Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shells are back in style!? How does one
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:43 am
Keep track of all the fashion changes and avoid faux pas!?

I am in Lakewood for yom tov from out of town and am surprised to see so many ladies and teens wearing short sleeve dresses with shells underneath. I feel like us out of towners were just getting the memo that shells were “out” and now they are “in” again.
lol I’m exhausted

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:53 am
It’s not in lol. Not since 2010 I believe. Though I do see it occasionally.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:54 am
It’s very much in now. We all found out when we went shopping. The layered look and short sleeves or sleeveless over a shell is in. So are many things that have been out for a while.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:58 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
It’s very much in now. We all found out when we went shopping. The layered look and short sleeves or sleeveless over a shell is in. So are many things that have been out for a while.

Yeah I’m seeing that a lot too…

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:00 am
I've been keeping far away from this look. Seriously, I don't need a Jewish store to sell me a short sleeve dress. If I wanted that look I can get it for half price at the department store. I come to your store for a finished look, thank you very much.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:08 am
amother Broom wrote:
I've been keeping far away from this look. Seriously, I don't need a Jewish store to sell me a short sleeve dress. If I wanted that look I can get it for half price at the department store. I come to your store for a finished look, thank you very much.

I remember a few years ago I walked into a Frum store and said I need a shirt that is Tzunis off the shelf not something I need 5 shirts underneath for it to be Tzunis.

I went shopping before Peasch for clothes and everything I saw in the Jewish stores where Tzunis off the shelf.
I do know of people who brought from non-Jewish stores and where wearing shells.

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:53 am
I never stopped wearing shells LOL
But only under sleeveless, not short sleeve. And I didn't buy those from frum stores. Frum clothing stores never fit me... I am so odd shaped. Small and my arms are just not meant for frum clothing.

I am hoping they are back in style. It is so hard to buy shells!! The dresses everyone wears make me look like a sack. Or hit me all wrong...

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:56 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
Yes I find out what’s in by asking the sales lady Very Happy

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 3:02 am
amother Broom wrote:

I couldn’t agree with you more.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 3:23 am
Shells are in

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:04 am
I am not into styles.I still wear shells.I can buy tops on Amazon and shein and don't have to worry about the sleeves or neckline. In Brooklyn I see a lot of people wearing dresses now, that's what's in style, I think. Lol.

cupcake123

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:06 am
Haha! I was just about to finally throw out all my shells BH I held onto them 🤣

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:11 am
I love shells. Opens the door to way more clothing. I never stopped wearing shells and never will. I like nonJewish clothing prices way more.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:18 am
I saw a lot of vests in frum stores so those are worn over shells

hello45

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:22 am
I’m into style and fashion and I didn’t stop wearing shells and neither did a lot of other very stylish people that I know. Depends how short the sleeve is though and the style of the dress. I think it’s also community dependent.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 1:52 am
hello45 wrote:
I’m into style and fashion and I didn’t stop wearing shells and neither did a lot of other very stylish people that I know. Depends how short the sleeve is though and the style of the dress. I think it’s also community dependent.

That’s true, sleeveless dresses (jumpers) were never out and same with v- neck cardigans.
All my very stylish in town friends always wore them with shells or mock/turtle necks in the winter.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:04 am
I live in Israel so hard to say what exactly is it in style. I’m in there. Definitely people that dress better here. But I didn’t see almost anything in the stores here that needed a shell. As long as it’s cotton I’m glad I was really happy to find it really colorful skirts. I could just wear with a cotton T-shirt and that’s what I wore for. Chag and during the week. I think it was pretty put together with a really nice skirt and wearing a simpler T-shirt with jewelry. It is just so hot here. I don’t have any worse is polyester clothing. I did hold onto officials just in case but honestly, I find them very hot here in Israel. Wearing them with two layers.

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:55 am
I got up this morning and put on a short sleeved dress with a shell that I have been wearing intermittently for the past three years. Thanks to this thread, I realized that I was in style again!

I wear what I like, and if it matches the current fashion that a plus. (I won't wear this dress when the weather gets too hot for two layers.)

lamplighter

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 10:43 am
I didn't notice them back in where I live.
They were very convenient, you could shop in the non Jewish stores and then just add a shell.

readreread

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 11:22 am
I miss autumn/fall because a thin turtleneck beneath a spaghetti-strap dress is such a banger. I do think shells are back, though.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics