Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
My daughter’s wig is so long
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 6:24 pm
I say this as someone who disappoints her mother with her long lace top wig.

Op is entitled to vent.

Op, you’re entitled to your feelings especially since peopke don’t have much control over that. I’m sorry that this hurts you. May Hashem grant you the clarity to see that this is not a reflection of you and this isn’t a sign of your daughter tarnishing her neshama. May she bring you loads of Nachas

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 6:29 pm
Op, I’m 30 and every wig I buy gets longer than my older one. My Yiddishkeit is amazing but my husband wants me to wear beautiful wigs, so I do it solely for him. His Yiddishkeit is amazing too, just saying.
My mother comments all the time. I brush the comments away but it’s really annoying.

This has nothing to do with Yiddishkeit or your parenting. Thank Hashem every day for your erlich children even thought they aren’t perfectly like you.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 6:31 pm
Op, totally valid there are many mothers in the same situation as you. Of course it hurts and duh crazy long wigs look unrefined. I think you should realize that yoddishkeit and connection ebbs and flows and just because she is holding here now, doesn’t mean she can’t change with time and maturity. For now now accept her and model the behavior you would love her to emulate without judgement and daven.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 6:35 pm
What bugs me most about op’s posts is the comments about her daughters connection with hashem and that if she would’ve “worked on” her daughters “lack” she would’ve turned out differently.

Is your daughter a machine?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 6:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Seafoam, I bH feel deep connection and joy in my yiddishkeit. My dd chose to stay in a similar derech to how she was raised. But, I think because she always cared a lot about others and about externals, she never developed a deep inner connection with Hashem. I figured that would come in time. Now I have regrets that I didn’t work on this issue more when she was younger. I don’t see this as a problem of our community. It’s a beautiful community. The framework is a very good one.

Some wigs look unrefined, I don’t think that’s a crazy statement.

I have a hard time understanding your last sentence. I’ve yet to see an unrefined wig, barring all streaks of the rainbow in one

Bethany85

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 6:46 pm
Drawing conclusions about people’s level of personal connection to Hashem based on their wig length is nauseating.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:05 pm
Auch! A lot of judges in this post.
I totally get ypu, OP. My kids are small, however I see in my environment some lack of tzniut. It is not the length of the wig or the clothes, but the actitudes with which some close women move arround.
I think and feel that it is a distinction between wanted to be pretty in an elegant way, and showing or focusing in your body beauty.
I am still young and I do my best to be pretty for my dh at home and in privacy, but I really pay attention in how I move and dress in public spheres.

Perhaps you can share with her some casual conversation about tzniut. When doing that you should listen to her without judging her, with open ears and an open hearth.
Women in the time of yetziat mitzraim is the best example of tzniut. Women used to paint their faces with black coal to hide themselves from the sight of mitzrim and at the same time they took care of their beauty with the little mirrors they had in order to be atractive to their husbands. Maybe you can just slip this or other stories into a conversation and see what happens.

Davening is always good. Also is it to watch to our own no-so-tzniut action. Most of the time, when we see outside ourselves something that bother us is some kind of reflection of our klipot and flaws.

I wish you and your daughter the best!

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:20 pm
Just want to add that sometimes when you get a new wig it takes time to figure out. Like you don't want to cut it too short because then you might regret it. And maybe she wanted to try a new style... Many times after a few washes you end up cutting it and restyling to suit your whole look and face.

Imateacher

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:21 pm
How long is her wig?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:42 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
Op, I’m 30 and every wig I buy gets longer than my older one. My Yiddishkeit is amazing but my husband wants me to wear beautiful wigs, so I do it solely for him. His Yiddishkeit is amazing too, just saying.
My mother comments all the time. I brush the comments away but it’s really annoying.

This has nothing to do with Yiddishkeit or your parenting. Thank Hashem every day for your erlich children even thought they aren’t perfectly like you.

Uch, can't stand when husbands want wives to wear certain stuff especially in public.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:50 pm
OP your daughter is covering her hair. You should feel nothing but pride.

Aurora

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:51 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Auch! A lot of judges in this post.
I totally get ypu, OP. My kids are small, however I see in my environment some lack of tzniut. It is not the length of the wig or the clothes, but the actitudes with which some close women move arround.
I think and feel that it is a distinction between wanted to be pretty in an elegant way, and showing or focusing in your body beauty.
I am still young and I do my best to be pretty for my dh at home and in privacy, but I really pay attention in how I move and dress in public spheres.

Perhaps you can share with her some casual conversation about tzniut. When doing that you should listen to her without judging her, with open ears and an open hearth.
Women in the time of yetziat mitzraim is the best example of tzniut. Women used to paint their faces with black coal to hide themselves from the sight of mitzrim and at the same time they took care of their beauty with the little mirrors they had in order to be atractive to their husbands. Maybe you can just slip this or other stories into a conversation and see what happens.

Davening is always good. Also is it to watch to our own no-so-tzniut action. Most of the time, when we see outside ourselves something that bother us is some kind of reflection of our klipot and flaws.

I wish you and your daughter the best!

What's the source for the black coal? Never heard of it before, and I love Midrashim

tichellady

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:57 pm
I’m confused why you think wanting to look attractive means a lack of connection with Hashem. I don’t see any connection between the two in any way

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:18 pm
tichellady wrote:
I’m confused why you think wanting to look attractive means a lack of connection with Hashem. I don’t see any connection between the two in any way

This is the most confusing thing about this post. Ok, OP is disappointed in her daughter that her tznius standards are lower now than the way she was raised. But connection with hashem? Davening? What does one have to do with the other? Her connection with Hashem could be stronger than her mothers (and based less on externals) nothing to do with the length of wig and davening. Strange.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:20 pm
I don’t know if this is your first married child or how long exactly she’s been married, but I think you would do well to disengage your personal feelings from your children’s choices. You will see your children do things you wouldn’t do in their parenting, their life choices, big decisions… and if every time your reaction is that this is because I didn’t do a good enough job as their mother, you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of emotional anguish and upset. You did your part in raising your children with good values and proper chinuch, but they are adults now making their own decisions. Learn to look at the big picture of your children’s lives- hopefully they are frum, married, parents, happy… and feel proud that you raised wholesome happy people who are able to live independent lives and make their own choices with confidence.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:40 pm
how long is it?

Cheiny

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
I hope not, because I don’t want my dd to know how I feel. Just venting.

I feel like I wasn’t a good enough mother and didn’t give over love of yiddishkeit properly. I know everyone here is going to hate my post, but that’s how I feel. I wish I could go back in time and do better.

You’re taking personally her decision as to what type of wig to wear when in Reality I’m sure you had nothing to do with it nor was she even thinking of you when she chose it. Obviously the look of the wig does something for her, or perhaps her dh wanted it or she’s trying to impress him or others, ie friends, etc. but it’s nothing to do with you. You can only raise them the way you want when they’re younger…once they’re adults they make their own decisions.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:09 pm
that's the style. I went to buy somethingnew, chin length, and they only had really long ones. that's whats made now

CPenzias

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:10 pm
Really sad that the op is so upset about a physical attribute. This is a stark reminder of how disgusted I feel with the system.
Focus so much on outside appearance rather than middos. Where are your priorities?

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:11 pm
OP please don't put yourself down. Our children have their own tests and ways to develop. You did what you did at home which was your best. She needs to find where she stands to have a relationship with G-d in this world. This has nothing to do with you. Daven but you need to let go. Keep the communication open. That's what our children need at any age.
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels