Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
What is in the same class as cashews for allergies?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:38 pm
My teenage son had an allergic reaction to Sunflower seeds a few months ago.
Now he reacted to cashews in the same way.
We never knew he had any allergies.
What other foods are in this class that we should be on the lookout for?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:41 pm
Pistachios could be related. But I have to tell you that you should be avoiding all nuts and seeds because they are all processed in the same plants.

juggling

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:50 pm
Usually cashew allergy and pistachio allergy go together. Have you been to an allergist for proper testing? A good allergist will also give you guidance on how to manage the allergy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:51 pm
No, I never had him tested.
I never knew he had any allergies until a few months ago when he reacted to sunflowers.

juggling

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:54 pm
I would take him for testing. Allergies can be life-threatening. The more you know, the more you can avoid a life-threatening emergency.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:05 pm
I will.. he learns oot. But I will try to do it now while he is home.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:12 pm
Cashews and sunflower seeds are not in the same category of allergies. Cashews are tree nuts like almonds hazelnuts walnuts macadamia nuts and all the other nuts that are Ha’etz
Sunflowers seeds are seeds like sesame seeds and others with the Bracha Haadama

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:17 pm
I have a child allergic to cashews and allergist said pink peppercorn and sumac are related. But of course you could have allergies to other things too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:24 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Cashews and sunflower seeds are not in the same category of allergies. Cashews are tree nuts like almonds hazelnuts walnuts macadamia nuts and all the other nuts that are Ha’etz
Sunflowers seeds are seeds like sesame seeds and others with the Bracha Haadama

Right. That's why it was unexpected. He said he felt the same sort of reaction.
Maybe he needs to stay off of all nuts and seeds for now. Until we get some clarity. .

I think he is fine with Almonds.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:34 pm
My child is allergic to cashews pistachio hazelnuts and sesame and ok with most other nuts

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:40 pm
Please please please take him to an allergist ASAP for specific testing.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:41 pm
My ds is allergic to cashews and pistachios. No other nuts. I was told to test for mango and poison ivy. Bh none showed up for him. He eats mango regularly.

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 3:10 am
amother Crocus wrote:
My child is allergic to cashews pistachio hazelnuts and sesame and ok with most other nuts

Wow my child has the exact same list of nuts/ seeds!

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 5:00 am
My daughter is allergic to pistachios, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, cashews. She isn't allergic to walnuts, peanuts, almonds. Bh its not life threatening but her face does swell up and Benadryl helps her throw it all up.

newmommy22

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 8:59 am
My son's allergist says cashews almost always go with pistachios. Does he have any issues with other tree nuts? Is this the first time he has had cashews in a little while? Probably best to go to an allergist to figure things out but if there are any other tree nuts that he routinely eats he shouldn't avoid them

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 9:04 am
What kind of reaction has he had?

As other have said, cashews and sesame don't go together. One's a tree nut, the other's a seed. (My son is allergic to sesame but not any tree nuts.)

Also, it is very important not to eliminate foods without good reason to. Kids with allergic tendencies tend to develop sensitivity to foods they avoid even if previously they were eating them without issue. Best to continue eating everything except what he's had clear reactions to and go see an allergist for further maintenance and recommendations.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 9:14 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
What kind of reaction has he had?

As other have said, cashews and sesame don't go together. One's a tree nut, the other's a seed. (My son is allergic to sesame but not any tree nuts.)

Also, it is very important not to eliminate foods without good reason to. Kids with allergic tendencies tend to develop sensitivity to foods they avoid even if previously they were eating them without issue. Best to continue eating everything except what he's had clear reactions to and go see an allergist for further maintenance and recommendations.

His lip blew up, his throat became scratchy and his face broke out in hives. Same reaction to both the sunflower seeds and the cashews.
I don't think he generally eats any nuts. He was eating a cookie that had cashew butter in it.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 10:01 am
amother OP wrote:
His lip blew up, his throat became scratchy and his face broke out in hives. Same reaction to both the sunflower seeds and the cashews.
I don't think he generally eats any nuts. He was eating a cookie that had cashew butter in it.

I suggest you see an allergist ASAP. Those are significant reactions.

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:27 pm
OP, speaking as both a nurse and a parent of a child with tree nut allergies (cashew and pistachio):

These symptoms require immediate attention= CALL HATZOLAH. Reactions often get worse each time and can be life threatening:
Scratchy throat, throat tightening
Swelling tongue/lips
Trouble breathing or nonstop coughing
A feeling of impending doom- like if he says he feels that something really bad will happen.

Do not ignore or hope they will subside. Call hatzolah immediately, even on Shabbos or yom tov.

You should also be aware that even if someone gets an epi-pen from hatzolah they will still need to go to the hospital to be cared for once the epi wears off and in case there's a second stage reaction.

And hatzlocha- this can be really scary and overwhelming. There are so many of us here who deal with this every day and we are here for you! Please come ask all your questions!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 3:05 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
OP, speaking as both a nurse and a parent of a child with tree nut allergies (cashew and pistachio):

These symptoms require immediate attention= CALL HATZOLAH. Reactions often get worse each time and can be life threatening:
Scratchy throat, throat tightening
Swelling tongue/lips
Trouble breathing or nonstop coughing
A feeling of impending doom- like if he says he feels that something really bad will happen.

Do not ignore or hope they will subside. Call hatzolah immediately, even on Shabbos or yom tov.

You should also be aware that even if someone gets an epi-pen from hatzolah they will still need to go to the hospital to be cared for once the epi wears off and in case there's a second stage reaction.

And hatzlocha- this can be really scary and overwhelming. There are so many of us here who deal with this every day and we are here for you! Please come ask all your questions!!

Oh gosh. This sounds very scary.
Let me ask you- I do have a few epipens (auvi-q) from my other son. He is 4, so the dosage is obviously different. My older son is 17.
But if cv this happens again, should I give it to my older son? I don't see myself getting to the doctor before Wednesday, isru chag.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics