Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
3 month old not making eye contact

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 9:24 am
My daughter came to visit with her baby yesterday. I haven't seen the baby since he was 1 month.

I noticed that he avoids making eye contact. When I try to talk to him, he looks everywhere but at me. My other daughter noticed the same. His head also seems a bit floppy to me.

His mother (my daughter) mentioned to me that he is not a cuddler. I noticed that as well, as he won't relax against my body when I hold him.

Is this something to be concerned about?

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 9:30 am
Did your daughter speak to her pediatrician about it?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 11:08 am
Yes and he said the baby is tracking perfectly.
But I am not reassured.
This baby reminds me of one of my own kids who did not make eye contact and was very stiff as a baby. He turned out to be on the spectrum. None of the doctors picked up on it either until we had him tested as a young teen.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 11:10 am
he seems very young to be worrying about eye contact, esp if he doesn't know you. does he look at his mother's face? I would say, you mentioned it to her, she should just keep in mind if other symptoms appear or floppiness doesn't improve.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 11:45 am
He's a little young. Doesn't mean your intuition is wrong but it is still within normal limits technically.

tichellady

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 11:55 am
I know you mean well but I wouldn’t say anything. My mom is forever worrying about her grandchildren’s development and driving us crazy . Even if there is an issue there may be nothing to do at this point. Worrying is not gonna help

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 12:01 pm
My kid was also not facing and did not at toddler hood either. I had a hard time nursing too as baby turned away. Was also stiff and and started walking later as my other kids. As a young child we did self therapy with child to focus. It was hard and still is now as a teenager. But definitely not on the spectrum.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 12:03 pm
My child was also not making eye contact and it was because he needed glasses

patzer

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 12:08 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
My child was also not making eye contact and it was because he needed glasses

Since this baby is tracking well with his eyes, I would assume it's not a vision issue.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 12:30 pm
tichellady wrote:
I know you mean well but I wouldn’t say anything. My mom is forever worrying about her grandchildren’s development and driving us crazy . Even if there is an issue there may be nothing to do at this point. Worrying is not gonna help

I appreciate this.
My other kids have been making comments and I could see my daughter does not appreciate it at all.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 1:40 pm
She can get an evaluation through early intervention

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:10 pm
Been there with my dtr hers was a vision issue but I was very nervous about autisim. Was so painful having a baby who wasn’t responding to me or looking at me
I’m sure your daughter is worrying about it and doesn’t need to hear more
An eye doctor can diagnose and give her glasses if she needs

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:11 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Fri, Apr 26 2024, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:13 pm
amother Copper wrote:
She can get an evaluation through early intervention

Unless she was premature or has a genetic condition, early intervention is not going to flag a 3 month old for limited eye contact and loose muscles. It's still within normal limits even though many babies are ahead of that.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:15 pm
Often once a kid is diagnosed at 3 parents look back and recognize they had these symptoms. Hs might be on the spectrum. But they won’t diagnose at this age so there really isn’t anything to do yet. But if his neck muscles seem to stay weak she should go for an ot and pt eval.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:19 pm
Ooc, let's say he is on the spectrum. Is there anything you can do about it now?

And definitely agree, keep an eye out but stop mentioning it. Let your daughter enjoy her baby!!

amother
Gardenia

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 2:20 pm
My six month old avoids eye contact when she's tired or overstimulated. She seems perfectly normal just a more introverted soul!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 5:47 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Ooc, let's say he is on the spectrum. Is there anything you can do about it now?

And definitely agree, keep an eye out but stop mentioning it. Let your daughter enjoy her baby!!

I haven't said anything to her at all.
But my other (single) kids have made comments. I told them all to stop.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 5:51 pm
If an infant is on the spectrum, they should begin floor time. If your DD is concerned, she should go to a developmental pediatrician.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:42 am
I had this with my baby at 3 months- weak eye contact and no cuddling. I actually got approved for EI at 4 months(ot,pt,speech,di). I made sure to tell evaluators that there is a family history of asd ect. my child is 18m now and still red flagging for asd but did not get a proper eval yet. and yes, I only picked up on these things bec of older child with asd, and everyone told me I'm just paranoid. I'm not:(
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics