Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
I hate the antisemitism I’m feeling OOT

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 9:18 pm
I’m from New York and I’m in the South for Pesach. I can’t stand the constant glaring looks I get. I feel a level of anti semitism that is deep. New York has plenty, but people are also used to frum Jews there. Over here, I feel as if some of the non Jews give my husband and me such evil looks as if they see us as people they want to destroy and harm. I don’t know the words exactly, but I feel less safe here than in NY despite there’s a lot less crime. This town attracts a lot of families on vacation who may have never seen Jews in their lives. My husband is bothered that they don’t like us. I don’t care if they don’t like us but I hate the lack of safety and the stares I get when I go to the laundry room at the condo and the group of young teens in shorts so small you can see their tuchis start staring at me and whispering. I hate the deep stares I receive. It’s ugly and it makes me angry and scared at once. I think it’s worse since the October 7 war began and the “Palestine” movement grew. Especially the younger generation on social media who are consumed by millions of gen z kids that are probably staying on my block here. And I’ve never even thought about these things in my life, nor hate I ever felt hated for being a Jew until recently.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 9:24 pm
Not sure what the size of shorts has to do with anything but otherwise I get you. I feel it in town too. From the mail man to the ups driver to the non Jewish bus drivers. And I live in one of the most Jewish cities in the US. Hope we get out of galos very soon.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 9:25 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Not sure what the size of shorts has to do with anything but otherwise I get you. I feel it in town too. From the mail man to the ups driver to the non Jewish bus drivers. And I live in one of the most Jewish cities in the US. Hope we get out of galos very soon.

I meant how I must stand out in my skirts and I even smile and say good morning but they give me this evil stare and part of it is how they look at my clothes

Cheiny

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 9:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
I meant how I must stand out in my skirts and I even smile and say good morning but they give me this evil stare and part of it is how they look at my clothes

Might it be more because these kids see you dressed differently than what they’re used to seeing and not necessarily because you’re Jewish? Might it be your fears about anti semitism that are making you read more into their actual behavior than might actually be there?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 9:37 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Might it be more because these kids see you dressed differently than what they’re used to seeing and not necessarily because you’re Jewish? Might it be your fears about anti semitism that are making you read more into their actual behavior than might actually be there?

It’s possible, but I know what’s out there on tik tok in that age group and the level of hatred spewed against Jews has literally reached millions of teens and young adults, and I’ve never been one who is nervous of how people look at me in general…I feel venom, hopefully I’m over exaggerating but one of them pointed and whispered and they all walked out of the large laundry room giving me looks when they had been sitting there chilling on the chairs prior.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 9:57 pm
Cheiny wrote:

I don't want to negate the op's feelings but I think you're probably right. We were at very crowded mostly non jewish venues Thursday and Friday. Many yarmulkas and obviously frum families there as well. I didn't notice anyone giving me a dirty look. I haven't noticed my mailman or fedex guy either looking at me funny.

amother
Birch

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:36 pm
I'm actually curious where you are on vacation so people more familiar with the area can weigh in about how it usually is there all the years before the world turned upside down.

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 11:10 pm
Is there anything other than looks that is bothering you? Because looks could be for a bunch of reasons. I live OOT and have seen very little antisemitism.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 11:16 pm
I was driving through a small town where they likely never met any Jews and got very uncomfortable looks.

I will say though that most people who have never seen Jews before might not assume you are Jewish based on your appearance. Even yarmulkes they don't necessarily think Jewish. Some people just state because you look different.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 11:23 pm
amother Puce wrote:
Is there anything other than looks that is bothering you? Because looks could be for a bunch of reasons. I live OOT and have seen very little antisemitism.

Ya same. I think they just don’t know and are trying to figure you out. Also, I actually found that many non Jews here (Christian’s mostly and some who don’t affiliate but believe the Jews are right) believe that the Jews are right and righteous and the Israel belongs to the Jews and Israel is doing the right thing and the Messiah will come through the Jews. So I actually see a lot of the opposite of what you’re talking about oot

amother
Geranium

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 11:58 pm
Have you tried being friendly?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:05 am
I totally feel you. Live in NY. I went to a Walgreens on Friday and Abdul was at the cashier… you can see the hatred coming out of his face and body… I had to sign my name on a device and literally threw it at me.

Although I grew up frum and dress frum, I never felt particular pride for being a Jew. I was a Jew and that is how I was born. I never thought about it. But the last few months and especially these past few weeks I’m starting to feel so proud to be Jewish.

I’m even thinking of starting to wear a Magen dovid necklace but I don’t know if it’s safe.

These antisemites have woken up Jewish pride all over. Even people that were never religious and didn’t even connect to Judaism are now being forced to and they’re rising to the occasion. I’m so proud of so many Jewish students on campus standing up for themselves and speaking loud and proud. I don’t know if I’d have the guts but it’s inspiring. Stand tall and proud and walk to the laundry room with your head held high! Our Avos and Imahos and all our ancestors are standing right beside you!! Esther hamalka is going to give you strength! You have nothing to fear or feel intimidated. They’re ignorant and anti semitic… nothing new here unfortunately…

HaShem will protect us.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:21 am
Not my experience and I live in a very liberal city. I’m sorry you are dealing with this

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:34 am
tichellady wrote:
Not my experience and I live in a very liberal city. I’m sorry you are dealing with this

My city I live in is liberal and it actually feels more safe than here

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:52 am
Teenagers. Maybe they were smoking pot or making out and were pissed at you because they felt they needed to hide it from random adult?

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 1:06 am
I agree 100%

I'm also OOT for pesach and I'm feeling bad vibes all over the place. I was never one to blame anything on antisemitism but wow, it seems real.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 7:05 am
I’m sorry, OP and everyone else who is experiencing this. It sounds really unpleasant and - given the general rise in antisemitism - scary.

I’ve found that sometimes even people who agree with frum Jews on Israel and are politically or morally more conservative can be unfriendly or not so polite when they meet one of us in person. Not saying that’s definitely going on here, but it’s something I’ve experienced.

fmt4

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 8:06 am
If you’re referring mostly to teenagers then I doubt it’s anti semitism. Teenagers don’t like people that they perceive as looking different or weird to them. You probably look weird or funny in their eyes. They’re not used to people who dress the way you do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics