Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How far from shul would you buy a house?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:24 am
We've been looking for a house for a while now. Something came up that my husband really likes, and I like it too.its kind of far from the shul he likes to daven at(1.1 miles). Would you buy it anyway? The real estate agent thinks more houses will come up within the next few weeks. The other thing is that this house is super affordable.... we would be able to buy it with no mortgage or a very small one.

My big kids don't care about the distance,. My older girls are happy to go to any shul on shabbos where there friends daven. My big boys are in yeshiva mostly for shabbos davening. I'm more concerned about my younger boys... they like to go to shul with their father, and is the long walk going to wear them down really quickly?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:25 am
I wouldn’t consider it

teachkids

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:29 am
Is there another shul closer he would go to for mincha and maariv? Walking that for shabbos morning isn't bad. Walking that 3 times every shabbos is a lot.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:29 am
I wouldn’t either buy it.. you’ll iyh find a better one and closer to your shul..

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:30 am
If there's a local shul, even if it's not ur husbs first choice, but he can go there shbs if it's raining, late riday nights... then I don't think it's an issue.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:32 am
We live one mile from shul and it’s ok. I would prefer to live closer but it works fine for us

realtalk

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:32 am
You also have to consider neighbors for your kids to play with if you're that far and also if you're in the eruv.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:35 am
I grew up around that distance from the local shul. It never occurred to me that it was unusual. The walk was fine. My father normally walks there (from choice) during the week, as well as Shabbos.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:38 am
How long in minutes is something you must try with them. Not trust Google map

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:40 am
I agree with the previous posters. We lived a mile from the closest Shul for two years and it really wasn’t ideal. We couldn’t mesh well in the community and whenever there was extreme weather (too hot or too cold), my husband didn’t go to Shul. We all made an effort to go in the beginning, but six months in I stopped going completely and about a year in, my husband stopped going in too hot/cold weather. Now we live a half mile from Shul and my kids have friends nearby and we can easily walk to Shul whenever we like. It’s a hard choice, because having no mortgage is a big plus and as you get closer to the frum community, real estate prices go up. So I agree that if there are friends nearby and a less ideal Shul nearby, it’s still worth it, but if not, it’s really not the best plan. Also keep in mind whether there are hills and how extreme the weather gets.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:42 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm more concerned about my younger boys... they like to go to shul with their father, and is the long walk going to wear them down really quickly?

If they are old enough to spend a morning sitting in shul, they are probably also old enough to walk a mile without much trouble. They'll get used to the walk, and it will give them some good exercise before a few hours of sitting still.

nicole81

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:56 am
If your husband is fine with the walk and you don't care to go to shul or can do it once every so often, and your kids are happy and neighbors are good, I don't see why not.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:58 am
We bought a house 15 minute walk away from shul, but in an area that is growing. Within a few years we had a minyan on our block.

Do you think the mile walk is forever or temporary?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:59 am
I think it really depends on the walk. Is it flat or hilly? Do you have sidewalks? Do you have to walk on a very main road?
We live about a mile from our shul and it’s fine, but it’s a main city where everything is flat and it’s a very easy walk.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 11:05 am
I think you have to know yourself and your husband to be able to decide this. Are you the type to push yourself and walk a mile even in excessive rain or heat? If yes, then this will work for you. In the beginning you'll have to push yourselves really hard but after a few months you'll be used to it.

I lived 30 minutes walk away from shul for 2 years, then a new shul opened that's only a 15 minutes walk. My husband never thinks twice if we should go to shul even if there's 18 inches of snow..

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 11:09 am
I think its more about your attitude about it. Like if your husband complains about the walk the kids will resent it. If he makes it fun like he looks forward to a little fresh air and you all keep it positive I think its fine. A mile isnt so bad I grew up this way no one thought twice about it. But my family was very into walking hiking/ outdoorsy etc. when the kids were little my mother would often take us all to to pick up my father from shul so it wasnt resented but a privilege like you behave you can come.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 11:17 am
I did not read the thread.

I grew up oot and was always 1 to 1.5 miles from shul. It was more concentrated near the shuls but there were still frum pple 'near' us and past us so we werent chutz lemachaneh and it was "normal" so friends came etc.

I live in lakewood now and 1 mile is considered very far away!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 11:38 am
This is really helpful.
A few things:
House is for sure in the eruv
Walk is bout 17 minutes for my husband, 22 for me. I would likely go when there is a simcha, kiddush, etc... most other weeks I would go to shul closer to home
There are plenty of other shuls nearby and closer, just my husband likes this one (very much likes the Rav)
There are other frum families in the area,
Walk is not hilly

I don't think this is temporary..... There are shuls closer but this is the one. Y husband likes.

teachkids

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 11:43 am
amother OP wrote:
This is really helpful.
A few things:
Walk is bout 17 minutes for my husband, 22 for me. I would likely go when there is a simcha, kiddush, etc... most other weeks I would go to shul closer to home
There are plenty of other shuls nearby and closer, just my husband likes this one (very much likes the Rav)
Walk is not hilly

I don't think this is temporary..... There are shuls closer but this is the one. Y husband likes.

I think this is totally fine

Petra

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 11:43 am
amother OP wrote:
This is really helpful.
A few things:
Walk is not hilly

Sounds very reasonable to buy to me. You have shul options and either way, the walk doesn't seem bad.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics