Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Did you allow your teens to read the supplement stories?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:30 pm
Were you comfortable having your teens read the mishpacha stories in the Pesach edition? I felt they were not so appropriate for high schoolers and was wondering if others felt the same way. The authors wrote well, that is not what I’m referring to.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:31 pm
I didn't stop them. I can't think of any specific stories that would be worrisome...

amother
Brass

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:33 pm
I found some of them strange but didnt see a problem for a teenager

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:35 pm
I think they mostly went over my younger teens heads. I didn't stop them.

UQT

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:42 pm
Curious which stories in particular you are worried about. I read everything so it’s all a blur. But yes my 17 year old read it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:46 pm
My 15 year old daughter read them before me. At the meal later, she wanted to know if in real life couples fight so much and are so immature…

ETA
This is in reference to all the story supplements- not one specific magazine.

But I did see quite a bit of bickering between couple and siblings in the supplements this year.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:46 pm
I think there was worse in the past. I had no issues with this supplement at all
To echo the poster above, most of the stories were extremely immature, no intelligent teen would fall for any of it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:51 pm
Gonna start a spin-off, but I did begin to wonder if couples/adult siblings normally bicker much more than I think and if I’m perhaps out of touch with the younger generation…

I can’t imagine arguing with my husband for so long about where to spend the seder or be so difficult towards a sibling

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:55 pm
Didn't let my 13yr old read it. I kept it in my bathroom. There was so much bickering and fighting and pettiness, why do I need that be part of her forming her worldview and opinions about life?

amother
Honey

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:55 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Gonna start a spin-off, but I did begin to wonder if couples/adult siblings normally bicker much more than I think and if I’m perhaps out of touch with the younger generation…

I can’t imagine arguing with my husband for so long about where to spend the seder or be so difficult towards a sibling

Where to spend the Seder can be quite a touchy issue, it's understandable that everyone wants to be at their parents where they feel most comfortable.
The ending to this story was so bizarre ( I know it's the Ami and I know it was satire but really?). Idk, perhaps I outgrew these type of stories.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:01 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Where to spend the Seder can be quite a touchy issue, it's understandable that everyone wants to be at their parents where they feel most comfortable.
The ending to this story was so bizarre ( I know it's the Ami and I know it was satire but really?). Idk, perhaps I outgrew these type of stories.

I thought it was fun

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:03 pm
Ugh. I buy the Ami and my 13 year old reads everything. I feel horrible about it. Why does she have to read all the adult stuff? The divorced family, the bickering... I think I'll start buying her more kids magazines. She reads a ton and needs lots to read...

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:09 pm
If my child (read teenager ) read a story that doesnt represent the best of us and isnt an example or role model, I would talk to him/her about it, giving examples to what led to the disaster and perhaps mitigate the fact that they read it - by using it as a tool what behaviors are destructive and avoidable.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:23 pm
Yes my teens 14 &17 read them...

Some stories provoked lots of questions...like the separation story ... the guy that joined the cult. They were also taken back how some couples treat each other and fight (Ami pesach story of the couple that landed in other house) which was sweet that thinking we were blessed enough not to have to endure it (dh and I come from dysfunct backgrounds where we actually never saw a healthy marriage
.. yet now I worry if they know about healthy conflict resolution

All in all I didn't mind the conversations they stirred up.

joyful mom

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:12 am
I didn't feel comfortable for my teenagers to read the supplement from one of the magazines. I tried to keep it hidden in my bedroom away from them, hoping they will not ask for it.

giftedmom

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:23 am
I read lots of crazy things as a kid, most of it went over my head. I let dd read all Frum magazines, occasionally she has questions and we talk about it.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:30 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:

Actually that story was extremely relatable to me. Im that sibbling who is always judged by my other sibblings. Except by me my parents agree with them so there's that. And im also far from wealthy.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:34 am
amother Honey wrote:

I also felt like I've read it before... I wonder if it was a reprint.

In general, many of the stories in the AMI supplement were over-the-top, bare bones (hardly any plot), and seemed as if the authors were sending in a draft story for a serial

amother
SandyBrown

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:56 am
Lawn Green, I have to assume you're a fairly recent member or one who visits very seldom. If you were a regular here, you couldn't possibly say "I can't believe people behave this way" with a straight face. This site is precisely where I learn just how badly people can behave, even after discounting most stories here by 50% to allow for the narrator's biased view.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:58 am
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I also felt like I've read it before... I wonder if it was a reprint.

In general, many of the stories in the AMI supplement were over-the-top, bare bones (hardly any plot), and seemed as if the authors were sending in a draft story for a serial

It was definitely a reprint. Not sure from how long ago or which magazine. But I keep all my story supplements and reread them over and over. And I definitely read that exact story in one of them recently.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room