Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
22 yr old son increasingly odd behaviors
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes, exactly this. We live in the Midwest, but would travel to east coast. Perhaps a good doc would be willing to do teleheath visits as well. He is also going back to Israel for the upcoming zman, so perhaps someone there..?
Is your child on the spectrum?

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:53 am
Dr.. Phyllis Heffner in Maryland will help you address the underlying issues contributing to the odd behaviors. She does work remotely.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:12 am
amother Blush wrote:
Is your child on the spectrum?

No. He's a regular boy. The low key behavior he has had occasionally presented in the past was always centered around stressful events in his life. So in my mind these odd behaviors are strongly associated with stress.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:18 am
How is he in general is he the type to
Get anxiety or is it out of character. Because it can be psychological or it can be a virus

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:23 am
amother Ebony wrote:
Dr.. Phyllis Heffner in Maryland will help you address the underlying issues contributing to the odd behaviors. She does work remotely.

She does not practice outside of maryland. Even if an appointment is remote it's only for in MD if I rem correctly but with a try I guess

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:33 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
How is he in general is he the type to
Get anxiety or is it out of character. Because it can be psychological or it can be a virus

I guess overall he is somewhat anxious.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:36 am
amother OP wrote:
I guess overall he is somewhat anxious.

My so is not the anxious type but when he was 6 I switched school
For him and he was behind in Hebrew aleph bet and he started having these tics once I took him out they stopped. But I know that these type of tics can come from a virus also

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:38 am
amother OP wrote:
No. He's a regular boy. The low key behavior he has had occasionally presented in the past was always centered around stressful events in his life. So in my mind these odd behaviors are strongly associated with stress.

I have a child who had severe PANS.
Was diagnosed with an alphabet soup of mental diagnosises at 7. Asd. Adhd. Gad. Taurettes. Unspecified mood disorder. Depression. Odd. And there was even more.

At 8 she had scored above average (16 yesrs!) On intelligence and below kindergarten on other things in her neuropsych eval.

We went thru mainstream meds. It didn't help enough. She wasn't able to be mainstreamed in that state.
We then went the natural route.
She is now 11. And bh in school with some services. She still struggles socially a bit and is on intuniv. He ticks are 90% gone and her adhd Managable. All the other diagnosises fell away with body work/diet/vitamin/mineral program we put together for her.

Naturally, in stressful times all her symptoms got MUCH worse.

It's not a contradiction. Even tooth pain will usually get worse if your stressed out.
Stress makes everything worse. Especially if it's a niroligical issue.

Neurologists DO NOT offer mri and brain scans like candy. We begged for one. We were laughed at.
We were actually turned away from many neurologist as soon as they heard her symptoms. (Presented a lot as behavioral but also a lot of alarming Neurological issues.)

GL. I hope your son finds healing soon.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:39 am
This is the age of onset for more serious psychiatric disorders. Don't send him back to Israel without getting him checked out. I'd start with neurology or a skilled psychiatrist. Tic disorders generally improve with age- they typically don't get worse. You need to rule out more serious things.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:40 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:
What’s your medical degree? Yes they are root causes. Brain inflammation is not the answer to everything and anyone who thinks so is just not educated enough. Humans are complex with many things that are root causes. Including abnormalities, diseases, tumors, growths, and mental disorders. It’s ignorance to think it’s so simple to just say brain inflammation. Especially in the case of an adult where it can be something very serious that needs to be ruled out.

"What's your medical degree" this is an online forum where everyone is allowed to give their own opinion. Don't shut down other people's opinions because it differs from yours.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:41 am
How was his year in Israel. Did he have fun or was miserable

amother
Latte

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:42 am
It could also be some ocd going on. Maybe go for an evaluation with a psychologist to see if it fits those criteria. My anxious child exhibited some repetitive weird behaviors and it was diagnosed as ocd which we were then able to deal with through therapy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:55 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
How was his year in Israel. Did he have fun or was miserable
Wasn't happy but wasn't miserable.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:59 am
amother OP wrote:
Wasn't happy but wasn't miserable.

What does your intuition tell you that the reason is. It started before Israel. Was he happy in school and at home before? What do you feel strayed this whole thing. Is it emotional or physical.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:04 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
What does your intuition tell you that the reason is. It started before Israel. Was he happy in school and at home before? What do you feel strayed this whole thing. Is it emotional or physical.

My intuition tells me that it's emotional. His first episode when he was 9 was when I was suddenly hospitalized for 4 days after needing emergency surgery. He was very distressed at my sudden illness. They went away after a few days and then started a year later when we realized he was being bullied in school.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:05 am
amother OP wrote:
My intuition tells me that it's emotional. His first episode when he was 9 was when I was suddenly hospitalized for 4 days after needing emergency surgery. He was very distressed at my sudden illness. They went away after a few days and then started a year later when we realized he was being bullied in school.

So he needs a vacation and being away from bullies. He might have been bullied and or anxious in Israel

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:07 am
Do you have relatives and insurance in Israel?
These kind of diagnostic take time. To get an appointment and follow thru.
If you send him back, who will do that?
Is he socially well enough to stay in the dorm? Or tics are very prominent/bothersome?
He needs to have tolerant chavrusa and roommates.
Think carefully before sending him back. If he wasn't thrilled there, I would reconsider. It's probably very hard for him.
(Medical services might be cheaper in israel if you have to pay out of pocket)
Start with regular pcp for full blood work.
They might be able to prescribe mild anti anxiety meds and see if it helps.
Hatzlacha! Sounds tough!

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:09 am
amother OP wrote:

I just saw this. Definitely keep him home, find him a yeshiva nearby! And look for a therapist asap! (not instead of medical consult but in addition!)

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:

You mentioned not neurotypical so what did you mean

dankbar

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:20 am
Maybe something happened to him when he was in Israel? Like being abused? Could it be the tension of war going on there? Maybe he witnessed one of the horrors? Or was anxious about his safety in general?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics