Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Tips and hacks: sending son to camp for the first time
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 4:44 pm
Please share what they need/don’t need. I’m clueless! Hes in fifth grade If that matters. Tristate. Thanks!!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 5:00 pm
Please buy inexpensive clothes. Most of his clothing will either not come back or will be a biohazard.

Nosh boxes are important.

Cool sneakers and adidas are important.

Tip the counslors upon arrival.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 6:24 pm
No tighty whities underwear. I made that mistake one year..

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 6:30 pm
Tyros sport pants black and white or black on black.

UQT

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:06 pm
Most camp’s the boys bring a chair that they use when watching sports games or to schmooze outside the bunk.
Don’t label underwear, if it gets lost it’s lost. Better than the camp director yelling “Braun, we have your underwear”.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Please buy inexpensive clothes. Most of his clothing will either not come back or will be a biohazard.

Nosh boxes are important.

Cool sneakers and adidas are important.

Tip the counslors upon arrival.

Can u specify what u mean by a nosh box? Sorry if this is basic.

UQT

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:40 pm
Nosh box is a huge steralite box filled with noodle soups, beef jerky, chips, good old nosh. Kids keep all their food it in.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 8:45 pm
UQT wrote:
Nosh box is a huge steralite box filled with noodle soups, beef jerky, chips, good old nosh. Kids keep all their food it in.

Thanks so much! Is this supposed to fit under a bed? Really appreciate everyone taking time to answer my very specific questions!

amother
Melon

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 8:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much! Is this supposed to fit under a bed? Really appreciate everyone taking time to answer my very specific questions!

FYI food should never be stored under a bed.

Carry on

amother
Oak

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:09 pm
Adidas slides
Sterilite 3 drawer thingy
Baseball mitt

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:14 pm
Camping chair
Inside nosh box (xxlarge square sterilite type) tradition soups, jerky, cofffee packets and sugar packets, nosh like chips and pretzels, candy, water bottles and powder if he likes that
Flash light
Mesh bag to hold all shampoo, body wash, toothbrush..
2 laundry bags - 1 for dirty laundry 1 when it goes to laundry mat
Caps
Baseball mitt, basketball, hockey stick.. wtvr ur son is into but mitt is standard
Bug bite stick thing that takes away the itchiness
Lots of socks, underwear more than recommended
Tiros tiros tiros
Sport tees like adidas, Nike are more popular than basic tees
Slides - I send 2 pairs plus natives. I find my son wears slides so often there Nike, adidas or boss are popular
If he likes to read comic books - Jewish obviously
Deck cards and card games for shab afternoon
Few yarmulkes they tend to lose them
Junk glasses if he wears
Plastic drawers - they use them in addition to the shelf they get. We put underwear,pjs, and swim stuff in them. Tees and pants are ok to b out in open on shelf
I send basket for tees and pants so they don’t touch the shelf but it’s not necessary I don’t think
Pen and pencil with some paper I think they need for the morning but my son used it for other stuff too

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:19 pm
If he’s old enough to go to camp he’s old enough to label and pack himself

The first year sets the method for the many future years he will be going . Support him, guide him but DoNOT pack for him.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:55 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
If he’s old enough to go to camp he’s old enough to label and pack himself

The first year sets the method for the many future years he will be going . Support him, guide him but DoNOT pack for him.

I hear you but that’s not my style. We will pack together but I imagine this year I will do most of it with him near me. I don’t mind it’s my pleasure. My mother didn’t do those kinds of things for me.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:57 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Camping chair
Inside nosh box (xxlarge square sterilite type) tradition soups, jerky, cofffee packets and sugar packets, nosh like chips and pretzels, candy, water bottles and powder if he likes that
Flash light
Mesh bag to hold all shampoo, body wash, toothbrush..
2 laundry bags - 1 for dirty laundry 1 when it goes to laundry mat
Caps
Baseball mitt, basketball, hockey stick.. wtvr ur son is into but mitt is standard
Bug bite stick thing that takes away the itchiness
Lots of socks, underwear more than recommended
Tiros tiros tiros
Sport tees like adidas, Nike are more popular than basic tees
Slides - I send 2 pairs plus natives. I find my son wears slides so often there Nike, adidas or boss are popular
If he likes to read comic books - Jewish obviously
Deck cards and card games for shab afternoon
Few yarmulkes they tend to lose them
Junk glasses if he wears
Plastic drawers - they use them in addition to the shelf they get. We put underwear,pjs, and swim stuff in them. Tees and pants are ok to b out in open on shelf
I send basket for tees and pants so they don’t touch the shelf but it’s not necessary I don’t think
Pen and pencil with some paper I think they need for the morning but my son used it for other stuff too

This is extremely detailed and helpful thank you so much.

Actually have a specific quetion about tzisis. Do those get sent to camp laundry? How many pairs do you send?

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:21 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:

LOL LOL LOL

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 7:19 am
amother OP wrote:
This is extremely detailed and helpful thank you so much.

Actually have a specific quetion about tzisis. Do those get sent to camp laundry? How many pairs do you send?

He send them with the laundry. I send 9/10 pairs. T shirt type. Wonder what others do

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 3:00 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
He send them with the laundry. I send 9/10 pairs. T shirt type. Wonder what others do
do u send a mesh bag? Otherwise I would think they would get crazy tangled and ruined?

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 3:43 pm
If tzitzis get tangled, after untangling them, get them wet and hang them so the strings are straight. They'll dry straight.
They may break from being tangled.
I've never sent to camp, but sending an extra set of strings will give him an activity during downtime.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 7:20 pm
Omg, I'm a first time mom sending a son to sleep away camp. Are these lists legit??? Do people really send this much stuff??? Is that normal to spend $300 on clothing that he will only wear for a few weeks???

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 7:28 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Omg, I'm a first time mom sending a son to sleep away camp. Are these lists legit??? Do people really send this much stuff??? Is that normal to spend $300 on clothing that he will only wear for a few weeks???

Yup. I’m sending a girl to camp for the first time. $300 I wish lol
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps