Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Cost of Bungalow Rental in Catskills
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 3:52 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I still go to an old dumpy bungalow and I love it. Yes, it's hard work, but worth every bit of effort. And I pay around $5000 for my 2 bedroom dump for the summer. The kids are outside all day. Assuming my baby will learn to walk before we go this year, I will have a job to chase her, but at home she brings me her sweater all day and begs to go out.

We have a pool and a playground and frogs and toads and salamanders (outside). The upstairs neighbor's shower rains down on dd's bed (or it did until we moved the bed.) Our bucket was busy catching the drip under the kitchen sink, so I had to get a new one for the bedroom. (The owner doesn't fix leaks. He tells you to put your bucket under it.)

We do not all fit around our kitchen table, so all Shabbos meals are eaten at a picnic table on the porch. All the families who have that situation can sing zemiros together.

A friend asked me if we have central air conditioning. I laughed and said she's picturing the wrong kind of place. We do have window units in the bedrooms though.

The little kids go to day camp on grounds. The older kids go down the road or travel elsewhere.

And we love it.

Do you still have units available? Which place is this? 5k is a steal of a deal for any type of bungalow!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 4:07 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Do you still have units available? Which place is this? 5k is a steal of a deal for any type of bungalow!

Following. I'm also wondering which place this is?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:18 pm
I doubt there is anything available, but I'm not sure. Also, most of the bungalows are a bit more than mine because I have one of the smaller layouts. I'm not sure how much more though. The place is Sun Circle, on Route 42 in South Fallsburg.

realsilver

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:41 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
You have any idea how much it costs for a family to go for a few weeks?? We looked into it and decided it was more than we wanted to spend. We did go to NH at the end and stayed in an Airbnb for so much less (and much more room).
Also if you have older kids (teens) there isn’t much for them. Petting zoo and moonwalks is good for little kids.
And you can’t compare bungalow colony life with friends than staying somewhere with random people.
It’s a good getaway but it’s not instead of a bungalow colony.

its 400+ a night, depends how big the cabin is

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:48 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I doubt there is anything available, but I'm not sure. Also, most of the bungalows are a bit more than mine because I have one of the smaller layouts. I'm not sure how much more though. The place is Sun Circle, on Route 42 in South Fallsburg.

Lol from your description I knew it was sun circle and I think I went to ganz with you as a kid.

I tried getting into sun circle but there’s never any openings. I know people who’s parents are there and they can’t get in

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:57 am
amother Tulip wrote:
I’m with you. It’s insane. Being charged 15,500 for two bedroom bungalow. And owner constantly tells dh how he gets people offering to pay him more so he’s doing us the biggest favor... I can’t afford to buy, but this gets more and more unaffordable too. I feel so bad to take away my kids one opportunity to run free...

I understand why you would want to go, how is this your kids only chance yo run free? There is an entire world with places for kids to run around, starting even in your own city. This is not the only way to get that experience of running around and getting fresh air.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 12:02 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
I understand why you would want to go, how is this your kids only chance yo run free? There is an entire world with places for kids to run around, starting even in your own city. This is not the only way to get that experience of running around and getting fresh air.

No, there really isn’t. If I go to a park my kids are practically tethered to a leash.
If we go to a airbnb they are with us the whole time.
In the bungalow colony they get a few acres of land to explore and roam around on safely and freely, with a bunch of kids their age.
There’s truly nothing like it.

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 4:46 pm
It’s their only chance because I live in the city and don’t own a car. I have no energy for trips in boiling heat. In the country, they come and go as they please and live outdoors to their hearts content.

giftedmom

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 4:58 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
It’s their only chance because I live in the city and don’t own a car. I have no energy for trips in boiling heat. In the country, they come and go as they please and live outdoors to their hearts content.

I live in the city and my kids are out for hours. Yeah it’s a dirty sidewalk with no grass but they seem fine with that. I bought chalk, water balloons, and bubbles this week and my kids were instantly the celebrities of the block.

amother
Strawberry

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:10 pm
Dh never wanted to go and every summer I'm sad for my kids that they are stuck in the city.
I totally understand the ones that want the kids to run around.
Nothing like the country for the kids of you live in the city

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 6:57 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
Lol from your description I knew it was sun circle and I think I went to ganz with you as a kid.

I tried getting into sun circle but there’s never any openings. I know people who’s parents are there and they can’t get in

ha ha! me too!!! (about knowing sun circle and going to ganz!!)

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 6:58 pm
I pay under $7,000 for the summer for an old bungalow, so I guess I should count myself fortunate. but I only get the privilege to rent it out cuz I work there. LOL.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:50 am
the people that are suggesting New Hampshire or buying a house upstate or similar simply do not 'get' what country life is all about. they just don't.
'country' with it's frum connotation is s/t not imitated in any part of the world
I'm not sure why only a select few get to experience it but it is what it is
it isn't a summer home
it isn't a family getaway
it's s/t else entirely
BUT SIMPLY UNREACHABLE FOR MOST

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 9:50 am
amother Powderblue wrote:

Hi! Yes, there tends to be a shortage of bungalows.

pause

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:33 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
You have any idea how much it costs for a family to go for a few weeks?? We looked into it and decided it was more than we wanted to spend. We did go to NH at the end and stayed in an Airbnb for so much less (and much more room).
Also if you have older kids (teens) there isn’t much for them. Petting zoo and moonwalks is good for little kids.
And you can’t compare bungalow colony life with friends than staying somewhere with random people.
It’s a good getaway but it’s not instead of a bungalow colony.

Yep. Same here. I priced it out for five days and it was a ton of money for my family. Would you be able to link the Airbnb you enjoyed?

pause

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:38 am
kermit wrote:
That makes sense. I think it's $400/night for a smaller cabin, so I guess that's like around $3k for the week, which is on par with getting a bungalow. they have boating, hiking, biking, and segways for older kids -- but what do older kids do in general in a bungalow colony? I guess the friend/social aspect of having a makom kavuah summer home is important as kids get older!

The money doesn't equal. Bungalow colonies are open at least 10 weeks. No one pays 30k for a small cabin for the summer.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:42 am
Alwaysmiling wrote:
Not less thank 13k.
Good luck in finding one.

13K for renting a bungalow for 2 months?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:43 am
giftedmom wrote:
I live in the city and my kids are out for hours. Yeah it’s a dirty sidewalk with no grass but they seem fine with that. I bought chalk, water balloons, and bubbles this week and my kids were instantly the celebrities of the block.

Good for you but you do go to the country so you don’t have a leg in this conversation.

Comes July and August, especially on the weekends, there is no one left in the city to give your kids celebrity status.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics