Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Trampoline vs other injuries, anecdotal
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 1:43 am
We have an in ground trampoline which is very common in our city. B"H no injuries. We've had it around 12 years. We only allow 2 kids at a time and very young kids need to jump alone or with an adult. And yes my kids do somersaults, flips..

amother
Brown

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:35 am
I find it so intresting how so many find the trampoline safer then other activities .
2 of my kids have broken bones on a trampoline (a few years apart)
One was a broken leg from being double jumped by a heavier child and the other was a broken collar bone.
Both times we went to the er I was told by every dr I saw that they thought trampolines should be banned and they see so many injuries on a daily basis from them.

seeker

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:35 am
My home insurance shot up when they found out we had a large (not massive) trampoline in the yard. We had to get rid of it and prove it to get the rate mostly back to normal.

Not sure if that proves anything but I assume there's some statistical basis for their rates?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:48 am
My sister got pretty injured on a trampoline

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 3:01 am
1 year old son broke his leg going down the slide on someones lap.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:52 am
My dh works in a doctor's office and he sees tons of trampoline injuries. He tries to keep my kids off all trampolines.

3 kids on my block have had broken bones from a neighbor's trampoline. The orthopedist told one of them that trampolines pay his salary.

And dd's friend needed surgery after breaking her ankle at a trampoline park.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 7:05 am
Those of you who would never let your kids on a trampoline because it's too dangerous...Do you let your kids go to jumping places like Skyzone, etc.? Camps always have trips there, schools use them as rewards...just curious.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:29 am
My neighbor banned her kids from trampolines after an injury, but has a bounce house that she uses constantly in her house?! She

watergirl

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:38 am
doodlesmom wrote:
I keep hearing that, but in real life I know 1 person with a badly dislocated elbow when someone fell on her on the trampoline. Otherwise I don’t know anyone personally.

In the meantime my kids and siblings had casts from ball playing, rollerblading, cozy coup fall, steps tripping, plain tripping, bikes etc…

And statistically I don’t think it’s the most dangerous either….

You want statistics, you need an authorized, peer reviewed and published study from a recognized medical base. A quick google showed this but it's from 2019.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31281041/

Here is a more recent study with numbers, from Hopkins. Note - the numbers it gives for sports is referring to organized activity, not backyard play. The backyard/neighborhood play activities, trampolines are more dangerous than all aside from bicycles, but it does not say much about the bicycle riding, so it's highly probable this high figure is including bike parts with tricks like flipping, wheelies, etc.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.or.....stics

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:39 am
In our family, the only 2 broken bones were:
2yo broke collar bone after jumping off the couch
I broke foot when tripping on toys on the floor

Go figure!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:19 am
watergirl wrote:
You want statistics, you need an authorized, peer reviewed and published study from a recognized medical base. A quick google showed this but it's from 2019.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31281041/

Here is a more recent study with numbers, from Hopkins. Note - the numbers it gives for sports is referring to organized activity, not backyard play. The backyard/neighborhood play activities, trampolines are more dangerous than all aside from bicycles, but it does not say much about the bicycle riding, so it's highly probable this high figure is including bike parts with tricks like flipping, wheelies, etc.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.or.....stics

I hate statistics. For example, take a look at that second link. It would seem that baseball is extremely dangerous! I mean, it's way more dangerous, than, say, ice hockey. (110,000 vs. 20,000). But when you take into account that baseball is a "national pastime" and hockey is much less commonly played than in countries like Canada than in the US...the numbers are meaningless.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 12:19 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Curious it didn’t have the mesh enclosure?

Yeah! She didn't fall down off the trampoline! She just fell down where she was standing, on the canvas of the trampoline, and that was enough to break her leg.

seeker

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:01 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
Yeah! She didn't fall down off the trampoline! She just fell down where she was standing, on the canvas of the trampoline, and that was enough to break her leg.

Yes, I've heard most trampoline injuries are body parts interacting wrongly with each other, not falling off the trampoline itself. Though the two kids I know (including one of mine - growth plate fracture) who had really bad breaks from trampolines I think both were from landing wrong coming off it.

jeg

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:24 pm
https://www.aaos.org/aaos-home.....fety/

https://publications.aap.org/p.....ected

American Academy of Pediatrics and American Academy of Orthopedic surgeons strongly discourage trampolines.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:28 pm
Basically all sports and most outdoor activities have injury risks. You could wrap your kids in bubble wrap, or you could let them grow up active, hoping for the best.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:28 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I was going to say this.

Non jews more likely to do summersaults and flips which could cause paralyzing injuries.

Just jumping up and down is pretty safe. At worst, a broken bone.

Huh? What makes non-Jews more likely to do that? Sounds like you don't know too many non-Jews. I'm a BT with many non-Jewish friend and *gasp* family. Maybe you didn't mean to be insulting but this is an unnecessary and hurtful stereotype.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:33 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I’m trying to gather some evidence.

Did your child ever need a cast from a trampoline?
What about a bike? Rollerblades? Ball? Playground equipment?

What injuries did cause the, to get a cast?

my daughter broke her leg from a trampoline. She broke her arm on the monkey bars but she was trying to a do a specific move that she probably shouldn't have been doing that made her fall.

she needed pt after breaking her leg but not after her arm. leg was definitely a bigger deal.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 3:35 pm
Several years with large trampoline, very active kids & bh no injuries. I warn my kids to jump upright only, they usually listen but not always. I also don't allow too many kids at a time.

I was very unsure about it before purchase but I believe the benefit to my kids definitely outweighed the risk.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 3:41 pm
Quote:
My home insurance shot up when they found out we had a large (not massive) trampoline in the yard. We had to get rid of it and prove it to get the rate mostly back to normal.

Not sure if that proves anything but I assume there's some statistical basis for their rates?

I was going to bring this up
When I lived in Texas my homeowners insurance did not charge any extra for having an inground swimming pool (they said that is a normal backyard feature) but they did charge significantly
more for a trampoline and needed to come do a special inspection of it

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 3:55 pm
A safer jumping alternative is the Jungle Jumparoo (there may be other similar ones too).
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics