Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you buy sold chametz?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

singleagain

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:40 am
someone wrote:
Yes, this is exactly what they do. There are also stories of companies that make stuff before pesach and label it "baked after pesach 5784 (or whatever the year is)"
That's why the only way to be actually makpid on this is to check production numbers and expiry dates and things

You know for a fact that companies are cheating like this? That they are outright lying? Why would you buy their products at all if you think that? Why would you trust them at all?

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:45 am
Comptroller wrote:
So, then, what good will it do?
Then it's just a fantasy...

Did you read the two previous posts where it was explained that people who are makpid about this check barcodes and expiry dates, to know when the item was produced?

someone

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:48 am
singleagain wrote:
You know for a fact that companies are cheating like this? That they are outright lying? Why would you buy their products at all if you think that? Why would you trust them at all?

Yes, I know it for a fact, I have personally encountered produce that was brought out after shavuot time when they thought everyone had forgotten about it. And I've heard people who work in kashrut talk about it as a problematic phenomenon that they are trying to combat. I actually saw a picture that someone posted on social media of a packet of cookies he saw in a store on motzei pesach this year with a sticker on that said baked after pesach 5784.
As Elfrida said, people who actually want to be makpid on this have to check barcodes and expiry dates, not rely on the stickers.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:07 am
(Flour that has not come into contact with water is not chometz. Many people who do not sell chometz gamur will sell closed bags of flour, barley...)

I very happily and proudly buy chometz from Jewish grocery stores who I know follow halacha and sell chometz. Even though I personally don't sell chometz, a business that sells chometz is following the chachamim and I am proud to support them.

I kind of view it the same way we sign a pruzbal, to encourage people to lend to fellow Jews even though it's nearing a shemittah year. It benefits Jewish society and allows me to give parnosa to a fellow Yid.

Edit: I typed this up when the thread was on the first page, had to leave, came back and submitted it. Glad to see someone else mentioned pruzbal first and explained it more eloquently.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:15 am
Well, next time you wonder why kosher stores, are more expensive, add this to the list of reasons.

Thanks for all the the answers, interesting.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:17 am
Just posting because for some reason OP's username is showing up on the home page

mfb

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:18 am
someone wrote:
Yes, I know it for a fact, I have personally encountered produce that was brought out after shavuot time when they thought everyone had forgotten about it. And I've heard people who work in kashrut talk about it as a problematic phenomenon that they are trying to combat. I actually saw a picture that someone posted on social media of a packet of cookies he saw in a store on motzei pesach this year with a sticker on that said baked after pesach 5784.
As Elfrida said, people who actually want to be makpid on this have to check barcodes and expiry dates, not rely on the stickers.

Are you sure it wasn’t baked fresh?

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:49 am
someone wrote:
Taking it out after shavuos because they think people aren’t checking anymore I’ve heard from a few people.

We do eat stuff that was sold but it’s kind of nasty to think that we are getting food that was manufactured months ago.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:51 am
mfb wrote:
Are you sure it wasn’t baked fresh?
The bakeries wouldn’t have time to make and package cookies plus transport them plus get them on the shelves all by motzai yom tov. They don’t start baking until yom tov ends.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:06 am
Jumping into to say the Star K releases a list of where to purchase chometz and when, after Pesach. Also, on Sunday I went to the store and there were several bags of heimishe pretzels with a sticker Baked after Pesach 2023. The exp dates were 2023 as well! I told management, and they immediately removed them from the shelf, checked and told me they had been sent that box of old pretzels from the company.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:08 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
Taking it out after shavuos because they think people aren’t checking anymore I’ve heard from a few people.

We do eat stuff that was sold but it’s kind of nasty to think that we are getting food that was manufactured months ago.

If you check dates then you'll never buy the old batches. I ALWAYS check dates because I'm a stickler for the freshest food possible. I'll compare a few dates on the packages to make sure I'm buying the freshest one. Nothing to do with sold over Pesach, we're okay with buying it.

(And yes, I did notice with one package of cookies that they were selling the old batch later in the summertime. But, this only happened once to me. And, as I said I literally check every single package I buy so I likely would have noticed it if it were more prevalent. So I don't think it's as common as people are making out. And for those who are makpid, I don't see it as a reason to stop doing it just because there maybe an odd occasion where a supplier is being deceitful.)

ChossidMom

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:12 am
amother OP wrote:
We run a chabad house in a remote location and sell kosher food. (groceries and ready made food) Recently a family got stuck here overnight so we sent them some food. Afterwards, they emailed us asking whose ownership the chametz was under, I told them we sold it to a non Jew.

We were both puzzled by this question, (to us it was like asking do we use kosher meat?) so we asked them why they asked this, they told us their Rav told them they had to ask this, furthermore, they usually don't buy chametz that was sold, but since they were stuck, they were allowed to in this case.

I just don't understand how any grocery or food business can manage without selling chametz over pesach. Losses would be huge.

Anyone in the food business who knows of kosher shops who do not sell chametz??? Anyone else follows this halachic ruling? How do you manage??

We do not eat chometz that was sold to a [gentile]. We only eat chometz from flour that was either ground after Pesach or dry flour that was never wet. This presents many challenges. We still haven't found pasta, oatmeal and alot of other things in the stores. Many people have this minhag today - chassidim and litvish (at least here in Israel).

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:15 am
amother Mauve wrote:
If you check dates then you'll never buy the old batches. I ALWAYS check dates because I'm a stickler for the freshest food possible. I'll compare a few dates on the packages to make sure I'm buying the freshest one. Nothing to do with sold over Pesach, we're okay with buying it.

(And yes, I did notice with one package of cookies that they were selling the old batch later in the summertime. But, this only happened once to me. And, as I said I literally check every single package I buy so I likely would have noticed it if it were more prevalent. So I don't think it's as common as people are making out. And for those who are makpid, I don't see it as a reason to stop doing it just because there maybe an odd occasion where a supplier is being deceitful.)
Thanks that’s good to hear.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:23 am
amother DarkRed wrote:

What's nasty about food that was manufactured months ago?
Pasta Barilla is AFAIK good for up to two years and so are many other dry items.
Yellow cheese has a shelf life of months.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:28 am
ChossidMom wrote:
We do not eat chometz that was sold to a [gentile]. We only eat chometz from flour that was either ground after Pesach or dry flour that was never wet. This presents many challenges. We still haven't found pasta, oatmeal and alot of other things in the stores. Many people have this minhag today - chassidim and litvish (at least here in Israel).

A friend of mine sells her chametz to her non-jewish cleaning lady, she sells it with a written contract, price etc and cleaning lady takes it to her own home. After Pesach my friend asks her if she may buy items from CL.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 1:34 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
A friend of mine sells her chametz to her non-jewish cleaning lady, she sells it with a written contract, price etc and cleaning lady takes it to her own home. After Pesach my friend asks her if she may buy items from CL.

At that point she's better off doing it through a Rav who knows the best Halachic wording for selling it etc

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 1:42 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
At that point she's better off doing it through a Rav who knows the best Halachic wording for selling it etc

Don't worry, she us the kind who triple checks *everything* competent Rabbanim.
She sells it physically and CL pays her in cash and removes it from her house.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 1:45 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Don't worry, she us the kind who triple checks *everything* competent Rabbanim.
She sells it physically and CL pays her in cash and removes it from her house.

Why does it have to be removed from her house?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 5:19 pm
ChossidMom wrote:

I am not going to complain about all the vegetables we peel on pesach anymore.

This sounds really stressful. Especially in Israel.

I have not heard of Chabad people being strict on this.

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 5:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am not going to complain about all the vegetables we peel on pesach anymore.

This sounds really stressful. Especially in Israel.

I have not heard of Chabad people being strict on this.

In Israel its the least stressful!
I went to Osher Ad on Isru chag at 4pm, they already had so many things baked after pesach some the flour aswell.
In no other country can you find less than 24 hrs after Pesach biscuits, wafers, Crackers croutons, fresh grounded flour and other items - im not makpid so didnt do a deep dive all baked and grounded after pesach.
On Motzei Pesach I did an order through Mishnat Yosef which gave me a limited option to order for pick up on my street a variety of items all items that they had arranged for a nonjew to order before pesach and they bought it off them after pesach.

last year when I went to my makolet not in city center a day or 2 after Pesach there were 2 shelves of Pasta, one sold and one after Pesach.

The only difference is that we dont have non jewish stores to buy cereals and other items straight after Pesach.

Growing up in the UK I had a friend who for weeks after pesach couldnt buy pasta, pretzels, crackers and the like until fresh stock came in as they dont eat them without a hechsher so dont buy in non-jewish shops unless there is a kosher section which in some areas are very limited.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics