Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
When the boys come home
Previous  1  2  3

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 4:53 pm
PKL, you rock!! Applause

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 5:05 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
Sure hope this isn't your DS's story (which isn't funny):

https://www.dansdeals.com/more.....nger/

No, this story is not funny, and very scary. We are living in crazy times.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 5:45 pm
I hope someone will start a spin off on that story. It’s quite disturbing

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 1:40 am
Op, thanks for this!!
When you post the newest story, can you please link it here? I don’t want to miss it! I’m following this thread and don’t know if I’ll be online when you post the next one.

Tia!

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 4:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
I use regular Idaho/Russet potatoes. (Some people like Yukon gold or white potatoes, but I find Idaho to have a better consistency. )

I almost always add the seltzer. I make sure to have a fresh bottle or two (depending how many kugels I'm making).The seltzer makes it fluffy.

My kugel doesn't have water, but it is a liquidy texture, between the eggs, oil and grated potatoes. This makes a pretty soft, mushy kugel, similar to a hand-grated kugel. If you like a stringy texture, you can try using a different blade.

I do not cover it when I bake it. I don't think kugeks should ever be covered when baking. But if you want to overnight it, add some water after it's done baking and cover tightly. Then put in the warmer or low temperature oven for a few hours or overnight.

I don't know the answer to your last question. I think it forms a nicer crust if you start off higher. But in the past, I have done it on 350 only, and it has been fine. Even so, I don't think it takes 4 hours. More like 2 hours.

These days, I make many kugels every Friday, so I'm happy to have a way to speed things up. You can try it both ways and see if it makes a difference.
Hatzlacha!

I dont like stringy texture and my kugel comes out soft and mushy but im afraid that if I add a cup seltzer (my kugel only has water from the potatoes-no added) thaen how will it slice?#
will it be mushy hep on the plate?

will it not be too mushy?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 4:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
I use regular Idaho/Russet potatoes. (Some people like Yukon gold or white potatoes, but I find Idaho to have a better consistency. )

I almost always add the seltzer. I make sure to have a fresh bottle or two (depending how many kugels I'm making).The seltzer makes it fluffy.

My kugel doesn't have water, but it is a liquidy texture, between the eggs, oil and grated potatoes. This makes a pretty soft, mushy kugel, similar to a hand-grated kugel. If you like a stringy texture, you can try using a different blade.

I do not cover it when I bake it. I don't think kugeks should ever be covered when baking. But if you want to overnight it, add some water after it's done baking and cover tightly. Then put in the warmer or low temperature oven for a few hours or overnight.

I don't know the answer to your last question. I think it forms a nicer crust if you start off higher. But in the past, I have done it on 350 only, and it has been fine. Even so, I don't think it takes 4 hours. More like 2 hours.

These days, I make many kugels every Friday, so I'm happy to have a way to speed things up. You can try it both ways and see if it makes a difference.
Hatzlacha!

maybe yours has less water to begin off with because you use a starchy russet/idaho potato whereas I use more a semi waxy

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 5:00 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
maybe yours has less water to begin off with because you use a starchy russet/idaho potato whereas I use more a semi waxy

I'm not sure what you mean by a more semi waxy potato. What type of potatoes do you use?
In any case, why don't you just try it once? What's the worst that could happen? If you don't like it, you won't put in the seltzer next time.
The seltzer is not imperative. It's just how I make it. Many people put in water or no liquid at all.

And no, it doesn't come out as a mush on the plate. It cuts nicely enough.
The longer you bake it, the firmer it gets. On Friday night, it's always more firm than on Friday afternoon.
And Sunday, when I reheat any leftover kugel, it's even more firm.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by a more semi waxy potato. What type of potatoes do you use?
In any case, why don't you just try it once? What's the worst that could happen? If you don't like it, you won't put in the seltzer next time.
The seltzer is not imperative. It's just how I make it. Many people put in water or no liquid at all.

And no, it doesn't come out as a mush on the plate. It cuts nicely enough.
The longer you bake it, the firmer it gets. On Friday night, it's always more firm than on Friday afternoon.
And Sunday, when I reheat any leftover kugel, it's even more firm.

waxy potatoes have more water.

maybe I will strain some off and add seltzer. I like the idea making it more fluffy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:29 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
waxy potatoes have more water.

maybe I will strain some off and add seltzer. I like the idea making it more fluffy.

Why don't you try using Idaho Potatoes?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 9:41 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
Op, thanks for this!!
When you post the newest story, can you please link it here? I don’t want to miss it! I’m following this thread and don’t know if I’ll be online when you post the next one.

Tia!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....59743

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:40 am
amother OP wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559743

Love it!
Thanks for posting the link- I totally would’ve missed it otherwise.
(Though I’m sorry for all the hold music you had to listen to… though I don’t think it’s a sefirah problem- it’s far from bringing us pleasure lol and at least your kitchen got clean Tongue Out

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 3:57 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
Love it!
Thanks for posting the link- I totally would’ve missed it otherwise.
(Though I’m sorry for all the hold music you had to listen to… though I don’t think it’s a sefirah problem- it’s far from bringing us pleasure lol and at least your kitchen got clean Tongue Out

I didn’t think it was a real problem for sefira, but it still bothers me a bit.
It's interesting, but if you call a frum company these days, the hold music will usually be accappela.
And yes, there may be unexpected benefits to being put on hold, such as a clean kitchen. What a great outlook!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics