Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you buy sold chametz?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:42 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Don't worry, she us the kind who triple checks *everything* competent Rabbanim.
She sells it physically and CL pays her in cash and removes it from her house.

I'm not saying she's doing it wrong, but there's literally no point

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 4:29 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
We stock up on heimish products from the local ShopRite right after Pesach (it is owned by a non-Jew) and buy other things from stores that are owned by non-Jews and use non-Jewish distributors (right now mostly Walmart, but also a few others).

Shop rite might be owned by a non Jew. Some stores are some stores aren’t but their distributor is questionable. I’m surprised ppl are mentioning it as being better than buying from frum stores. Where I live it’s considered bedieved unless you buy from a specific list of items our local store stockpiles before Yontif so you know they owned it over Pesach.
Walmart would be a good option for people who want non Jewish owned with non Jewish distributors.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 4:38 pm
someone wrote:
Yes, this is exactly what they do. There are also stories of companies that make stuff before pesach and label it "baked after pesach 5784 (or whatever the year is)"

When we lived in EY a rov said that's how all those pretzels etc "ne'efu heachar pesach" appear in stores so quickly after YT

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 5:31 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Shop rite might be owned by a non Jew. Some stores are some stores aren’t but their distributor is questionable. I’m surprised ppl are mentioning it as being better than buying from frum stores. Where I live it’s considered bedieved unless you buy from a specific list of items our local store stockpiles before Yontif so you know they owned it over Pesach.
Walmart would be a good option for people who want non Jewish owned with non Jewish distributors.

In Lakewood it was determined that ShopRite is owned but a non Jew and is on the list as an approved place to buy chometz.
She said she’s from Lakewood.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:35 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:

The local ShopRite (Howell, formerly Lakewood) is owned by a non-Jew. While some people buy many things there after Pesach, we only buy the heimishe products & only right after Yom Tov. The heimishe companies are not delivering chametz on Pesach and they deliver directly to the store (not the shared warehouse).

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:56 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
I'm not saying she's doing it wrong, but there's literally no point

Apparently there is a point. She is selling off the items and pays cash and removes the chametz from her home.
After Pesach she asks CL to buy back and pays her cash.
Why do you think it's pointless?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 12:03 am
amother Geranium wrote:
Why does it have to be removed from her house?

So it won't be in her possession during Pesach.
בל יראה או בל ימצא

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 5:03 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
So it won't be in her possession during Pesach.
בל יראה או בל ימצא

But if it’s sold it’s not her possession anymore. You either sell real chometz or you don’t.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 5:08 am
amother Geranium wrote:
But if it’s sold it’s not her possession anymore. You either sell real chometz or you don’t.

It has been *removed* from her house too. And yes, apparently this makes a difference.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 6:58 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Apparently there is a point. She is selling off the items and pays cash and removes the chametz from her home.
After Pesach she asks CL to buy back and pays her cash.
Why do you think it's pointless?

Because she can sell it through a Rav in the best way, there's no need for this at all

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 6:59 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
It has been *removed* from her house too. And yes, apparently this makes a difference.

That's a subjective feeling, not a Halachic ruling

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:03 am
amother Geranium wrote:
In Lakewood it was determined that ShopRite is owned but a non Jew and is on the list as an approved place to buy chometz.
She said she’s from Lakewood.

The store is owned by a non Jew, the distributor is partially Jewish owned. That’s not specific to the Lakewood store it’s everywhere in the NY/NJ area including Lakewood. It’s an approved place to buy because the distributor officially sells their chometz but if your goal is to avoid chometz that was sold over Pesach you are not accomplishing that by shopping regular stock in shop rite.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 10:15 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

I never heard of any rav suggesting this.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 9:08 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
I never heard of any rav suggesting this.

Because it isn't Halacha

Comptroller

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:28 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
That's a subjective feeling, not a Halachic ruling

I don't think it is a subjective feeling. I think it has a solid basis in halacha.

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 5:23 am
Comptroller wrote:
I don't think it is a subjective feeling. I think it has a solid basis in halacha.

I highly doubt that. Happy to change my opinion though if you provide a source

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 5:40 pm
Bumping for my curiosity

zaq

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 7:08 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What's nasty about food that was manufactured months ago?
Pasta Barilla is AFAIK good for up to two years and so are many other dry items.
Yellow cheese has a shelf life of months.

Not to mention that the matzah you buy before Pesach--yes, even the hand made shmurah--may have been baked around Chanuka time. That's when they start baking hand shmurah--Chanuka time.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics