Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Saving PTO and using it at end of the year

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 8:20 am
I'm a morah who was very careful with not using up my PTO(hoping to use it on family simchas, but the relatives didn't get engaged).
I now have few days left.

I'm going to be using them.

I just sent an email to the principal telling her a day I will be taking off and I felt so weird not writing a reason.
Usually it's "because of an appointment/family simcha/visiting family..."
No one asks the single girls where they're going because its either shidduchim or friend's wedding...
But somehow I feel they expect more of married staff.

I guess I'm feeling guilty and shame.
I wish I didn't feel guilty.

For all the morah bashers who are angry that I'm going to desert their poor daughters, please realize that I was rarely absent throughout the year!!!!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 8:22 am
When I was single I felt the opposite— that I needed to justify taking off or like I was only “allowed” to take off for a date out of town. I feel like for any married teacher people might assume that she is expecting or has a medical issue or something going on with an elderly parent, etc.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 8:25 am
You are totally within your rights! You don't owe anyone an explenation. Go for it! Enjoy your PTO. It's yours to use. Shed the guilt.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 8:25 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
When I was single I felt the opposite— that I needed to justify taking off or like I was only “allowed” to take off for a date out of town. I feel like for any married teacher people might assume that she is expecting or has a medical issue or something going on with an elderly parent, etc.

Really?
Because there are single teachers who took off for two week trip to Israel... Constant friend weddings...
Maybe they grilled them because it's all the time. I don't know.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 8:26 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
You are totally within your rights! You don't owe anyone an explenation. Go for it! Enjoy your PTO. It's yours to use. Shed the guilt.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 8:57 am
Please! Take ur PTO!

Everyone deserves to take their PTO. Even and especially morahs. Hope you enjoy!

zaq

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 9:01 am
The essence of PTO, at least at my workplace, is that you are not required to give a reason and your supervisor is not allowed to ask. Hence PERSONAL time off. Your supervisor is allowed to deny PTO requests if they will adversely affect the services provided, e.g. if too many other people are already taking off and the department would be left with insufficient coverage, but they aren't allowed to ask you why you want the time off.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 9:35 pm
If you're in a school setting and have a substitute teacher, totally go take a few 'me' days. If u would run a playgroup and not provide a sub for those days, as a working mom, I would find it hard but still within your rights, being that an 'emergency' off day is expected now and then
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics