Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Your easiest Shabbos prep tips!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 9:27 pm
I’m just so tired and burnt out and do not have any interest in staying up and cooking!!! Anyone have suggestions for making this weekly prep easier?
Family with a couple kids and having guests as well…

naomi2

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 9:39 pm
Baby potato with garlic- no peeling
Rice in the oven
Cabbage salad
Lettuce salad with bought dressing
Frozen cauliflower roasted with turmeric
Duck sauce chicken
Gefilte fish
Buy dips
Skip soup
Buy dessert cake and chocolate nuts

up high

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 10:31 pm
Cooking in advance for several weeks.

Challas I bake double recipe. Freeze. Warm it on 350° for 10-15 minutes. Itll be crispy outside and soft inside.
I cook big pots of soup and seperate it into medium size pans, according to family needs. Could be deep oblong challah pans or wider, (preferebly with a cover, or cover with foil).
Stock it in freezer one on top of the other, erev shabbos, just place into stove and rewarm, or just place it in the morning on the blech. By shabbos it'll be delicious hot n tasty.

Cook noodles in advance, place in containers or pans. Rewarm by adding water and microwave 2 minutes, or place it into the soup pan to rewarm.
Compote can be cooked and frozen in advance.

I sometimes cook fish and chulent for 2 weeks. Just freeze it, (fish: just add water, cook it up 10 minutes, chulent, add spices and place onto crock pot.)
Potatoe kugel can be baked in advance for several weeks. Either bake halfways and finish baking it erev shabbos, or rewarm it by adding some water to the pan.

As long as you dont tell "them" that it aint done fresh, they wont see or realize the difference. If you warm it the right way, It tastes like fresh!

up high

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 10:39 pm
I start coiking early. (It will be just as good and tasty even when its cooked/baked on Wednesday!

On shabbos, prepare the food for the meal in advance (besides for hot food), buffet style, in big container/plate/bowl, in the center of the table so that everyone serves themselves, just hand out plates or pass it around.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 12:20 am
Challah- either buy or bake every few weeks and freeze (for my family its abt every three weeks)

Dips- Buy

Gefilte fish put in a small pan filled 1/3-1/2 way with water. Cover in foil. Bake 2 hours. Serve with store bought Chrein

If having guests, make an easy salad - lettuce,. Cherry tomatoes, and red onion, and store bought caeser dressing.
Or any other salad you like.

Chicken soup I make a large pot and portion into quart size containers. We use abt 1.5 quarts per week. Freeze the rest and lasts several weeks.

Kneidlach- I make a triple batch with 3 c matzo meal. After they cool, I portion them into zip lock bags according to average amount eaten per week (in my family, that's6). Freeze the rest and lasts several weeks.

Can serve store bought soup nuts.

Chicken

Potato kugel. (A simple week when youre not up toi making, make rice if you're ok without kugel.)

String beans or broccoli as a veg. Side.

A sweet side dish like sweet potato/apple/ whatever kugel type thing.

Ice cream for dessert.

This shabbos iyh our family (no guests) will have
Challah
Gefilte fish and chrein
Soup and kneidlach and soup nuts
Chicken
Potato kugel
Cranberry-apple Kugel
Yams baked
String beans
No dessert
Of which the only food I'm actually making tomorrow are gefilte fish,
Potato kugel, yam, string beans

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 12:46 am
amother Tan wrote:
Challah- either buy or bake every few weeks and freeze (for my family its abt every three weeks)

Dips- Buy

Gefilte fish put in a small pan filled 1/3-1/2 way with water. Cover in foil. Bake 2 hours. Serve with store bought Chrein

If having guests, make an easy salad - lettuce,. Cherry tomatoes, and red onion, and store bought caeser dressing.
Or any other salad you like.

Chicken soup I make a large pot and portion into quart size containers. We use abt 1.5 quarts per week. Freeze the rest and lasts several weeks.

Kneidlach- I make a triple batch with 3 c matzo meal. After they cool, I portion them into zip lock bags according to average amount eaten per week (in my family, that's6). Freeze the rest and lasts several weeks.

Can serve store bought soup nuts.

Chicken

Potato kugel. (A simple week when youre not up toi making, make rice if you're ok without kugel.)

String beans or broccoli as a veg. Side.

A sweet side dish like sweet potato/apple/ whatever kugel type thing.

Ice cream for dessert.

This shabbos iyh our family (no guests) will have
Challah
Gefilte fish and chrein
Soup and kneidlach and soup nuts
Chicken
Potato kugel
Cranberry-apple Kugel
Yams baked
String beans
No dessert
Of which the only food I'm actually making tomorrow are gefilte fish,
Potato kugel, yam, string beans

Never knew any other family calls croutons soup nuts besides for mine! Lol

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 12:47 am
Freezer freezer freezer

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 1:28 am
amother Ballota wrote:
Never knew any other family calls croutons soup nuts besides for mine! Lol

Of course!!! croutons are for salad. The yellow "mandlin" are soup nuts
U from Boro Park?

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 1:29 am
amother Crocus wrote:
[/b]
Of course!!! croutons are for salad. The yellow "mandlin" are soup nuts
U from Boro Park?

What does boro Park have to do with it? LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note