Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Getting a non-ASD child an ASD diagnosis to qualify for ABA
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Success10

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 11:52 am
From your OP, your son sounds normal, just he's a handful.

I'm the last one to advise anything natural, but I would try a week or two of no sugar and food coloring and see if there is improvement. Just from experience, it's worth a try. If it helps, it's easier than moving to a different city.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 12:39 pm
Success10 wrote:
From your OP, your son sounds normal, just he's a handful.

I'm the last one to advise anything natural, but I would try a week or two of no sugar and food coloring and see if there is improvement. Just from experience, it's worth a try. If it helps, it's easier than moving to a different city.

I’m actually considering this. He loves sugar. He wakes up and goes to sleep asking for treats. He does eat his meals well, but is stubborn and incessant about cookies and candies. Not sure I’ll have the commitment for two weeks (shabbos party?!!) but I’m curious enough to try.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 12:46 pm
It’s genevat daat and giving an eyin hara
I would not do it.

Also bear in mind, in 10 years from know, even though it is HIPPA protected, it might come out in applying for HS, Sem, or shudduchim.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 12:47 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
ASD diagnosis isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Besides for aba my kids qualified for ot, pt, speech. None of which helped and most of which he didn’t get anyway because there were no available providers.

Op there are other things you can do first such as taking him off food coloring, msg and gluten.

A child with an ASD diagnosis can qualify for things that children with other diagnoses can’t- ABA, OPWDD, medicaid….and don’t forget about the local organizations that have programs for kids with ASD diagnoses, but not other diagnoses….
Not weighing in on whether or not one should get a false diagnosis.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 1:21 pm
It's hard to say it's a false diagnosis when the definition is very broad and vague.

chocpretzel

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 1:50 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
It's hard to say it's a false diagnosis when the definition is very broad and vague.

It’s a false diagnosis if the one providing the diagnosis is being bribed or informed the child needs this diagnosis to qualify for services regardless of their actual neurotype. I am not suggesting that her child is or is not autistic but that would have to be determined by a professional evaluation using diagnostic criteria. The spectrum is a broad spectrum but there are clear diagnostic tools.

As a side note, as someone mentioned here previously, I find it fascinating that you are so sure that vaccines cause autism and at the same time you say that autism is broad and vague Confused

ETA OP you can still qualify for a shadow without an ASD diagnosis depending on where you live and if your child qualifies for any other diagnosis.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:21 pm
chocpretzel wrote:
It’s a false diagnosis if the one providing the diagnosis is being bribed or informed the child needs this diagnosis to qualify for services regardless of their actual neurotype. I am not suggesting that her child is or is not autistic but that would have to be determined by a professional evaluation using diagnostic criteria. The spectrum is a broad spectrum but there are clear diagnostic tools.

As a side note, as someone mentioned here previously, I find it fascinating that you are so sure that vaccines cause autism and at the same time you say that autism is broad and vague Confused

ETA OP you can still qualify for a shadow without an ASD diagnosis depending on where you live and if your child qualifies for any other diagnosis.

I live in NJ. Can you elaborate on that last point?

chocpretzel

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I live in NJ. Can you elaborate on that last point?

Probably won’t work for you then. NJ is notorious for only providing services to children with an ASD diagnosis.

Realstuff

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 5:13 pm
This sounds like my son exactly.hes brilliant…I was advised to get him a diagnosis for the ABA services…got him the diagnosis and found this very beneficial for my son ….also in NY all diagnosis in this area go away at 5yrs and everything is retested.so I went based off that.bechasdei hashem I also was able to put him in the non mainstream preschool but one with aba trained paras teachers etc.ot rooms etc. I’m very grateful we have the opportunity and I get asked all the time how I pulled it off,no one really knows he has a diagnosis

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone gotten an ASD diagnosis for a child who clearly does not have ASD just to get ABA benefits from insurance? I know there are honesty concerns here, but aside from that, Has there been any consequences later on? Is it possible to remove from their record? I worry more for my son to find out about it when he’s older and start questioning if something’s wrong with him, when it’s really just an incapable and unwilling preschool.

For more info, read below.

I live in a relatively small Jewish community where we have just two frum preschools (in-Home morahs are not a thing). My 4 yr old son is and always has been an active, mischievous boy. He gets a thrill out of getting a reaction out of people (think instigating, not shy in front of adults, silly) and always gets the attention. He loves to test his limits and has a very good sense of when and with whom he can. He is not delayed in any way (says everything, riding two wheeler bike at 3, etc) and even seems a bit advanced (playing with kids a few years older etc).

The preschool has been fed up with him since day one, saying that since he’s a leader, the kids follow him and make trouble too, and that no teacher or assistant can manage him, and he needs a shadow in order to return the following year. They’ve suspended him multiple times (he pulled down his pants at 3, left the classroom without permission) The only other preschool in town is full.
(They actually had us get a shadow when he was 2 for throwing a chair but the shadow said there was nothing for her to do, and that other kids need it more than him.)
She had me try physiotherapy which did nothing for him (he has a strong core naturally) and I had to hire therapists, get in home crisis intervention therapy… when he’s really just a lively happy kid who needs strong boundaries and stimulation.
I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to cripple him for life with such a diagnosis but I need him to get through the next year before he can graduate preschool.

Don’t do it for someone else. You’ll be resentful for the rest of his life if he ever encounters anything that this label excludes him from. If you want the services to help him than yes, otherwise no

penguin

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:52 pm
In addition to limiting sugar etc, try an Omega 3 supplement! Calms the brain!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 9:46 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
The original autism was non verbal or very minimal language.

In 1975, non verbal autism rate was 1 in 5,000. (Psychology Today).

Today the non verbal autism rate is around
1 in 500!

that is 10x increase in non verbal autism!

Many doctors and PhDs Scientists say vaccines are main cause for this 10 fold increase in non verbal autism.

Autism is listed on vaccine inserts.
Vaccine Court awarded damages for autism caused by vaccines.

This is irritating. Stop victim blaming.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 10:23 pm
Change him to a new school and see how he does there.
I wouldn’t listen to this school.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 10:28 pm
With that being said, it’s easy to get a legitimate diagnosis if he has anything that might resemble ASD symptoms. Some psychiatrists don’t do a full work up. They’ll meet with you and your son for a few minutes and ask a few questions. That’s the extent of it. It was shocking to me how easy it was to get a diagnosis.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 10:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m genuinely confused by this thread. I’m still not sure what to do, but I do have a lot more information.
A few points:
he won’t go back to this school for elementary (it’s a girls school with a preschool).
I apologize to parents I may have slighted by this question. I do have a genuinely challenging child, this one is just not it.
That segues to my next point of being in denial. Because I have such a hair pulling, tear inducing child, I have what to compare to. I don’t think I am in denial about what may be wrong with him. He’s had no shortage of therapies- the latest of which is pointing to possible trauma from one of the instances when he was suspended and the way in which it was done, teaching him that adults are not secure, capable, etc, and that he is too much for them, which can be terrifying for a child.
I do believe that a school can label a child where they grow into that role and that it’s not denial by the parent.
He’s also received and OT and speech evaluation by the schools therapists and did not meet any of the criteria.
Additionally, the therapist we’re currently working with says ABA may be counterproductive with him- he will get a thrill out of testing the boundaries on every new skill.
And lastly, perhaps some people on this thread can elaborate on the various kinds of doctors and tests that may be done for someone who may have an alternative diagnosis- adhd, add, odd, etc.
I am by nature a very honest person and can’t see myself wrangling such a diagnosis - and besides, I truly believe that nothing good comes from lying

Do you have a 2e child though? Because they are very different and often don't qualify for a diagnosis until they're older.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 10:57 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Do you have a 2e child though? Because they are very different and often don't qualify for a diagnosis until they're older.

What is a 2e child?

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 11:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is a 2e child?
Gifted & another diagnosis besides. A lot of those kids can compensate when they're little and seem like they're doing ok, even doing better than the kids around them because they're so much smarter. Then when they get older being smarter isn't enough & they need a diagnosis & extra help.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 11:06 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Gifted & another diagnosis besides. A lot of those kids can compensate when they're little and seem like they're doing ok, even doing better than the kids around them because they're so much smarter. Then when they get older being smarter isn't enough & they need a diagnosis & extra help.

He hasn’t gotten an official diagnosis, but the therapists that have seen him often say that they believe he is letting out what his older brother (5) does to him in school settings. (Since he has no younger siblings).
My 5 yr old is an extremely sensitive, deeply feeling child who can’t handle his emotions and is very reactive and explosive and sad and angry. He has language processing issues and thinks everyone is laughing at him, doesn’t get jokes, etc. He takes a lot of it out on this 4 yr old.

miami85

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 10:56 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
Doesn't this explain, though, why ASD diagnoses have skyrocketed in recent years?
And that it is not because of vaxxines, but because of how inherently wrong insurance and other policies are?

OP isn't alone, there are lots of parents paying for fake ASD diagnoses because that's the only way their children will get help, or because the schools pressured them into it.

Nothing to do with vaxxines or anything else.

In my mind ABSOLUTELY. Every kid in my school that has any kind of extreme behavior pattern comes back to us with an ASD diagnosis and it drives me crazy. I've tried explaining to parents that it is a behavioral diagnosis so they can go get behavioral health services, but if they press me on it then I have to evaluate for it, and for many kids with severe ADHD (aka Ring of Fire) there is very little that can tease out the two. In one year I think I had 4-5 cases (3 in one week) where it was literally a "red herring" evaluation that involves a lot of people and a lot of pieces to compile all because a doctor said "autism" and the kid was MAYBE ADHD, maybe an OCD, maybe some other neurotic condition based on family history (drug abuse, bi-polar, anxiety etc.) but having worked with real autism and seeing how they need the conditioning and reinforcement, calling all these cases "level 1 autism"--who does it help? The whole point of "level 1" is that it is "mild" and does not necessarily need interventions. But when I see kids misplaced in special education and not getting the right services just because they got an "ASD" diagnosis, it drives me crazy. I had a student who I am 99% sure was really a case of "non-verbal apraxia" but placed in a TEACCH classroom and she would act out every time she was "forced" to follow her visual schedule because she could not verbally communicate that she wanted to do something else. She would look us in the eye as she would run to turn off the lights of the classroom--because she could not talk. TEACCH and ABA are not the right curricula for kids with Apraxia because they cannot always perform skills on command and therefore get frustrated when they don't make progress in their programs.

This year I had a student where the outside agency literally wrote "ICD 84.0 (autism) student displays symptoms of ADHD."--it's like is this a mistake? Or are you in the clinical opinion (which has not been a firm conclusion in the research) that ADHD is on the Autistic Spectrum? Meanwhile we did a full ASD evaluation, the kid has clear signs of ADHD, and we made her eligible as such.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:18 am
Can anyone help me I Live in BROOKLYN
Who can I go to to get NEUROPYCH done
Can anyone explain the process
Does it cost $ ?
I dont know anything
What is done at the eval
How long is it
Im Not just looking for a diagnosis Im looking of someone who will actuslly pin point the exact problem and direct me how to help my child
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)