Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
I didn’t mean to! (Sleeping in swing)

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 8:59 am
I was so exhausted yesterday, I was up since 3:30 am the night before, finally at 12:45 I was about to lose it, I had been trying to put my 2 month old to sleep for 3 hours. I decided to put him in the swing and I’ll transfer him when he falls asleep. I usually never do that. But I went to my bed and immediately fell asleep! Still in my clothes…I woke up at 6:30 and transferred him but I feel so bad he was in there for so long! I really didn’t mean to! I didn’t mean to fall asleep

Sebastian

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 9:02 am
lol its fine a well rested mommy is more important

ShishKabob

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 9:19 am
I'm trying to figure out what the crime is exactly.
I'm assuming baby was strapped and safe.
Do it again if you need to. It's not an every night thing, but if it provides you with a good nights sleep then go right ahead.
A mother needs her sleep very very importantly more than the cons of a baby sleeping in a swing.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 9:50 am
I don't see the issue with baby sleeping in the swing once in a while. It's not the end of the world & definitely not something to beat yourself up over! He did sleep from quite afew hours, that's very good.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 9:53 am
If he really likes a swing they have cribs that rock, pricey but people swear by them.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 10:05 am
No worries. My dd had a terrible case of reflux as a baby. She would shriek the second you tried to lay her on her back. She only tolerated the baby swing. I asked her doctor and he said as long as I give her loads of tummy time, she can sleep in the swing every night. Until she started sitting up, she slept almost nightly in her swing. We gave her 1-2 hours during the day on her back and every waking second was spent doing tummy time

amother
Wallflower

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 10:19 am
Don’t be hard on yourself, you’re just doing what you both need for survival at this point.

As far as I understand, the concern with a non flat laying surface is that it can compromise the airway, like a squashed straw chv’ if the head drops towards the chin. This is why we are cautioned against it, but I think most of us have inadvertently gone against guidelines sometimes. You’re all good😉

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:02 am
amother Wallflower wrote:
Don’t be hard on yourself, you’re just doing what you both need for survival at this point.

As far as I understand, the concern with a non flat laying surface is that it can compromise the airway, like a squashed straw chv’ if the head drops towards the chin. This is why we are cautioned against it, but I think most of us have inadvertently gone against guidelines sometimes. You’re all good😉

yes I agree with this. There are risks, so I wouldn't say to do it again if no one is awake to keep an eye on baby but you made a mistake, we all do. Don't worry about it

Tzutzie

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:08 am
My baby swing was very flat. No risk of head falling forward. It actually didnt come so flat. Dh adjusted it to be like this. My baby slept in it multiple times.
I know there are some baby rockers/swings that are even flatter than the one we had.
Make sure baby is laying back enough and get some well deserved and needed rest yourself!

miami85

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:09 am
I have a child that slept in the swing for the first 4 months of his life. That was the only way to get a consistent number of hours in a row. He's no worse for wear now at almost 12 years old, he's my athlete and very smart. Babies are not straws--I've seen my own babies sleep and breathe slumped over under careful watch, and in my understanding positional asphyxia would only be relevant in cases of preemies or babies with other kind of developmental/cardiac issues. Sleeping flat on the back is one way to reduce most cases of SIDS but it still does happen unfortunately and I don't think anyone or any position is to blame.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:18 am
Your not bad Im terrible
My baby slept in the doona for 3 months Hiding

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:24 am
There a baby in my gan that STILL at 2 years old, sleeps in a stroller at home. Until he outgrew the swing/bouncer, he slept there at Gan. If you tried to put him to sleep in a bed, he would just shriek. There was no chance that sleep would happen if we tried to put him in a bed or crib. He was better off getting the sleep he desperately needed for his brain and body to grow properly, than for us to push him to be in a bed where he was desperately uncomfortable!
Of course, make sure baby is as flat as possible to reduce the risk of airway obstruction. And if baby tolerates sleeping in a crib on their back, that’s optimal. But a rested mommy and baby comes first.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 2:42 pm
Thanks, all. You made me feel better. The mom guilt is real!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 4:52 pm
I shoved dc in there until he barely barely fit. he was a fussy baby and slept in there a lot. he's in his thrties now and fine.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:17 pm
My oldest only slept 30% of the time in a swing from 3 weeks to 6 months. It was the only way I could get her to sleep sometimes. Stroller didn't work. She would fall sleep in a carrier. Barely slept in a bassinet. She never liked the crib. I often transfered her from the carrier once she was deeply sleeping.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics