Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Venice, Rome or Barcelona

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 7:18 pm
Has anyone been to any of the places listed above?
Planning a getaway with my husband in a couple of weeks. Have been told the beach isn't appropriate whatsoever during the day, so only at night. Was wondering what the kosher (high standard, so mehadrin meaty or otherwise milky) options are like in terms of restaurants or take-out. And what there is to do generally.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 7:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone been to any of the places listed above?
Planning a getaway with my husband in a couple of weeks. Have been told the beach isn't appropriate whatsoever during the day, so only at night. Was wondering what the kosher (high standard, so mehadrin meaty or otherwise milky) options are like in terms of restaurants or take-out. And what there is to do generally.

I've been to all 3 and enjoyed Rome the most.
All the restaurants in Rome were the same hechsher, I just ate milky (yotvata is highly recommended). Barcelona just had 1 meaty Chabad. Venice meaty and pizza shop is Chabad.

Rome has lots of history, I took a 3 hour Segway tour that was very enjoyable, a separate tour of the colloseum and think it was palatine hill where arch of Titus is (we had a boring tour guide) and the Jewish quarter and shul, which was exquisite, a must see. I'd have loved to do a cooking.class but it was very pricey.

I found venice to be very smelly but it was pretty. I enjoyed waking around seeing the glasswork in the shop windows. We also took a tour of the islands of murano and burano which was very nice. Did a tour of the Jewish quarter and shuls as well.

Barcelona had a beautiful park full of artwork by gaudi, it was well worth the visit. Went in the winter but the weather was great and went to the beach. Did the magic fountain one night, a tour of the Jewish quarter as well but there wasn't much to see as there hasn't really been a Jewish presence since the expulsion. Took a Segway tour. I had a very pleasant time there.

Of all three places I'd revisit Rome, the others were nice when I went.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 7:52 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
I've been to all 3 and enjoyed Rome the most.
All the restaurants in Rome were the same hechsher, I just ate milky (yotvata is highly recommended). Barcelona just had 1 meaty Chabad. Venice meaty and pizza shop is Chabad.

Rome has lots of history, I took a 3 hour Segway tour that was very enjoyable, a separate tour of the colloseum and think it was palatine hill where arch of Titus is (we had a boring tour guide) and the Jewish quarter and shul, which was exquisite, a must see. I'd have loved to do a cooking.class but it was very pricey.

I found venice to be very smelly but it was pretty. I enjoyed waking around seeing the glasswork in the shop windows. We also took a tour of the islands of murano and burano which was very nice. Did a tour of the Jewish quarter and shuls as well.

Barcelona had a beautiful park full of artwork by gaudi, it was well worth the visit. Went in the winter but the weather was great and went to the beach. Did the magic fountain one night, a tour of the Jewish quarter as well but there wasn't much to see as there hasn't really been a Jewish presence since the expulsion. Took a Segway tour. I had a very pleasant time there.

Of all three places I'd revisit Rome, the others were nice when I went.

Thank you so much for your kind and detailed response. Just wondering, did you do any research on the restaurants' hashgacha before you went? Also, which month were you in Venice that you found it smelly?

thanks again

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 8:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much for your kind and detailed response. Just wondering, did you do any research on the restaurants' hashgacha before you went? Also, which month were you in Venice that you found it smelly?

thanks again

Sure my pleasure 😊

Venice was in August, it was very humid and smelled pretty strong.

I didn't really research properly as I honestly have no idea how to. (I'd love to hear how you do it). I'd heard that everyone I know eats Chabad venice, Rome I only did milky as I was unsure, I can't remember about Barcelona.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:05 am
You MUST look into Jewish Romehistory if you go, and beware fake teudas/kosher by name

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:31 am
I’m so mystified that the word beach even came up in context with these 3 beautiful, historic cities. Aside from the obvious fact that Rome is landlocked, if you want a beach go somewhere silly like the Bahamas.

tichellady

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:16 am
I loved Venice and Rome, never been to Barcelona

I think Venice is very crowded in the summer, so I would probably choose Rome if that’s when you are going

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:23 am
I've been to all 3. Loved all of them but Rome is my favorite. No beaches in Rome or Venice.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:48 pm
Rome has a train to beach
Interestingly Italy has a great separate beach but it's nothing I visited personally

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:59 pm
Rome is amazing! So much great kosher food!
It's such a beautiful city.
Venice nice too but you don't need to spend much time there.
I hope to go to Rome again.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 1:03 pm
I liked both Venice and Rome, but I went in May, so the weather was pleasant. For Rome I’d try to reserve a private Jewish tour guide for a few hours if you’re able. It made the experience so much more interesting. Chabad in Venice has fun meals on Shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics