Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Why does shabbat food have to be traditional ashkenazi food?
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:17 am
Comptroller wrote:
Not really.
I had a regular guest who found my food bland. She said so in a nice way and I learned to season better, over time.
Oh, and I had another guest who said it in a not so nice way. That was also OK with me.

My favorite seasoning is fresh garlic, I use it a lot. So there are also guests who don't like garlic and say so.

I think it very socially off to tell one's host something negative about their food.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:19 am
Quote:
I see it that we were stuck in europe as very poor people with limited access to spices and good ingredients

Huh? My cholent is loaded with spices and good expensive meat. Ashkenazi food does not have to be bland and cheap.

amother
Honey

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:16 am
Comptroller wrote:
Not really.
I had a regular guest who found my food bland. She said so in a nice way and I learned to season better, over time.
Oh, and I had another guest who said it in a not so nice way. That was also OK with me.

My favorite seasoning is fresh garlic, I use it a lot. So there are also guests who don't like garlic and say so.

So you're admitting your food was bland.
The issue I take here is that My food is far from bland. So OP labeling all Ashkenazi food as bland is dumb and narrow minded.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:36 am
In eastern European cuisine its all about letting the foods themselves stand out on their own, so if you are a lover of flavors, it feels in comparison, bland. But really its just like someone who can't enjoy without salt & pepper, once you are accustomed to it. But if your palate is more sensitive, you can actually enjoy the foods without the spices. This is literally about preferences and what you are used to and enjoy.

There is no right and wrong.

zaq

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:39 am
Comptroller wrote:
Not really.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. I would not be so tolerant of a guest who had the gall to criticize my cooking. That's uncouth, even if the host accepts such behavior with good grace. Invitations are supposed to be about the company, with food being an excuse. If my food is so offensive that you feel you must comment negatively, don't accept future meal invitations.

cbsp

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:58 am
zaq wrote:
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. I would not be so tolerant of a guest who had the gall to criticize my cooking. That's uncouth, even if the host accepts such behavior with good grace. Invitations are supposed to be about the company, with food being an excuse. If my food is so offensive that you feel you must comment negatively, don't accept future meal invitations.

You doubt imamothers read Heidi but they did read Kipling? LOL

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:12 am
amother Honey wrote:
The issue I take here is that My food is far from bland. So OP labeling all Ashkenazi food as bland is dumb and narrow minded.

Classically, it's not as flavorful as some other cuisines, with less fresh, healthy ingredients.

amother
Honey

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 12:10 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
Classically, it's not as flavorful as some other cuisines, with less fresh, healthy ingredients.

I disagree.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 12:16 pm
I think Indian, Mexican, and Korean food is nauseating.

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:04 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
So you conclude from your private situation that this public post on SM is the same and since you reacted one way, everyone should?

Yes, why not?
I think that those who are offended are way too easy to offend.

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:09 pm
amother Honey wrote:

Yes, I admit my food was bland and I benefitted from the guest's input. I learned to cook with my palate, to taste when cooking.

Quote:

The point I am trying to make: taste is formed by cultural back ground, education, what you ate at home, etc. So I understand that there are cultures that are used to more spicy food, and to them our food might seem bland, and there is no reason to be offended, in my view. Just like they should not be offended when I refuse to eat their food because it is too spicey - not edible - to me.

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:11 pm
cbsp wrote:
You doubt imamothers read Heidi but they did read Kipling? LOL

How does Heidi come in? What did I miss?

cbsp

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:37 pm
Comptroller wrote:
How does Heidi come in? What did I miss?

From Zaq's eloquent post May 13, '24 @6:15pm on page 11 :

"Poor people's food changes with location and time. Whatever is expensive or hard to come by becomes rich people's food, and that which is plentiful and cheap becomes poor people's food. White flour, for example, was once the ultimate rich people's food; poor people made do with flour that still contained the bran. If you ever read Heidi , which I doubt, you'll recall the scene where Heidi goes to live with a well-to-do family and is entranced by the soft white rolls served at each meal. She hoards her rolls to bring back home to a toothless old woman who has trouble eating the peasant bread available to her."

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:43 pm
Comptroller wrote:
Not really.

They are both rude and lacking social skills. I’d also explore why you consider it not insulting. Were you perhaps taught that you deserve to be pug down?

imaima

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:49 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
I think it very socially off to tell one's host something negative about their food.

Absolutely
Unless you ask with the explicit desire to improve your food

DrMom

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:54 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
In eastern European cuisine its all about letting the foods themselves stand out on their own, so if you are a lover of flavors, it feels in comparison, bland. But really its just like someone who can't enjoy without salt & pepper, once you are accustomed to it. But if your palate is more sensitive, you can actually enjoy the foods without the spices. This is literally about preferences and what you are used to and enjoy.

I don't have as much issue with the lack of spices (classical French cuisine is all about enhancing the natural flavors of food as well, and I don't mind French cuisine), as the lack of fresh vegetables and the overall heaviness of the food.

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:05 pm
cbsp wrote:
From Zaq's eloquent post May 13, '24 @6:15pm on page 11 :

"Poor people's food changes with location and time. Whatever is expensive or hard to come by becomes rich people's food, and that which is plentiful and cheap becomes poor people's food. White flour, for example, was once the ultimate rich people's food; poor people made do with flour that still contained the bran. If you ever read Heidi , which I doubt, you'll recall the scene where Heidi goes to live with a well-to-do family and is entranced by the soft white rolls served at each meal. She hoards her rolls to bring back home to a toothless old woman who has trouble eating the peasant bread available to her."

Oh, I see, I missed this. Of course I read Heidi...

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:08 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
They are both rude and lacking social skills. I’d also explore why you consider it not insulting. Were you perhaps taught that you deserve to be pug down?

No, not at all.
Actually, to the one who was not so nice, who asked me if I was crazy when I offered her - I don't remember what it was - I answered "All the better, there will be more for the rest of us" - and then she really flipped out... which I found inappropriate...

Yes, maybe this one was really crazy or lacking social skills...

amother
Melon

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:41 pm
I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if this was suggested already but if you are interested in learning more about traditional Ashkenazi shabbos food, the book Shabbos Secrets by Rabbi Dovid Meisels. It has so many fascinating insights.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:00 pm
Comptroller wrote:
No, not at all.
Actually, to the one who was not so nice, who asked me if I was crazy when I offered her - I don't remember what it was - I answered "All the better, there will be more for the rest of us" - and then she really flipped out... which I found inappropriate...

Yes, maybe this one was really crazy or lacking social skills...

I dont think its fair to be a guest and have expectations, as stated earlier, you go for the company. Have something prepared at home just in case. A guest should never mention anything negative about the hostesses offerings.
Its ok to avoid something you dont like. But be quiet about it.
Once, another guest kept encouraging me to try a food I found gross, and I politely declined, showing her my full plate. She ended up shaming me, loudly at the table, in front of my dh and children.
I have learned to distance myself at the first signs of craziness.
I would have done the same with the OP, but instead of just encouraging people to try new foods at the Shabbos table to enhance, she insulted.
Page 12 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics