Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Jerseycare insurance termination question

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:07 pm
Hi, if anyone was on New Jersey Family Care insurance and was recently terminated, I gave a couple of questions. I recently filled out our recertification and I gave a feeling we will be terminated.
How long did it take to hear back from them?
If you were terminated, was it right away or did you have a grace period?
Thanks.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:13 pm
It took 4 months until we got notice of termination. We got it April 3rd, and were terminated April 30th. So you'll likely have until the end of the month from when you get the letter. Start planning now though...

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:33 pm
We didn't get notice. Only found out when we went to the dr and were told we didn't have insurance.

I know that's really reassuring lol. But happened to us when they just started terminating so hopefully it's more streamlined now.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:29 am
I filled out my recertification in October, they asked for income verification about 4 months later, and we were terminated April 30. So it took them 6 months to process altogether. We got the termination letter about 2 weeks before the termination date.

Hopefully you have a long time like I did!

I was able to check the status of my recertification online. (I don't remember if kts because I submitted it online?)

https://dmahs-nj.my.site.com/f.....start

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:45 am
We got a letter the first week in May that we were terminated as of April 30. I don't remember when we sent in our recertification since dh took care of it.

What's everyone doing for insurance now? I'm freaking out!

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:30 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
We got a letter the first week in May that we were terminated as of April 30. I don't remember when we sent in our recertification since dh took care of it.

What's everyone doing for insurance now? I'm freaking out!

Wow they only told you afterwards! That's insane.
I put the whole family on united refuah until open enrollment and then I'll try the marketplace

rkay

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:31 am
amother Beige wrote:
I put the whole family on united refuah until open enrollment and then I'll try the marketplace

You can get marketplace now if you were kicked off jersey care. You get a special enrollment period.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:37 am
rkay wrote:
You can get marketplace now if you were kicked off jersey care. You get a special enrollment period.

I know but since I'm just applying for my kids not eligible for subsidies. By open enrollment I can apply for the whole family and get subsidies.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:01 am
Thank you, this was helpful.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:08 am
amother Beige wrote:
I know but since I'm just applying for my kids not eligible for subsidies. By open enrollment I can apply for the whole family and get subsidies.

Any time you lose health insurance of any kind, an Open Enrollment starts and you can get insurance through the marketplace.

If you were getting some form of Medicaid, your income should be low enough to be eligible for some premium subsidy on the marketplace.

Depending on your income, Silver Tier can be the best option since it can also subsidize actual medical costs - again depends on your income.

You have a very limited time to get it since Open Enrollment period is only 60 days.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:56 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Any time you lose health insurance of any kind, an Open Enrollment starts and you can get insurance through the marketplace.

If you were getting some form of Medicaid, your income should be low enough to be eligible for some premium subsidy on the marketplace.

Depending on your income, Silver Tier can be the best option since it can also subsidize actual medical costs - again depends on your income.

You have a very limited time to get it since Open Enrollment period is only 60 days.

I'm aware. My husband and I were not on Jersey care. So we are not eligible for open enrollment now. If I just apply for my kids using special enrollment I won't be eligible for subsidies. If I apply in the fall as a family, then I may be.
Most of us getting kicked off Jersey care haven't been eligible for years. We're making way over the limit, they just haven't done recertifications until now since covid.

BusyBoys

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:07 am
amother Beige wrote:

If you get terminated there is always a grace period of (90days) to enroll in a marketplace plan.
Out of open enrollment, any life changing event makes you eligible to enroll.
For example- Nj fam care termination, and once you’re on a plan- a pregnancy, income change etc

BusyBoys

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:09 am
amother Beige wrote:
I'm aware. My husband and I were not on Jersey care. So we are not eligible for open enrollment now. If I just apply for my kids using special enrollment I won't be eligible for subsidies. If I apply in the fall as a family, then I may be.
Most of us getting kicked off Jersey care haven't been eligible for years. We're making way over the limit, they just haven't done recertifications until now since covid.

Can I ask what insurance plan you and your husband are on?
Why were you not on Jersey care and your kids were?
I’m in same boat so trying to hear more experiences

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:02 am
BusyBoys wrote:
Can I ask what insurance plan you and your husband are on?
Why were you not on Jersey care and your kids were?
I’m in same boat so trying to hear more experiences

The income eligibility cut off is different for adults and kids. So we weren't eligible and my kids were a few years ago. Once there's kids on the plan they allow you to add more kids without updating your income. I was on my parents insurance for the last while and then went onto united refuah. My husband had a catastrophic plan through Horizon.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:02 am
BusyBoys wrote:
If you get terminated there is always a grace period of (90days) to enroll in a marketplace plan.
Out of open enrollment, any life changing event makes you eligible to enroll.
For example- Nj fam care termination, and once you’re on a plan- a pregnancy, income change etc

Yeah I know, I replied above

BusyBoys

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:03 am
amother Beige wrote:
The income eligibility cut off is different for adults and kids. So we weren't eligible and my kids were a few years ago. Once there's kids on the plan they allow you to add more kids without updating your income. I was on my parents insurance for the last while and then went onto united refuah. My husband had a catastrophic plan through Horizon.

Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics