Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shopping multiple times a week - argh!

justforfun87

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:15 am
Every week I say I will do better. I don't have time to run to different stores but I will try to do a Jewish store for the Kosher stuff and Walmart Plus. I only have one fridge side by side so I can't really double up on things.

I feel like I think about food all week. Pretty sure this week I have online ordered or gone in 4 separate times. My family seems to eat a TON and a packed fridge/cabinet could be emptied within days. I am not even going to get started on the cost. Just the mental energy of trying to keep my house filled with food is like a dreaded thought. There is definitely some holocaust trauma around food so I get very anxious when we run low and I am not a great cook so it is hard for me to make substitutes.

Is it just me ordering grocery food practically every day? On a good week I can get it down to 2-3 different purchases.

Gaaaah!!!

amother
Lily

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:29 am
I feel you!

my kids are still little so its much easier for me to manage the food consumption LOL

I also meal plan.. make a supper/lunch/snack menu for the week and shop for all ingredients on sunday.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:36 am
I shop multiple times a week. Fresh produce doesn’t last and I hate defrosting meat/chicken, would rather eat fresh.

I have a small family and 2 fridges.

B”H when my kids were small, I worked part time and had the flexibility to go. Now my kids are big and don’t go to Oros, so they go for me.

naomi2

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:39 am
Once a week you need to make a menu and shipping list

justforfun87

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:40 am
naomi2 wrote:
Once a week you need to make a menu and shipping list

So I guess just buy doubles? I will buy like a bag of tortilla chips and that is finished the next day or a box of crackers.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:01 pm
[quote="

B”H when my kids were small, I worked part time and had the flexibility to go. Now my kids are big and don’t go to Oros, so they go for me.[/quote]

Funny posters are back!!!

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:15 pm
Once a week is totally feasible if you do it right. You need to keep a VERY THOROUGH running list. All thru the week keep adding when you think of things, check to see what’s low. Meal plan for the week- down to 3 meals a day, Shabbos, have extra in case yih might have guests last minute, snacks etc etc

I did this on Thursday in ONE decently priced kosher supermarket. You need to be super organized and on top of things. Do things like Walmart/target once or twice a month

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:20 pm
I cannot shop once a week. Fresh produce just doesn't last long enough and I don't enjoy much of the canned or frozen varieties. Not to mention that when the fridge and pantry are stuffed to the max nobody can find anything and it's just unpleasant. I also just don't have much time for shopping either. I've resigned myself to Instacart life. It works well for us. Deliveries about every other day; more if needed.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:26 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
Once a week is totally feasible if you do it right. You need to keep a VERY THOROUGH running list. All thru the week keep adding when you think of things, check to see what’s low. Meal plan for the week- down to 3 meals a day, Shabbos, have extra in case yih might have guests last minute, snacks etc etc

I did this on Thursday in ONE decently priced kosher supermarket. You need to be super organized and on top of things. Do things like Walmart/target once or twice a month

This is the way and it also helps significantly with food budget.

Stores want to get you into the store as often as possible because they know you are more likely to purchase things once you are there.

It also helps budget because you don't have to go crazy but you can check out the sales and plan your weekly menus or even which store to purchase from based on that. You don't have to go crazy but if one store has a good price on chicken breasts, then I will plan some recipes using them plus purchase from that store.

Or if an ingredient is on sale, I might pick it up because it is a good price - like cherries on sale now at my stores.

Also some produce lasts a long time - so bagged coleslaw or some of the fancier chopped kale type of mixes aren't that perishable. I always have a lot of mandarin oranges in the produce drawer because they also last a long time

It also helps to have a few recipes that are made with ingredients that are in your pantry or are pretty much staples. I also always keep some meals frozen so that it is easy to have dinner if all else fails.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:46 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
I shop multiple times a week. Fresh produce doesn’t last and I hate defrosting meat/chicken, would rather eat fresh.

I have a small family and 2 fridges.

B”H when my kids were small, I worked part time and had the flexibility to go. Now my kids are big and don’t go to Oros, so they go for me.

LOL LOL LOL

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:52 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
So I guess just buy doubles? I will buy like a bag of tortilla chips and that is finished the next day or a box of crackers.

It sounds like you need to plan for a box or bag a day. Buy 5 such family size packs, so you don't over-estimate. You can still cover yourself with a 2nd shopping as necessary if you really need 7.

mizle10

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:54 pm
justforfun87 wrote:

Snacks is a cheap easy thing to buy in bulk. I do a walmart instacart order as needed of about 50 bags of snacks. Chips, pretzels, pringles, oreos are all very cheap in walmart. Cereals also. I keep it in a storage closet and bring 3-4 bags to the kitchen pantry as needed.

I still go to the grocery store every day but not for snacks LOL

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 1:01 pm
I make a menu for the week and do one big order on sunday but sometimes before shabbos I need a top-off. Big order has everything for supper and snacks, pantry stuff, extra veggies for snacking... but before shbs I buy cold cuts, cut fruits, magazines... and if it gets used up, either I buy more the next week or I don't. No reason kids need a big bag of chips every evening when studying. They can take chips one night but other nights they can do baby carrots or sip a soda can.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 1:20 pm
OP, ever thought of getting a 2nd fridge, even a used one?
We are two adults with two standard sized fridges.
I prefer shopping once a week or less of I can.
Two fridges enables me to shop less frequently.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 1:58 pm
Amarante wrote:
This is the way and it also helps significantly with food budget.

Stores want to get you into the store as often as possible because they know you are more likely to purchase things once you are there.

This!

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 2:03 pm
When your children are young (until age 9 or 10) you can watch and control the fridge, cabinets. When children reach the teens, their stomachs and appetites grow overnight. (mostly boys) you feel like you can win the fight on food. There isn't enough. It passes but takes time. Try to have meals with soups, that can be filling, good vegies, Chummos for dipping. Maybe you need to order double. also a fridge (even though expensive) really does save the day. If you have a side room,back room, garage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics