Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
I answered "yes" during a spam call

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:33 pm
I got a weird call, and at first I was 100% sure it was a scam call, but 45 second in, realized it was and hung up mid sentence. But first they asked few questions and I was careful to say hmm and the like but at one point I replied "yes" now I'm scared they can use that. Supposedly that's an issue?!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:42 pm
What did you say yes to?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:43 pm
Maybe he said like 'do you hear me'? but they record that and supposedly use it to access bank etc, because they require your voice to say yes. This is a known scam, but I'm wondering how worried I need to be and if there's anything I need to do

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:44 pm
I wouldn’t be worried

chanatron1000

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:46 pm
I'm not sure it's still relevant, because at this point AI voice replication is advanced enough that even if you don't say "yes," they can still have a recording that sounds a lot like you saying "yes."

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Maybe he said like 'do you hear me'? but they record that and supposedly use it to access bank etc, because they require your voice to say yes. This is a known scam, but I'm wondering how worried I need to be and if there's anything I need to do

I remember my brother warning me years ago about this, that I need to mumble (if speak at all) to these calls. But it seems absolutely impossible that a recording of your voice saying "yes" is going to grant them bank access or any other kind of access to anything. DH talks to spam callers constantly (he's much nicer than me - I just hang up) and our accounts haven't been drained yet.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:49 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
I'm not sure it's still relevant, because at this point AI voice replication is advanced enough that even if you don't say "yes," they can still have a recording that sounds a lot like you saying "yes."

Thank you, that's what I was thinking as well. I feel better now. Thanks

thriver

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:53 am
In our house, we have a great time scamming these scammers right back. We try and string them along and keep them on the phone for as long as possible 😆. We feel it’s best to keep them occupied so they can’t call other people.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:11 pm
amother OP wrote:

They can't access your bank with a recording of your saying the word yes. They could try to say you said yes to paying something, but without giving them any payment information they have nothing on you.

peace2

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:13 pm
Do you have voice authentication set up for your bank? Mine has me say a whole sentence so “yes” probably won’t get them anywhere

amother
Begonia

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:14 pm
Yes if you have your voice in a message on your voice mail they can use that … I don’t think what you say to them matters much

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:16 pm
If that was the issue, they can do that the second you pick up and say "hello?" It's not a problem. The issue is when you pick up, it confirms that your number is attached to a human and they use that info to get you on more lists for more scam calls.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:19 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
If that was the issue, they can do that the second you pick up and say "hello?" It's not a problem. The issue is when you pick up, it confirms that your number is attached to a human and they use that info to get you on more lists for more scam calls.

I could live with that. Usually it says potential spam then and I'm good

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:19 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:

This. These days they don’t rely on a “yes” from
You anymore
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries