Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Dirty Dishes When Eating Out

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:09 pm
1. When you are a guest by someone's house and notice they didn't clean their dishes well, how do you handle it?

2. What would you do if you notice this often by in laws house?

hodeez

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:12 pm
I would offer to do the dishes

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:13 pm
Honestly probably not eat much and won’t come back unless I know they’re using paper goods
In laws I would prob say something but not put them down. Like there’s something on my plate lemme go wash it real quick or I would purposely spill something on it so I have excuse to wash it

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:14 pm
hodeez wrote:
I would offer to do the dishes

What if the dishes in the cabinet are dirty, which are cleaned when you are not there.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:20 pm
I would try to set the table and wipe down anything dirty covertly

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:20 pm
Gift them fancy disposables?

amother
Almond

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:31 pm
Gift them a dishwasher

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:41 pm
Yeah so this happens with my in laws and it grosses me out.. obviously. If I can choose my own plate and cutlery I do that. If I can't then I'll just clean it myself if I could. Or use the other side of the plate. Or trade forks with dh.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:42 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Gift them a dishwasher

Dishes can come out dirty & smelly from the dishwasher.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:43 pm
I’ve cleaned my plate at some people otherwise I just deal with it 🙈

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:45 pm
Happens all the time at my in-laws. She started going to shul lately on yom tov morning so I would quickly wash the dishes while she was gone. Before that, years ago, I would have a big issue and many times only had challah at the seudah. I would bring food and keep in my room (fruit, snacks) or eat with plastic when I fed my kids, take a bite and then feed them a bite type of thing

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:45 pm
amother Clear wrote:
I’ve cleaned my plate at some people otherwise I just deal with it 🙈

I've had the dirty plate issue at people that serve everything plated.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:50 pm
I gag when I eat at my in-laws. The dishes smell bad I’ve seen mil washing dishes 🤢
She takes a tiny dot of soapy on her finger rubs it and then rinses in a small stream of water. And the sponges look like they’ve been sitting since sheishes yemei bereishis.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:56 am
Has it occurred to you that maybe your in-laws are over 40 and their eyesight is not as sharp as yours? You can't clean anything properly if you don't see the dirt. And unless you see bits of actual food on the dish, you may be interpreting hard-water spots as dirt. A water -spotted knife or glass looks just as unappealing as a genuinely dirty one.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:36 am
I'm not so finicky in general, but I was at a wedding once where the silverware was so filthy you could see what the previous user had eaten with it. We asked the waitress for disposables, it was that gross. In someone's house, I'm not sure what I would do.

I was once a guest and there was a dead bug in my glass. I told the host I wanted to get a drink of water from the kitchen, and I ran there and quickly rinsed it. I say ran because the host immediately insisted on bringing a pitcher of water to the table when I said that, so I had to beat him to the kitchen so I could rinse the cup before he saw.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:32 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
Has it occurred to you that maybe your in-laws are over 40 and their eyesight is not as sharp as yours? You can't clean anything properly if you don't see the dirt. And unless you see bits of actual food on the dish, you may be interpreting hard-water spots as dirt. A water -spotted knife or glass looks just as unappealing as a genuinely dirty one.

If your talking to me my mil was alway like this even when she was 30. She never washed the dishes properly.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:36 am
amother Charcoal wrote:

I'm talking about actual pieces of food! Like you say maybe it is their eyesight, but this thread was not about blame, but about suggestions. Just because there is a possible reason, it doesn't change the fact that the dishes are dirty.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm talking about actual pieces of food!

Yes same By my il.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry