Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Seeking school for gifted DD
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:58 pm
Looking for info on a program for gifted children in the tri state area. I don't know if such a thing exists in our world but I'm hoping to get more info and see what we can institute in Brooklyn.

Also I recall someone - from Teaneck I believe -offering to share their expertise with whoever needs it. Can't find the post so if you were the one who so kindly offered the info in the old post, can you please repost here?!

This info is really going to hopefully SAVE LIVES and nip issues in the bud. Bright kids should not become struggling kids due to our current school system not catering to them whatsoever.

Thank you so much.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Looking for info on a program for gifted children in the tri state area. I don't know if such a thing exists in our world but I'm hoping to get more info and see what we can institute in Brooklyn.

Also I recall someone - from Teaneck I believe -offering to share their expertise with whoever needs it. Can't find the post so if you were the one who so kindly offered the info in the old post, can you please repost here?!

This info is really going to hopefully SAVE LIVES and nip issues in the bud. Bright kids should not become struggling kids due to our current school system not catering to them whatsoever.

Thank you so much.

My expertise is gifted education. My website is giftedspace.com. You can contact me through the website. I'm based in Israel but happy to help you set up a program.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:06 pm
There is a woman in Passaic who ran a gifted program in my boys school before she moved. She works for torah u mesorah now. If that rings a bell I can send you her name and contact information.

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:53 pm
I have an extremely gifted twelve year old. She is in a typical school with a bunch of enrichment. I find this is developing her social smarts and teaching her to function in society
This year I got her the Federal guide for civil procedure, she did a class on nuclear physics in UI . MIT has some excellent open coursework

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:01 pm
mha3484 wrote:
There is a woman in Passaic who ran a gifted program in my boys school before she moved. She works for torah u mesorah now. If that rings a bell I can send you her name and contact information.

Does your school still have something. Really what bothers me the most is that my daughter is in such a small class oot once you account for the kids being pulled out but doesn't really feel different then her being in a big class

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:04 pm
I know gifted children who study at Ramaz. It's an excellent MO school. For the higher grades they have tracks for each subject, I believe it's the closest you will get to a yeshiva for gifted children.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:11 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
I have an extremely gifted twelve year old. She is in a typical school with a bunch of enrichment. I find this is developing her social smarts and teaching her to function in society
This year I got her the Federal guide for civil procedure, she did a class on nuclear physics in UI . MIT has some excellent open coursework

She isn't bored and annoyed? My dd is only in second grade right now, but she's already bored all day long and so frustrated. At some point she was begging me to skip a grade (she has a lovely circle of friends and is socially typical, so I didn't want to do it), but now she's gotten to the point where she says "I used to think that skipping a grade would make everything better, but now I realize that third grade would also be boring and way too easy, so what's the point? I'm going to be bored forever..."

I've tried telling her that math, English, etc are only some of the things that kids learn in school, and that learning to get along with other kids, learning to be patient with other people, learning to work as a team, learning to be a leader, etc. are also important skills to learn in school. She says she knows all of those already and has been practicing them since preschool...Sigh.

Doesn't the review of skills drive her crazy? Or does she work on her own stuff in the back of the classroom? Is she pulled out for a lot of things? My dd recently asked me to get out books for her on codes and ciphers so she could at least work on those when she's bored in class...but the teachers are very set on the fact that she needs to do the work with the rest of the class and can only start on her own work when that's done. Which means she still needs to write over the spelling list and make sentences with the words (loud, sound, plow), she still needs to sit and chant with the other kids during kriyah time, she still needs to do a whole page of addition or subtraction or whatever before she can move on to anything else...It's so frustrating to her.

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:23 pm
amother Canary wrote:
She isn't bored and annoyed? My dd is only in second grade right now, but she's already bored all day long and so frustrated. At some point she was begging me to skip a grade (she has a lovely circle of friends and is socially typical, so I didn't want to do it), but now she's gotten to the point where she says "I used to think that skipping a grade would make everything better, but now I realize that third grade would also be boring and way too easy, so what's the point? I'm going to be bored forever..."

I've tried telling her that math, English, etc are only some of the things that kids learn in school, and that learning to get along with other kids, learning to be patient with other people, learning to work as a team, learning to be a leader, etc. are also important skills to learn in school. She says she knows all of those already and has been practicing them since preschool...Sigh.

Doesn't the review of skills drive her crazy? Or does she work on her own stuff in the back of the classroom? Is she pulled out for a lot of things? My dd recently asked me to get out books for her on codes and ciphers so she could at least work on those when she's bored in class...but the teachers are very set on the fact that she needs to do the work with the rest of the class and can only start on her own work when that's done. Which means she still needs to write over the spelling list and make sentences with the words (loud, sound, plow), she still needs to sit and chant with the other kids during kriyah time, she still needs to do a whole page of addition or subtraction or whatever before she can move on to anything else...It's so frustrating to her.

It’s a wonderful problem to have. Our school bless them works along with us and that is key.
For example in Chumash a child (a different one of mine) taught themselves to read unkelus. Great skill. Fun. Off the radar. Not annoying. My daughter’s social skills are excellent.. but it took a long time for them to come in. It’s important in my experience (not only with 12 but with 7 and 16 as well) not to feed into it by acknowledging their irritation at less gifted peers. My line is a smart girl or boy can learn something from everyone and every experience. I think that working on at home enrichment is important. I’ve grown bacteria (college level microbiology) with them. I’ve taught fractions to pre schoolers by having them make a cake with only a teaspoon and a 1:”/2 cup measuring cup and we’ve studied Chernobyl basic criminal law basic civil procedure and much more. We’ve read books and had a great time. They are amazing kids . I feel blessed to watch them develop. I have a bunch more to say.
It’s possible that when higher order thinking comes in she may crash. Excellent memory/reading skills don’t always correlate to higher order thinking
Oh if your daughter reads Hebrew the encyclopedia of chachmei hatalmud is fascinating

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:35 pm
"but the teachers are very set on the fact that she needs to do the work with the rest of the class and can only start on her own work when that's done"

was told the same thing by our school. I had to fight for enrichment for her and it was only when I had the enrichment teacher check her out was she approved, her regular teacher didn't seem to think it was necessary. so frustrating.

to the last amother. it seems like you just don't expect the school to teach her and are ok with her being bored in school. I'm paying tuition, I want my child to learn something in school, is that really unreasonable. judaic studies has been fine, it's secular studies and I don't get the impression that she's learning any social skills that she wouldn't be learning in judaic studies. it just feels like a lot of busy work in secular studies.

It sounds like you teach her high level stuff yourself. basically hope that the parents are smart as well .
I also never get the impression from my kids that they are frustrated with slower kids in their class. my kids are really sweet and happy to help out other children. not judgmental at all. I think a child can be bored without judging their peers.

and it's true that skipping doesn't solve it. my dd skipped.

ramaz is a great school for gifted but personally it wouldn't be an option for me religiously. I wish that schools would treat it as something to address just like they work with slower kids...

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:38 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
"but the teachers are very set on the fact that she needs to do the work with the rest of the class and can only start on her own work when that's done"

was told the same thing by our school. I had to fight for enrichment for her and it was only when I had the enrichment teacher check her out was she approved, her regular teacher didn't seem to think it was necessary. so frustrating.

to the last amother. it seems like you just don't expect the school to teach her and are ok with her being bored in school. I'm paying tuition, I want my child to get an education. judaic studies has been fine, it's secular studies and I don't get the impression that she's learning any social skills that she wouldn't be learning in judaic studies. it just feels like a lot of busy work in secular studies.

It sounds like you teach her high level stuff yourself. basically hope that the parents are smart as well .

My school is absolutely working with us IE they procured a bunch of new books for the school library to accommodate her voracious appetite for books. But I expect a high level curriculum for a seventh grader. I don’t expect college classes. Those I do myself. And I’ll admit sometimes it’s great fun to learn along with her

mha3484

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:38 pm
Does your school still have something. Really what bothers me the most is that my daughter is in such a small class oot once you account for the kids being pulled out but doesn't really feel different then her being in a big class

No the program dissolved when she moved. My son is gifted and I find it so so hard. There is next to no social support for parenting a kid like this. I just guess a lot and daven.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:41 pm
mha3484 wrote:
No the program dissolved when she moved. My son is gifted and I find it so so hard. There is next to no social support for parenting a kid like this. I just guess a lot and daven.

that's so sad that the school didn't replace her Sad
sometimes it feels like instead of schools deciding what they need and then finding the staff for it the find the staff and then create the jobs based on who they can hire (outside of actual teachers)

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:42 pm
There aren’t enough gifted kids in the frum world in one location to make it worthwhile for someone to run such programs. I have a few gifted kids and each one handles it differently and it’s been a rough journey.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:43 pm

to the last amother. it seems like you just don't expect the school to teach her and are ok with her being bored in school. I'm paying tuition, I want my child to get an education. judaic studies has been fine, it's secular studies and I don't get the impression that she's learning any social skills that she wouldn't be learning in judaic studies. it just feels like a lot of busy work in secular studies.

I have older kids that are bright in different ways, but only one that was bored like this, and he's twice exceptional so it was a totally different kettle of worms.

And I don't really want to teach her things at home. I want her to be a kid. I want her to play outside with the girls on the block and play board games with her siblings at home. We do some stuff, but not a ton, partially because it takes time to organize these things and I don't have it, and partially because I really want her time to be taken up with organizing her stickers and playing with her toddler sibling and playing catch with a sibling close to her age...and if there's something intellectually stimulating going on, she won't do those things, she'll just focus on that.

Am I an awful mother? I was smart as a kid and my mother had me doing mail-in enrichment programs (yes, they existed before the internet made these things easier) and summer camps at college programs, all on topics that I loved and was interested in...and part of me is grateful for that. But the other part thinks that being a kid is important too.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:44 pm
My school is absolutely working with us IE they procured a bunch of new books for the school library to accommodate her voracious appetite for books. But I expect a high level curriculum for a seventh grader. I don’t expect college classes. Those I do myself. And I’ll admit sometimes it’s great fun to learn along with her

anything in particular that you've bought that would be appropriate for someone a little younger then your daughter.

also would love book recommendations, find that once you are out of the 8-12 reading level range but not age, there's more questionable content and harder to find books for a voracious reader.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:47 pm
amother Canary wrote:
I have older kids that are bright in different ways, but only one that was bored like this, and he's twice exceptional so it was a totally different kettle of worms.

And I don't really want to teach her things at home. I want her to be a kid. I want her to play outside with the girls on the block and play board games with her siblings at home. We do some stuff, but not a ton, partially because it takes time to organize these things and I don't have it, and partially because I really want her time to be taken up with organizing her stickers and playing with her toddler sibling and playing catch with a sibling close to her age...and if there's something intellectually stimulating going on, she won't do those things, she'll just focus on that.

Am I an awful mother? I was smart as a kid and my mother had me doing mail-in enrichment programs (yes, they existed before the internet made these things easier) and summer camps at college programs, all on topics that I loved and was interested in...and part of me is grateful for that. But the other part thinks that being a kid is important too.

not sure if you meant to quote me or the mother who does chemistry experiments with her child but yest I 100 percent agree with you! that's why I wish that they could do harder stuff with her in school and then at home she can chill and be a kid!

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 4:06 pm
anything in particular that you've bought that would be appropriate for someone a little younger then your daughter.

also would love book recommendations, find that once you are out of the 8-12 reading level range but not age, there's more questionable content and harder to find books for a voracious reader.

I feel really sick now but PM me and when I feel a bit stronger I’ll look through what I have.
But for sure google grow your own bacteria I did that in pre1a and it’s brilliant and fascinating

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 4:24 pm
I feel really sick now but PM me and when I feel a bit stronger I’ll look through what I have.
But for sure google grow your own bacteria I did that in pre1a and it’s brilliant and fascinating

refuah shelaima!
you are anonymous so I can't pm you

yachnabobba

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 4:24 pm
refuah shelaima!
you are anonymous so I can't pm you

Oops

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 6:26 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
There aren’t enough gifted kids in the frum world in one location to make it worthwhile for someone to run such programs. I have a few gifted kids and each one handles it differently and it’s been a rough journey.

We are in the process of opening such a program in Yerushalayim.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)