Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Gift for Rebbe - above and beyond
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:14 pm
I'd like to get a really nice end-of-year gift for my son's Rebbe who went way above and beyond for him this entire year. We've given Chanukah and Purim cash gifts but I want to get something really special for the end of the year. I'm willing to spend up to $500 but it would be weird to just give him so much cash like that. Any ideas?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:16 pm
First of all, you sound like a very special person. It’s very thoughtful of you to want to recognize all his efforts.
I don’t think it’s weird to give cash at all. I’ve done it as well. It will be greatly appreciated.

Writergirl

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:19 pm
500 cash especially at thus time of year will be so so appreciated. Will likely take a load off the rabbis shoulders. So nice of you

mha3484

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:31 pm
When I had this situation, I gave cash and it was very much appreciated.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:34 pm
Cash is the most appreciated!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:49 pm
Definitely cash. I can't imagine what $500 item you can buy as a gift that will be what he wants.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:53 pm
Cash!!

So nice of you, starting to think of end of the year gifts and going with an $36 Amazon gift card. Instead of a cool mug or something

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:02 pm
Thanks all for weighing in! Seems like it's unanimous. Is it selfish of me that I want to give him something he'll have for many years and remember us by? Cash gets used on groceries and is gone in a minute.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:02 pm
Wife of rebbe here. Cash and a note is most appreciated. We don’t have so much income in summer, so this will help.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks all for weighing in! Seems like it's unanimous. Is it selfish of me that I want to give him something he'll have for many years and remember us by? Cash gets used on groceries and is gone in a minute.

A nice handwritten card along with the money will most probably be saved

Maybe something small along if you want to spend more to add a tefilos haderech or a nice leather wallet? But really cash is king

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:05 pm
amother OP wrote:

As a teacher, I don't forget the large cash bonuses. They really, really help. Think of the camp fee or the outstanding bill he'll pay with that money and the burden you'll be lifting from his shoulders. It goes a very long way physically and emotionally and makes a teacher feel understood and appreciated.

motheroftoo

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:08 pm
You can try a gift card for a nice wall hanging art

Lemonade 2323

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:09 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
A nice handwritten card along with the money will most probably be saved

Maybe something small along if you want to spend more to add a tefilos haderech or a nice leather wallet? But really cash is king

You're not selfish, you're human! But why can't you do both? A cash gift with a heartfelt note. I keep all notes, they mean a lot.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:15 pm
My husband isn't a Rebbi but is in a different klei kodesh field. If someone gave him $500 it would go towards rent.

What he would LOVE is a $500 gift card to Eichlers or a local seforim store.

TR91

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:21 pm
What about $400 cash and a $100 gift?

Imabubby60

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 1:57 am
A Costco Gift Card is great because there are so many options for things to purchase besides food. It's a great cash substitute and less "tacky".

amother
Currant

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 2:12 am
Imabubby60 wrote:
A Costco Gift Card is great because there are so many options for things to purchase besides food. It's a great cash substitute and less "tacky".

Most people would prefer cash to a Costco gift card. And imo it's nicer

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 2:50 am
amother Lime wrote:
My husband isn't a Rebbi but is in a different klei kodesh field. If someone gave him $500 it would go towards rent.

What he would LOVE is a $500 gift card to Eichlers or a local seforim store.

I would suggest cash with a new Sefer that has come out with a gift receipt so he can exchange it. It's classy and appropriate.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 2:54 am
In these inflationary times please go with cash! Most people are struggling even if they work regular jobs so a rebbi must really be having a hard time. If you give him anything other than cash, chances are high that every time he looks at that thing, he thinks about how he wishes you gave him cash instead.

Have you ever been poor, op? I feel like you haven’t been because you were, you’d know that someone gifting you money that you desperately need is the hugest relief and you don’t soon forget it.

:)iknowit

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 4:07 am
My husband saves all the thank you notes in our safe! It means so much to him. He gives me the cash and it goes towards rent which is such a huge help.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics