Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Dessert to go?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 8:27 am
I'm going to a friend for a meal on r"h and want to bring a dessert, but not ice-cream, cake, cookies, fruit, or candies. Is there any type of dessert that I can bring? I don't mind baking. It actually could be cake or cookies, just not, "here are a plate of cookies or cake, enjoy", something nicer. Any suggestions, please? Thanks!

elf123

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 8:38 am
I would do a trifle, have done it before. It looks impressive, feeds a lot, and usually isn't too hard to make. There's a great one in I think Kosher by Design entertains...Cookies 'n Cream Trifle, but trifle recipes aren't hard to find.

mandksima

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 8:38 am
How about a fancier flan with fresh fruit and custard or a brownie torte (with whipped cream, nuts and such, I have a recipe if you want it.) Both are more exciting than a tray of cookies or cake.

heffer569

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 8:41 am
if u r able get puff pastry dough u can make cream horns. u wrap strips of dough around these metal horn things and bake. then whip up a whip with half a packet of vanilla pudding and squeeze into the horns they look really pretty and taste great.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 8:44 am
Mousse in a baked-mousse shell. Very pretty and easy.
Tart with chocolate filling and nicely decorated on top.
I used to do those years ago when I made desserts.

OldYoung

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 9:52 am
elf123 wrote:
I would do a trifle, have done it before. It looks impressive, feeds a lot, and usually isn't too hard to make. There's a great one in I think Kosher by Design entertains...Cookies 'n Cream Trifle, but trifle recipes aren't hard to find.

Yeah! That's a great idea! I would make a strawberry shortcake trifle... mmmmm Wink

sky

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 10:23 am
Fruit desserts are always yummy and different:

Fruit and custard tart (mentioned above) you can make a pie tart, fill with store bought custard, or make your own, and decorate with fresh fruit (kiwi, strawberries, peaches, blueberries and paint with melted jam). Can look very professional with not a lot of work.

Open blueberry tart - bake a blueberry tart and cover with fresh blueberries when done baking

Any fruit pie - blueberry, pear, apple, strawberry - ruhbarb

KBD entertain has a delicious apple gelatto that I bake in a pie pan and it is always a big hit!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 10:39 am
mandksima wrote:
How about a fancier flan with fresh fruit and custard or a brownie torte (with whipped cream, nuts and such, I have a recipe if you want it.) Both are more exciting than a tray of cookies or cake.

sounds good, you have the recipe, please?

The trifle sounds good except for 2 problems, I only have a glass trifle bowl and I don't know where to buy one here. Also, I have to be able to carry it down 4 flights and then up 2 flights with a stroller and baby. Up the 2, my dh will be there to help, but not down the 4.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:03 am
KBD has a sunken apple & honey tart perfect for RH.

mandksima

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 1:51 pm
yo'ma wrote:
mandksima wrote:

sounds good, you have the recipe, please?

I just remembered, no nuts for R"H. I have to check the recipe, you might be able to use coconut (that's not really a nut, right?) B"LN, I'll post it anyway, as it gets rave reviews.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 6:58 pm
Thank you everybody for your ideas. I went looking for something that I could use for a trifle bowl today, but couldn't find anything. In the end, we're not bringing dessert at all, but raw meat Confused LOL !!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics