Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Warm Chocolate Cake Recipe??

agh

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 1:34 pm
Anyone have a good easy recipe for warm chocolate cake that I can make for friday night. I do not have indivual containers so I have to make one big one

Fabulous

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 1:43 pm
Why can't any chocolate cake just be served warm?

agh

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 2:01 pm
I want that specific recipe that has the gooey choclate running through the middle and cake on outside and it is served warm- with ice cream at the side- yum!

so does anyone have any recipes like this??

sunshine!

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 2:42 pm
Molten Chocolate cakes

INGREDIENTS
1 cup unsalted margarine
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, or bars, cut into bite-size chunks
5 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
4 teaspoons flour (or matzo meal, ground in a blender to a fine powder)
8 extra-large paper muffin cups (or use regular paper muffin cups, which will make 12 cakes)

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter and chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water; remove from heat. Beat eggs, sugar and salt with a hand mixer in a medium bowl until sugar dissolves. Beat egg mixture into chocolate until smooth. Beat in flour or matzo meal until just combined. (Batter can be made a day ahead; return to room temperature an hour or so before baking.)
Before serving dinner, adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a standard-size muffin tin (1/2 cup capacity) with 8 extra-large muffin papers (papers should extend above cups to facilitate removal). Spray muffin papers with vegetable cooking spray. Divide batter among muffin cups.
Bake until batter puffs but center is not set, 8 to 10 minutes. Carefully lift cakes from tin and set on a work surface. Pull papers away from cakes and transfer cakes to dessert plates.

agh

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 3:04 pm
thank you so much! sounds yummy I am going to try it tomorrow

Yamama

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 9:04 pm
I think this old prize winner will fit the bill. When the molten chocolate cakes became popular, my kids said "Mommy -- it's just Chocolate Lush made smaller." It isn't expensive, and it's easy.

Chocolate Lush

(for 9x13 pan)

Make a batter of:

1 1/2 c. flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/8 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
3 Tbsp oil
3/4 cup water
2 tsp. vanilla extract
(3/4 c. chopped nuts, optional)

Spread in 9x13 pan.
Mix together:

1 1/4 c. brown sugar
6 Tbsp cocoa
1 3/4 c. hot water

Pour over batter in pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes. Serve portions upside down, so the hot chocolate sauce will be on top, with ice cream.

OldYoung

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 10:09 pm
Here's a good one- I posted it half a dozen times on this board so forgive me if this is the 6th time you're reading this! It's almost exactly the same as Sunshine's-

Molten Chocolate Surprise

4 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate (I just use the same oz. of chocolate chips)
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup flour
12 CHIPS AHOY! Real Chocolate Chip Cookies (Lieber's makes great substitute- I think they're called Chip's Wow??- perfect size and texture)
Whipped Cream (garnish, I like vanilla ice cream instead)

PREHEAT oven to 425°F.

Melt chocolate and margarine in large pot. Stir with wire whisk until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended. Beat whole eggs, egg yolks, sugar and flour with wire whisk until well blended. Gradually add to chocolate mixture, beating constantly until well blended.

LINE 12 medium muffin cups with paper liners; spray with cooking spray. Place 1 cookie, upside-down, on bottom of each cup; cover evenly with batter.

BAKE 8 min. or until cakes are firm around edges but still soft in centers. Let stand 1 min. Carefully remove cakes from muffin pan. Invert onto dessert dishes (I do this right before serving instead of right after baking); remove paper liners. Serve with whipped topping.

Yamama

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 2:14 am
Agh asked for the molten idea in 1 cake, which probably wouldn't work using the other recipes. Actually this one might not either, but since people are posting the recipe for individual portions, you may as well have the original recipe. I think you can triple the recipe and bake in a muffin tin.

Warm, Soft Chocolate Cake
by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
and Mark Bittman
from Jean-Georges: Cooking at Home
with a Four-Star Chef
( Broadway Books, 1998)
Makes 4 individual cakes

This ambrosial minicake is absolute chocolate in two forms: a warm, molten center surrounded by a tender, protective shell.

Trivia: These cakes were supposedly created when Vongerichten was creating a new dessert recipe and pulled them out of the oven precipitately. When he cut into it one, instead of the dense crumb he expected, a center of molten chocolate oozed out, and a classic was born.

1/2 cup [pareve margarine] unsalted butter, plus more to butter the molds
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons flour, plus more for dusting

Method

1. In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, heat the butter [margarine] and chocolate together until the chocolate is almost completely melted. While that's heating, beat together the eggs, yolks, and sugar with a whisk or electric beater until light and thick.

2. Beat together the melted chocolate and butter; it should be quite warm. Pour in the egg mixture, then quickly beat in the flour, just until combined.

3. Butter and lightly flour four 4-ounce molds, custard cups, or ramekins. Tap out the excess flour, then butter and flour them again. Divide the batter among the molds. (At this point you can refrigerate the desserts until you are ready to eat, for up to several hours; bring them back to room temperature before baking.)

4. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Bake the molds on a tray for 6 to 7 minutes; the center will still be quite soft, but the sides will be set.

5. Invert each mold onto a plate and let sit for about 10 seconds. Unmold by lifting up one corner of the mold; the cake will fall out onto the plate. Serve immediately.

Recipe © 1998 Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Mark Bittman. All rights reserved.

lili

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 4:08 am
how can I make it for friday night when should I bake it and how should I reheat?

MidwestMommy

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 11:57 am
Can this be made in advance? Could I make it on Sunday for both nights of Rosh Hashana? How would that work? If you leave them out too long does the center turn hard?

OldYoung

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 12:02 pm
I make them right before Shabbos. I bake in the muffin tins, then take the cupcakes (still in wrappers) out and put them in a 9x13 pan. I keep them warm with the rest of my Friday night food (in a preheated oven turned off), take the pan out right before serving, peel the cupcake holder off, and serve upside down on a plate next to ice cream. The inside is still warm and mushy.

If you make them in ramekins, you can keep them warm and serve the same way. (Make sure to serve in the ramekins, don't try to dump the cake out and serve! Wink )

If your oven is on on Yom Tov, you can make it right before serving!

MidwestMommy

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 12:53 pm
I don't think I'm going to be leaving my oven on. So... if I made them today, should I just leave them out until I put the rest of my food on for Yom Tov tomorrow night? I don't assume I should put them in the fridge until then......??? Sorry for all the questions- I've just never made this before and I'm a little confused about what I'm doing! Scratching Head

Mommyholic

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 1:23 pm
REALLY QUICK 'N EASY. Keep warm on blech, crock pot or in low oven.
Fantastic Fudge Pie

INGREDIENTS:
• 1 (9 inch) pie shell -try either dough or graham for diff. effects
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
3. In a separate bowl mix together flour and cocoa powder. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Fold in chocolate chips if desired. Pour into pastry shell.
4. Bake in preheated oven for an hour. Serve hot with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics