Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
The post that changed your mind

entropy

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 2:32 pm
(yet another election thread)

I was wondering if there is anyone who has had a cange of heart late in the game, and if so, can you trace back to the event that sparked your change?

My story: I was mostly feeling apathy about the election, thinking both prospects seem equally depressing, but I figured I'd vote Mccain for reasons of loyalty to Israel. A few weks ago I saw a video posted on facebook, mocking Sarah Palin. It made me curious to learn more about Sarah Palin, so I educated myself about her. (All the mockery actually made me sympathetic toward her) When the VP debate came around, I watched it, hoping she wouldn't gaffe too much and harm the Mccain campaign. She did ok, but meanwhile Biden won me over, and by the end of the debate I was leaning towards Obama and curious to learn more. Long story short, I ended up changing my mind and I can trace it to that post on facebook.

Any other swing voters out there?

Last edited by entropy on Sat, Oct 25 2008, 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 4:09 pm
You're not proving me wrong. I didn't say that undecided voters won't decide before the election, or be swayed one way or another. I said I doubted that the partisan here probably wouldn't sway people, and I especially meant those alarmist, hugely negative ones with links to clearly biased websites or those off-the-wall emails. In general, I doubt many women here are undecided yet are open to being pushed to vote for either the Democratic or Republican candidate, if that's not the way they were strongly headed to begin with.

I'll bet if someone says, "I wasn't going to vote but now I'm voting for McCain," will be someone who almost always, if not always, votes Republican.

Quote:
Posted: Thu, Oct 23 2008, 3:50 pm Post subject: Shocking announcement

Nobody is going to change anybody's mind here. Links, copied emails, dramatic rumors, etc., will not change one person's vote. Just wanted to share that, and save everybody some time.

entropy

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 4:31 pm
OK - I changed the title.
Still, I'm interested to hear change-of-heart stories if anyone has any!

octopus

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 4:45 pm
I don't understand why a debate of the VPs would sway your mind? are you looking for the most polished and slick president and vp? It makes me wonder if you are thinking policies and how the potential president would face the world in a time like this.

entropy

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 5:43 pm
Rest assured, I'm thinking policies. Actually, if you saw the debate you'd know that SP was the more polished one.

You'll notice I mentioned above that the only reason I was initially for McCain was the safety of Israel. Watching the debate 1) reminded me that my values are aligned with Obama's platform. 2) Got me to open up to the idea that Obama is committed to Israel's safety. 3) Inspired me to research the various policies discussed.

If I hadn't watched the debate, I may or may not have been inspired by something else to examine the policies in question, but this is how it happened for me.

I'd rather leave the actual politics to the other threads, In this thread I was hoping to discus the personal journey of changing one's vote.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics