Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do you do mitzvaot/halach a certain way b/c of the community
Previous  1  2

Inspired

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 5:38 am
drumjj wrote:
why is it a contradiction to not use a white table cloth and cover her hair?

I don't get it either.

drumjj

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 5:40 am
I was thinking maybe its my pregnancy brain that is just not functioning today. im so bored and tired I cant be bothered doing anything but fed up of not moving and thought maybe my brain was just not understanding. im glad to see its just not me

meirav

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 5:47 am
The whole white tablecloth thing is just a reference to the silly questions people ask in checking references for shidduchim.

Just for the record, I do think some of those questions (like questions about clothing, for example) have a tachlis, because although I don't think less of people for doing certain things or wearing certain things, I may not want my child marrying them. For example, we are Chassidish, and assuming my sonny boy turns out like his father, I wouldn't want him to marry someone whose father wears a knitted kippa, unless the girl is more chareidi than her family. Not because I have issues with knitted kippa wearers, but that is not the type we would be looking for, and the FIL obviously identifies with DL. Ditto for Litvish, Sephardi, MO...

I have all kinds of friends, and love meeting new people, but don't think that for the sake of tolerance you need to marry someone not your type.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 10:13 am
No, we don't do stuff differently because of the community.
I didn't stop covering my hair. My husband didn't stop wearing a white shirt. We still make the kiddush our way, even though I remember we attended a "full shabbes" at the shul and I was sitting, when all the other wives were standing. Etc, etc, etc.

If I lived in a community where tights where needed, I also would not change my ways unless I felt like adding a chumra. Today people come and go. They're from all around Europe, North Africa, Middle East, Israeli. Minhag ha makom in France? please. Only in a few, closed communities where I would never live anyway.

meirav

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 3:07 am
The Rambam writes that people are naturally inclined to follow the actions of people around them, and therefore we should live around good people.

I would think the answer to the question is obvious.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics