Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Giving both attention at the same time

Pineapple

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 11:58 am
How can I give both my kids attention at the same time?

Here are some examples of what I need help with.

DS loves to play with wodden puzzles but needs my help. DD wants my attention when I play with him! How do I give both of them the attention they needwant?

DD wants to dance with me. DS wants help "feeding" his "baby"

Any advice there are many more examples of course

cassandra

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 12:01 pm
I don't have twins, but I have a bunch of kids very close together.

Short answer: everyone has to learn to wait their turn. Nobody in life gets everything the second they want it. Just try not to favor one over the other.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 12:02 pm
Cassandra how can I teach them to wait there only 2 (sorry forgot to mention age earlier)

cassandra

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 12:08 pm
That's the beauty of it. They'll learn it by necessity. Nothing will happen to them even if they get upset by waiting as long as you tend to their needs sooner rather than later. Start off your son with the puzzle, let him figure it out himself a bit, give your daughter some attention, then go back and see what your son needs help with.

If it doesn't work I try to do something with both (all) of them at once-- like play what one kid wants to play but hold the other kid and rub her back while I'm doing it. Just improvise.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 12:20 pm
Do it all at the same time with a laugh, or run from thing to thing. The kids learn that this is the way it is in a family. It's not always ideal, but it's actually very healthy. Try to realy be there during the moments you are there for each kid. Looking each in the eye, patting an arm, making a sincere loving comment - all these quality moments add up. I try to address each kid individually: "Bye "A", have a great day! I love you!" "Bye "B", have a great day! I love you!" etc. etc. etc. Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more