Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Who has the Koach to work at night?

mimivan

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:36 pm
My boss has decided he wants to drive up traffic by encouraging more of us to work at least half a shift during U.S. market hours (4-12...Israel time) I was hoping to work 8-12 my time, but now I'm doing a split shift: 8-1 and 9-12. I fell asleep (AGAIN!) after I put my kids to bed and was late (we check in on our company chat)..

I don't know how I am going to manage because I have absolutely NO KOACH after 9. I've been this way for years. When hours were more flexible, I used to go to bed with the kids some nights and wake up wee hours to work.

How do you ladies who work at home from night after you put the kids to bed manage to have any energy. I feel so finished by that time. I"m nursing so more caffeine isn't the best plan. Any quick energy boosters before working an evening shift after dealing with work earlier in the day and the kids?

cold showers? Ginger tea? Exercise? Any ideas?

(dh is still in school and I am still flying solo through the evening routine. can't afford mother's helper...)

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:37 pm
The thought of a quiet house and the paycheck keeps me going. A shower knocks me out cold, don’t try it!

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:39 pm
I'm up and I'm not een working - well good night!

mimivan

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:39 pm
what a cute baby shaklee ba'h!!

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:40 pm
mimivan wrote:
what a cute baby shaklee ba'h!!
Thanks you! see, I am already convinced.. I’m the mother, you know.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:43 pm
I find that whenever I work at night when I'm already exhausted, everything takes 3x longer.

Maybe try some music. Or every 1/2 an hour walk around your apt to stretch your legs a bit.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:45 pm
Can you take a mid-afternoon nap or sleep in late?

If you must work late, and g-d knows I do it a lot because of my schoolwork, I find caffeine pills, ginger tea and an uncomfortable chair help.

mimivan

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:45 pm
Well..I guess my new schedule may allow me to take a nap in the afternoon. That would certainly help.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:08 pm
Wow, that's amazing.

I try to go to bed around 9p, bc I am up at 4:30a and at work at 6a until 2:30, then "2nd shift mommy" at home with the kids until bedtime at 7:30p...

Actually, I think it's only bc I got more cleaning help and my kids sleep through the night and my baby is 18 mos and I'm not pg....otherwise, I'd be exhausted....and I was until relatively recently.

Yashar koach! I'm sure you'll pull through!

Tova

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:46 pm
I second the afternoon nap! I hope that is feasible for you.

I am currently on maternity leave, b"H, but my work schedule is 9-1 in the office, and an additional 3-4 hours a day from home (that way I don't have to leave my children at a sitter for more than 5 hours max a day). I used to pick up my son from the sitter by 1:30, do some errands/housework, and we'd both lie down for a nap from 3-5. At 5:00 we got up, I fed him dinner, bathtime and got in PJ's. My husband gets home from kollel at 6:45 and would take over and play with my son until 8:00 when he'd go to bed. I meanwhile would work from 7:00-@ 10:30 at which time my husband would be home from night seder/ Ma'ariv and we could finally catch up on our time together uninterrupted!

My schedule has its challenges, but it works for us. Truthfully, I like it better than theoretically being in the office 9-5 but not having to work at home, because I love that afternoon nap! I wake up all energized and refreshed and able to stay up until midnight easily so things got done..

Ima'la

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 5:32 am
I hear ya! Nap, cold shower, exercise (maybe a few jumping jacks before you start), lots of noshies - I know, I know, bad idea...carrot sticks and apple slices???)...

The only other encouragement I can give you is that in proofreading my own work, I have sometimes been pleasantly surprised by the quality of work that I've done in my sleep! (Y'know, when you keep nodding off in the middle and realize that halfway through the sentence you were typing, you started typing out your dream...)

ss321

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 6:41 am
I dont work from home so maybe my advice isnt as helpful, but I have worked many nights (or rather spent nights in school if you want to get technical). My mother is a nurse and I was really overhwhelmed at first, and she gave me lots of tips dating back from when she was forced to do night shifts in nursing school

- first of all- take lots of naps. When your kids are sleeping, go to sleep. dont try to get stuff done. 3 or 4 (cumulative, doesnt need to be straight) hours of sleep during the day will do wonders that night

-cold shower before you start. There have been a few times where I took 3 min cold shower during my shift to keep awake, that would probly be much easier for you from home.

- I drink lots of cofee but thats not an option for you
people say little ten min "catnaps" help but I rarely find they do, I usually just want to sleep more after

-keeping REALLY active. even when things were quiet, Id find a reason to walk around, chart some more, take notes, anything other than sitting and reading, which puts me to sleep.

good luck! It takes a little while to get used to but its not as bad as you think. And if you are working from home, the advantage is, you get more done while your kids are not active. So you dont have little ones running around, and you dont need to give ur baby attn, b/c chances are theyll all b sleeping.

mamacita

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 4:36 pm
I have the opposite problem. After I work my late hours I"m wired and can't get to sleep until obscene hours of the morning. Sad B"H dh gets the kids going in the morning cuz the days I work late and get up with the kids I'd crash in the afternoon making it even harder to go to sleep at night.

sarahzeldman

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 7:52 am
There is an art to powernapping. Too long -- you'll be zonked. Too short -- you won't be rested. Napping the right way can refresh you for 3-4 hours at a time. I blogged about it here: http://www.solutionsforbusymom......html

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 9:18 am
I did for a while. I ate candy to stay awake.

I had FIVE cavities that year !!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers