Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Clean fish tank

Chanie

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 1:30 pm
about 3 months ago, we got a 50 gallon tank and some fish. my biggest dread was cleaning it. The interesting thing is, that the tank is still as clean as the day we filled it up.
We do have a filter in it, however it's the same filter that the person who gave us the tank was using, and their tank was always filthy.
Not that I'm complaining, but would anyone know any reasons why this would be?

Yael

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 2:12 pm
just you wait!! Very Happy
do you remember what I said about cycles? you will know you have reached the first phase when algae starts to grow. I think the first algae is green thin strings floating in the water, then maybe black, red, I dont remember exactly, but the final stage is the green stuff that grows on the walls and plants.

Chanie

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 4:07 pm
how long after you had your tank did you go thru this first "stage" of algae?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 4:24 pm
Snails?

happyone

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 4:58 pm
Do you have an algae eater? Those are the fish that eat algae and keep your tank clean. Also, the light on top of the tank encourages algae to grow. The recommendations by our pet shop is to keep the light off as many hours a day possible.
Hope it continues to stay clean.

elisecohen

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 9:01 pm
The bigger the tank, the easier it is to keep it clean. Our 30 gal is much cleaner than our 10 gallon. You still do need to do partial water changes to keep the fish healthy, though, but you can do them periodically whereas with little tanks you need to do them daily (a big reason I got rid of our 1 and 2 gallon tanks!). If there's no direct sunlight on the tank that helps minimize algae, too.

queen

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 2:18 pm
just on shabbos I was thinking how nice it would be for kids having a BIG fish tank in the family room. when I say big- I mean BIG..... about 8 feet wide. wonder how much they run, anyone know?

I guess I could check the pet store for pricing when I get serious
Smile

Chanie

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 1:25 pm
happyone wrote:
The recommendations by our pet shop is to keep the light off as many hours a day possible.

Thats what I though I remember hearing, but then my husbands friend told him that the fish need the light on for 8 - 12 hours a day. We have it on usually only a couple of hours a day, except shabbos when it's on)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics