Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Father never named the baby!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ChavieK

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:20 am
We name our girls right away.Happens to be that 2 were born on thurs after davening & one on Wed night, but 1st night of Rosh Hashana so she was named on 1st day of Yom Tov. None had a kidush immediately. We wanted family to come.
Now I see a lot of ppl wait- not out of minhag but just in order to make a kidush if the baby is born at the begining of the week.

redhot

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:33 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Brooklyn, it's actually not - only Lub does it. I've asked around.

I am not lubavich and we name at the first Torah reading after the birth.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:35 am
I remember a story being told of someone whose newborn baby, not named yet - before the bris- was ill. they asked the Rebbe for a brocho, and the Rebbe asked for the child's name and mother's name, that is - the name which they intended to give.

So in the case of the OP, where
Quote:
My sister is in her mid-20s, had a Bas Mitzvah ceremony where she was called by the name our mother intended to give her (she is named after a relative on our maternal side), and believes that her Kodesh name is the name that our mother intended to give her.
it is quite likely that this is her name, according to Jewish law. Surely you could consult with a Rav, I just reread your post, and that's what you said you'll do Smile .

So are we right about that OP?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 1:10 pm
My ex was not lub and we named kids at first possible kriah and kiddush was on shabbos - only we forgot about kiddush till 3rd d and made together.

One of my sisters decided that we needed to be named during kriah - so last year - she had her shul do that and made a kiddush. I was happy cause I always wanted to do that + it was shabbos of my bd - it worked for me.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 1:15 pm
I was given my jewish name at the age of 10 by a rabbi, I never had a kiddush and b'h I am married and had no problems with shiduchim.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 1:28 pm
I know Lub. b'shita name at the first possible kriah, and I know other groups who davkeh only name on Shabbos.

For those who name at the first possible kriyah, like Lub., is it done for convenience, or what?

I understand in Lub. it has something to do with the neshoma............

amother

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:09 pm
I was never given a kiddush when I was born...my parents were not so frum at the time and they generally are not into making big deals of anything. At the age of 23 my friends made me a kiddush in shul becuase I complained about it...funny thing...I met my husband two months later. Coincidence...maybe.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:23 pm
speaking of a kiddush at age 23, my sister had her kiddush at around that age too. my sister was in the shidduch parsha and it wasnt going smoothly. somehow it came about that my parents never made her a kiddush at birth. apparently making a kiddush at birth is a segulah for her to find a shidduch. a few months after her kiddush she found her basheret! Very Happy

mumoo

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 8:03 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Shanie and Brooklyn, who else names, b'shitah, at the first Kriah?

my husband named our girls at the first kriah, we had a kiddush the first Shabbos. we're not lubabitch

Like su7kids, when we switched dd's to bais Yakov (fron day school) we were told by Rabbi Fuerst that 3 of our children had 'wrong' names. (long story)

We chose new names (our girls liked choosing their own names) and all dh did was make a misheberach (birth certificates are another story)

smily

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 8:17 pm
I don't get it, I thought that parents name their child and they get Ruach Hakodesh for it. What is this? I know Hebrew school teachers would not exept yiddish names but Rabbis too?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 8:27 pm
My dd was born on a Wed. morning and we named her the next day. We are not Lubavitch.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 7:08 am
Are the posters who name right away part of any specific cirlce? That's my question. Thanks.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 7:20 am
amother wrote:
I was given my jewish name at the age of 10 by a rabbi, I never had a kiddush and b'h I am married and had no problems with shiduchim.

My parents were against "new trends" like baby naming so I was just given my name without any ceremony, and I had no problem either.

happy2beme

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 8:56 am
Not Lubav & we asked our Rav & he said name right away, do not wait for shabbos. yeshivish circles.

but by our boy, we had to wait 8 days Twisted Evil

I don't understand either, what was wrong with the name that it had to be changed????

proudema

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 9:05 am
My family is not lubavitch and my parents also hold very strongly about making a kiddush. There is an inyan there. My sister for some reason never had one as a baby and my parents forgot till a few years ago and they made it for her then. She was around 15 years old at the time.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:49 pm
We hold the naming of a girl should be the 2nd shabbos after birth! Very Happy

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 12:15 am
My oldest was born Shabbat afternoon and was named at Mincha that Shabbat.

My other daughter was born Thursday night and was named at Shacharit on Shabbat.

I'm fairly certain they both had a Seudat Shlishit held in their honor by my parents... at least my oldest, since she is the oldest grandchild on both sides of the family...

I'll have to ask my mom...

red sea

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 5:25 am
mumoo wrote:
[

Like su7kids, when we switched dd's to bais Yakov (fron day school) we were told by Rabbi Fuerst that 3 of our children had 'wrong' names. (long story)

how can a name be wrong?! (if u want to share)

mumoo

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:09 am
Quote:

first the objection was ds was named for female, the mohel said male version of miriam was mayrim (???) He said it's not a name, we made it meir

one dd was named for a male, we made up a name (like meira, josepha, etc), he said to change it

another dd had a yiddish name (russian (?); so do I, btw), he said no

what can you do.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:20 am
mumoo wrote:
Quote:

first the objection was ds was named for female, the mohel said male version of miriam was mayrim (???) He said it's not a name, we made it meir

one dd was named for a male, we made up a name (like meira, josepha, etc), he said to change it

another dd had a yiddish name (russian (?); so do I, btw), he said no

what can you do.

wow! I would have gone to someone else, many accept this type of names!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions