Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
America's Next Top Model - modern orthodox jew contestant
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 15  16  17  Next

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:16 am
saw50st8 wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
I wouldn't eat a piece of pork for $45 million. I think that most observant Jews wouldn't.

I honestly think you are wrong. Especially if its in secret and no one would find out.

Think about how many things we all do wrong on a regular basis. At least you would be paid for it!

I wouldnt, even in secret, because HaShem would still 'find out'. $5 million is not worth it to me to do something I know to be wrong. I would be selling out my ideals, my religion and my credibility to myself. If I do something by accident, or because I am not strong in that area, then it is something I am working on, but to purposely do something I know is wrong and would not do under other circumstances simply for money is disgusting in my eyes.

This is just how I feel about it. Others are welcome to the pork for the cash, if thats what will make them truly happy

louche

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:27 am
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Lift up your shirt? She took off all her clothing and strutted down the runway in her bra and panties!

Is a bra and panties any different than a bikini? I know a lot of girls who would walk around in a bikini.

And almost everyone can be bought for the right price.

can you?

Certainly, though the price may be so high as to be irrelevant. Would you strip down to your underwear to save your child's life? I fervently hope so, and I just as fervently hope that nothing less than saving a life would induce you to do such a thing.

LeahW

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:28 am
saw50st8 wrote:
LeahW wrote:
The only problem here is that if Hashem wanted you to have that 45 mill, He would have given it to you some other way. If He doesn't want you to have it, you won't have it, even if you eat the pork.

I still have to do my hishtadlus LOL

Haha.

I think you're wrong when it comes to eating pork. I don't think most frum Jews would do it. But I can hear what you're saying in that sadly, I do think many, many people would do it if someone told them to speak lashon hara and I'll give you 5 million dollars.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:31 am
Pork? No thanks. Too many of us were forced to eat it on Kippur. Enough said. They can go to h*ll with their pork.

Oh and I like piggies too much to eat them Wink I'm in love with that video, and dream of a piglet on my balcony since then. Dh isn't enthusiastic Wink

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:31 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Lift up your shirt? She took off all her clothing and strutted down the runway in her bra and panties!

Is a bra and panties any different than a bikini? I know a lot of girls who would walk around in a bikini.

can you?

If I'm being honest, probably.

Imagine if someone offered you $45 million dollars to eat a piece of pork. One piece and that's it. You wouldn't have to work or worry about food for the rest of your life. You could make yom tov in a relaxed manner. You could afford cleaning help and not worry about your brakes going and not being able to to fix it. Your wouldn't be upset that your only pair of brown shoes just seperated from the heel (while at work no less!).

How could someone relax for Yom Tov in a relaxed manner after eating pork for money? Y"T is a time to connect to G-d and knowing that He saw would not make me relax, but reather imagine the heat I'd get and the tears He's shed.

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:35 am
LeahW wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
LeahW wrote:
The only problem here is that if Hashem wanted you to have that 45 mill, He would have given it to you some other way. If He doesn't want you to have it, you won't have it, even if you eat the pork.

Haha.

I think you're wrong when it comes to eating pork. I don't think most frum Jews would do it. But I can hear what you're saying in that sadly, I do think many, many people would do it if someone told them to speak lashon hara and I'll give you 5 million dollars.

Yes, you do hear the stories of a "frum"jew being caught after doing something illigal/immoral. But hopefully that was just in the heat of the moment and not deliberatly defying G-d.

Butterfly

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:36 am
saw50st8 wrote:
LeahW wrote:

Yes of course you have to do your hishtadlus.. but your obligation is to do it in a in a KOSHER manner only!!!!!!! LOL

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:54 am
louche wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
chavamom wrote:

can you?

Certainly, though the price may be so high as to be irrelevant. Would you strip down to your underwear to save your child's life? I fervently hope so, and I just as fervently hope that nothing less than saving a life would induce you to do such a thing.

But thats not for a material gain, that is to save a life. You are not sacrificing an ideal for a thing. You are saving a life, while still treasuring the halacha, but realizing that in that situation the child is more important- because G-d said so.

ora_43

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:10 am
For me it's not about how many people can be bought, it's more about how to define those who can.

Let's say you have a frum man with several kids and major debt who would eat the pork for $45 million, or even $45,000. At that stage where he hasn't actually eaten any pork, but would in theory, is he not orthodox?

As for revealing clothing, underwear may be qualitatively different than a bikini for whatever societal reasons but I doubt there's any halachic difference. If girls (or imamothers) who wear swimsuits to mixed beaches are still orthodox, why not this girl?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:13 am
There have been rabbanim allowing/tolerating a modest bathing suit (never heard of about bikini being ok, frankly) at the beach. But never being in underwear in public. We must always be modest by a [gentile] POV. Which includes a bathing suit on the beach, but not at the restaurant or underwear in public.

sky

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:15 am
saw50st8 wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
I wouldn't eat a piece of pork for $45 million. I think that most observant Jews wouldn't.

I honestly think you are wrong. Especially if its in secret and no one would find out.

But Hashem would know. He is the only one who counts Not "anyone else who would find out"

ora_43

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:18 am
Ruchel wrote:
There have been rabbanim allowing/tolerating a modest bathing suit (never heard of about bikini being ok, frankly) at the beach. But never being in underwear in public. We must always be modest by a [gentile] POV. Which includes a bathing suit on the beach, but not at the restaurant or underwear in public.

I can't think of anyone I know, Jewish or not, who thinks a swimsuit on the beach is A-OK but underwear on the catwalk isn't.

It's not like she stripped in the middle of the street, that would be different. She modeled. Models are filmed wearing undergarments all the time, that's their "modest" (if we're getting rid of all objective standards... ).

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:23 am
ora_43 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

I can't think of anyone I know, Jewish or not, who thinks a swimsuit on the beach is A-OK but underwear on the catwalk isn't.

It's not like she stripped in the middle of the street, that would be different. She modeled. Models are filmed wearing undergarments all the time, that's their "modest" (if we're getting rid of all objective standards... ).

I can think of a number of people who wear a bathing suit but don't get why someone would want to be seen in underwear.
Models are not a society.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:26 am
LeahW wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
LeahW wrote:

Haha.

Each person has their thing that you could buy them off with.

I'm not really sure I could eat pork. But I do recognize my morals are flexible at a certain point.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:27 am
ora_43 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Haven't you seen any movies? Girls traipse around in next to nothing, but if a guy walks in on them in their underwear (and even s-xy underwear) they scream LOL.

jaysmom

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:59 am
ChossidMom wrote:

I would love, love, love to be offered that much money to eat a piece of pork. Imagine the zechus of turning something like that down! Olam haba points... chaching baby!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 12:24 pm
Makes me very proud of Dr. Andrew Gordon.

louche

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 1:27 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Makes me very proud of Dr. Andrew Gordon.

who he?

Butterfly

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 1:33 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Pork? No thanks. Too many of us were forced to eat it on Kippur. Enough said. They can go to h*ll with their pork.

Oh and I like piggies too much to eat them Wink I'm in love with that video, and dream of a piglet on my balcony since then. Dh isn't enthusiastic Wink

I so adore baby animals. Their actions are soooo cute.. Tongue Out

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 1:56 pm
Mmmm that inspires a new thread Smile
Page 4 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics