Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Would you pay a membership fee here?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Would you pay a membership fee here?
YES  
 33%  [ 40 ]
NO  
 66%  [ 79 ]
Total Votes : 119

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:33 pm
Come on all you big talkers , click the donate button on the left side of your screen, you dont have to wait to be forced, do you? Go donate what you think is reasonable.

Fact remains plenty of active posters who very much appreciate Yael's hard work will still leave if its not free.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:36 pm
I'm sorry? Where's that "donate" button?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:40 pm
It's along the upper left hand side of the screen. Near the online advice button.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:43 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
I know that money doesn't grow on trees and I also don't have an excess of it, but I have a very hard time when I hear people say - Give me something for nothing! I am not proud to be in the company of so many suckers, excuse me! Anybody who afforded to buy/own their computer 'should' afford to pay a few measly dollars a year to upkeep that which they hold so near and dear - Imamother!!
It is not about Yael expecting it from us; it is about us wanting to give it to Yael for the wonderful service she is providing us!
And, for those who keep writing about voluntary donations on this site - forget about it! It doesn't happen. A while back Yael asked people to sponsor months; I sponsored my birthday month - I was the only one!!! Nobody ever did it again. So, unfortunately, in this world, voluntary donations are not very voluntary.
C'mon imas! Where is your shame? Can we only be takers? How about giving something back!!?!

Downs, I usually love your posts, but this time you upset me. I think 'a few measly dollars' means different things to different people. For one it's the difference between buying a new lipstick or not; for others it's buying milk for their children.

And just because someone doesn't have the money for imamother membership doesn't mean they're a taker. Maybe they're doing all kinds of chessed whether within their own family or within their community in another capacity. There are posters who have said they don't have the money to give who, I know from other posts of theirs, are doing incredible chessed with their own children and are not takers at all.

There are also couples who may have the money but it might cause shalom bayis problems or the husband may refuse. There are couples where the wife has to account for every penny and her husband may not appreciate it that 'his' money is going to some website, whereas the wife may feel she really needs it.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:47 pm
shalhevet wrote:
for others it's buying milk for their children.

You spend $3-5 a year on milk?

I happen to agree, though, that the membership fee shouldn't be mandatory for a number of reasons.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:48 pm
Maybe those with more money could sponsor those with less money for the privilege of being able to moderate the person's posts.

red sea

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:50 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Maybe those with more money could sponsor those with less money for the privilege of being able to moderate the person's posts.

How degrading would that be?!

If Yael decides to make it a mandatory fee all those who cant or wont pay will find entertainment elsewhere.

Its too sticky to have a whole system of fees.

You can give status with a thingy to supporting members or have everyone pay or noone pay.

Or have someone come up with or implement a different way entirely to make the site self supporting.

Last edited by red sea on Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:52 pm
I like the perk idea too, GramaNewYork. I was thinking along the same lines, but couldn't come up with any perks. Here is one though: bigger PM box?

I like the idea for the site being closed as well, but in reality, how much do you think will be raised? If we're trying to get a year's worth of $, can we really expect $25K (at least!) to be raised? I think that's an enormous amount for a small community like ours. It's not even tax-deductible, I don't think Wink

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:53 pm
I never get any pm's Smile

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:55 pm
I don’t run in a fancy crowd at all – most of my friends don’t own homes, and many of them don’t give gifts for wedding, bar mitzvas, etc. But when it comes to Chinese auctions, paying for shiurim, sponsoring kiddushim, etc., they’re there. People have mayser money to give, and if they have any “left” after paying tuition, I see it can go worthy places . . .

For those that can’t afford it, I don’t think it’s a question.

For those who would just cut down on coffees out, etc., I think it’s no brainer. And for those who have mayser left, or for ppl who want to make donations – so in addition to giving to Hachnases Kallah, Bikur Cholim, etc., they can give here.

If someone says Yizkor, they are supposed to give tzedekeh to follow it up. If someone has a simcha, they are supposed to thank the Aibisher. I’m saying to ADD Imamtoehr, not take away money from other mosdos.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:04 pm
Crayon210 wrote:

I am shocked!!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:05 pm
A lot of us would pay and we do use the site often but our husband's would not allow us to, they don't even understand why we are on in the first place. The point of this is to have a place for woman to go to not to be exclusive.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:07 pm
I'm sure that Crayon was just being silly.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:07 pm
Now you see why paying/ non paying member differences will cause problems of superiority/inferiority.....

Again, if it is ok for EVERYONE, it is ok for me. But think hard if it is the "atmosphere" we want and need.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:09 pm
DefyGravity wrote:

oh good! b'h

red sea

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:11 pm
DefyGravity wrote:

(choice few words) hope so

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:13 pm
Shalhevet, I appreciate your initial compliment.
That being said I still maintain what I wrote. Please, nobody goes to the poorhouse from several dollars a YEAR! The electricity that it costs to run a computer is a lot more than annual membership fees would be.
I am not trying to be self-righteous, but if I'd be in such a predicament (and it would truly be so dire) then I'd say, 'Well, I cannot afford to pay so I will not take advantage of the services that are being provided here.' By saying this I am not trying to tell those imas that don't want to pay - okay, get lost! - on the contrary, I am trying to bring to their attention how utterly selfish and ungrateful they sound when they say: I won't pay but I want imamother! Think about it.

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:17 pm
downsyndrome, that's not fair to say to people who live in Israel. One of our dollars is four of theirs.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:22 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
Please, nobody goes to the poorhouse from several dollars a YEAR!.

For those already in the poorhouse even a few $ can be out of reach. And if it were to be a membership fee, it would be sad for them to lose this site because they do appreciate it so much.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:56 pm
not reading the entire thread here (4 pages in one day...too long for me -s orry)
just a reminder: for those who don't midn a fee, how about donating a few dollars via the "donate" link on the left of the website?? at least it's something for now!
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics