Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Would you pay a membership fee here?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Would you pay a membership fee here?
YES  
 33%  [ 40 ]
NO  
 66%  [ 79 ]
Total Votes : 119

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:37 am
What's your opinion?
Yael wrote:
.........I am relying on you, our members, to help us make Imamother into an income producing website, so that we can make it better for you.......I am looking forward to finding a solution together.
Letsbehonest here,
Being that advertisers here don't feel they're increasing sales as a result of being here (possibly because we like to buy what we see, unless we're buying appliances and the like), there ought to be a memership fee. If you come up with a yearly budget and divide that by members (some of which might not want to stay if they have to pay) that might solve your problem.

Many of us definitely WOULD pay a membership fee, if it's affordable.

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:39 am
I'm all for it except if it makes others uncomfortable.

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:41 am
Wow! This was certainly a vote of confidence for me - I got 100%! I cast the first vote (in favor of a fee) and the poll showed the 100% of the people voted 'yes'!

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:41 am
There should be a maybe possiblity.

YOu cannot just stam say yes, when you do not knwo if u can afford the fee in the first place.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:44 am
can't give what I don't have ... what about the others in the same boat ... we would feel left out

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:47 am
Greenfire, did you see my post on the other thread about imamother's situation? I suggested a minimal fee of around $3.00 per member. There are more than 2,000 members KA"H already. That would mean $6,000 for imamother!, yet not make such a financial dent in individual member's pockets. What you say?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:48 am
It depends how high it would be....

Are we talking about $20 a year?
or more like $100 a year? etc...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:58 am
We discussed this last year, remember? Even a few dollars was too much for ppl.

realeez

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:59 am
downsyndrome wrote:
Greenfire, did you see my post on the other thread about Imamother's situation? I suggested a minimal fee of around $3.00 per member. There are more than 2,000 members KA"H already. That would mean $6,000 for Imamother!, yet not make such a financial dent in individual member's pockets. What you say?

But $6000 isn't going to enable Yael's dh to quit his job and devote all his time to imamother. Also, considering how a large percentage of the 2,000 members have never posted, why would they pay?

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:03 pm
some people might not like this idea, because money is not easy for some people, youd be suprised but even $3 can be hard for some. and lets say there are people who can pay and those who cant will feel horrible about it and will feel like they dont belong here and this might turn people off from the site. money is a very sensetive issue for a lot of people, so if someone cant pay they wont come, and you might lose people from the site. there has to be a different way to make money and support this site, withhumor had very good ideas and with her spunkiness she can come up with a lot of ways to help out, I would trust her with this.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:08 pm
hey downy ... if you were in my boat you would understand ... obviously you're not ... thank Hashem ... if I had $3 I would probably be less apprehensive to buy tampons for my daughter ... and quit the site

Marion

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:11 pm
And how would it be paid? And it what currency? And how would you adjust for exchange rates?

bluesclues

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:14 pm
I would

Basya

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:16 pm
What about - let there be a fee- and if one feels that they cannot manage it- they can pm yael at that time and tell her that they cant afford it etc. and she would let them on. So this way everyone is on and most people pay and the others can still be on. - Its better than no membership fee at all.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:19 pm
The DSL portion of any phone bill is about $40 per month and is optional for those who want internet. I don't know what dial up costs. How do those who cannot afford necessities afford DSL? (That could also be said about cell phones, cable TV, video rental, etc.) My generation grew up without computers so we know what it is like to live without it.

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:26 pm
How about if those that CAN afford it, make donations, sponsorships?

Then there's another question, if Yael doesn't get more money coming in, will she close the site, or simplify it in some way and still run it?

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:33 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The DSL portion of any phone bill is about $40 per month and is optional for those who want internet. I don't know what dial up costs. How do those who cannot afford necessities afford DSL? (That could also be said about cell phones, cable TV, video rental, etc.) My generation grew up without computers so we know what it is like to live without it.

find a better deal ... you can get it as low as 9 - 14 depending on what else you have ...

I got dsl for my dd who was doing virtualschool ... it became a necessity ... so one never really knows ... do they ... people assume everyone has a cell phone or cable or whatever luxury ... for some people some of these things may be a necessity ... and some of us take water for granted ... what can I say

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:36 pm
Ask for voluntary donations. That way those who can and want to pay will, those who can't or dont want to pay won't. No-one is made to uncomfortable and Yael gets more dollars than she would if she didn't ask! Idea

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:40 pm
mommyabc123 wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:
Greenfire, did you see my post on the other thread about Imamother's situation? I suggested a minimal fee of around $3.00 per member. There are more than 2,000 members KA"H already. That would mean $6,000 for Imamother!, yet not make such a financial dent in individual member's pockets. What you say?

But $6000 isn't going to enable Yael's dh to quit his job and devote all his time to Imamother. Also, considering how a large percentage of the 2,000 members have never posted, why would they pay?

Plus, there aren't nearly 2,000 active members.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:40 pm
Basya wrote:
What about - let there be a fee- and if one feels that they cannot manage it- they can pm Yael at that time and tell her that they cant afford it etc. and she would let them on. So this way everyone is on and most people pay and the others can still be on. - Its better than no membership fee at all.

I think some find it embarassing enough when they have to go to yeshivas to ask for tuition reduction or groceries and ask for credit. I don't think that these people should have to go through that to be on this site. If those that can afford to want they can send annonymous donations to yael for site maintenence.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics