Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Gluten Free Challah Recipe
Previous  1  2

anon

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 11:45 pm
ArthurDent wrote:
I tried this new recipe for the first time last week and I loved it! I think I'll try it again this week, only try to dilute the oat flour with a bit of rice flour. The challahs, as is, were fluffy and delicious.

Ingredients: Needs to be prepared in a bread maker
1 2/3 cups of very warm water
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vinegar
10 squirts honey (I used agave syrup)
1 ½ tsb salt
4 eggs plus 1 white
½ cup sugar
3 ¾ cup oat flour (I've also successfully diluted/substituted part of this with 3/4 cup of brown rice flour; since oat flour is so expensive)
3 tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbs yeast

Directions:

Follow directions for your bread maker when adding ingredients. Some models require dry ingredients be put in first while others require liquids.
Select dough only mode. When finished dough can be placed in any size or shaped pan. Use extra egg yolk and pastry brush to coat the top of challah, add poppy seeds if desired.
Bake at 375 for approximately 20 minutes (depending on size of pan) or until bottom brown.

I'd like to try making this for my daughter. Do you have any suggestions for this recipe since you last posted it? Does it taste better with or without rice flour? How would you compare it to regular challah?

My daughter is temporarily off wheat and spelt and she LOVES challah...I must find a good substitue for her or she'll be hysterical at the shabbas meal (she's 18 months, lol).

ArthurDent

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 1:16 pm
anon wrote:
I'd like to try making this for my daughter. Do you have any suggestions for this recipe since you last posted it? Does it taste better with or without rice flour? How would you compare it to regular challah?

My daughter is temporarily off wheat and spelt and she LOVES challah...I must find a good substitue for her or she'll be hysterical at the shabbas meal (she's 18 months, lol).

I do this recipe with 3 cups of oat flour and 3/4 cups of brown rice flour. It is fabulous with or without the rice flour! But I prefer it with the rice flour since it makes it a little less dense. I also occasionally sprinkle sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and sunflower seeds on top. Delicious! I also found that when I put it into little oval aluminum tins for challah, that it comes out more moist than in the muffin cups. But the muffin cups are more convenient since we don't eat that much challah and we need lechem mishnah for 3 meals and the muffins allow me to bake challos every other week instead of every week. I just freeze the extras and defrost before using.

Also, this challah was soooo delicious with honey drizzled on it for Rosh Hashanah. You'll want to do it all the time. Finally, you really must warm it up before eating. It's not so good at room temperature. And pretty bad when it's right out of the refrigerator.

It really doesn't compare to regular bread. But if you've had lots of different gluten-free breads, you'll find that none of it really compares to regular bread or challah. But it's pretty good for a wheat-free bread.

Sorry about the late reply. I hope this helps.

anon for this

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 1:19 pm
Where do you buy the oat flour?

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 9:01 pm
sorry I'm late coming in, but if you are making oat challah-- buy in bulk. AMAZON is the cheapest.

joyofkosher

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:14 pm
Here is another option for a gluten free challah

http://www.joyofkosher.com/Rec.....0663A

She says that based on these amounts it is a good Hamotzei challah, some don't have enough oat flour to qualify.

skazm

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 9:42 pm
hey I made GF oat flour (basically) by grinding up the steel cut oats from Arrowhead Mills... still pricey though

skazm

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 9:43 pm
cbsmommy wrote:
sorry I'm late coming in, but if you are making oat challah-- buy in bulk. AMAZON is the cheapest.

oo thanks

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 9:59 pm
So apparently I'm grandfathered in at the lower price, but currently Amazon wants 19.12 for a 4 pack of oat flour (free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red.....r=8-1

tikva18

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:07 pm
Does anyone have a decent bread recipe that does NOT contain oats? my kids can't tolerate oats.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:24 pm
I just found this: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/G.....ezaar

Haven't tried it though since I'm looking for eggless as well.

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:41 pm
tikva18 wrote:
Does anyone have a decent bread recipe that does NOT contain oats? my kids can't tolerate oats.

Rivka,

We LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the following recipe. We use it as sandwhich bread (as opposed to challah). My toddler asks for it every morning for breakfast without fail. I tend to make 2 loaves at a time, slice when cool, and freeze. This bread stores beautifully in the freezer. On the rare occasions when I make and don't freeze it stays nice for two days wrapped on the counter. It might stay nicer longer than two days, but there is never any bread left to test 'quality' on.

Oh, and my gluten eating siblings DEVOUR this stuff when they come over.

GLUTEN FREE MILLET BREAD RECIPE

1 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup quinoa flour

3/4 cup millet flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/3 cup potato starch (Can substitute corn or arrowstarch if you need too)

1/3 cup sweet rice flour

1/4 flax seed meal

1 Tablespoon xanthan gum

3 eggs

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 packet active dry yeast+ 1 tsp granulated sugar for proofing yeast

1 Tablespoon molasses

3 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

4 Tablespoons margarine, melted

1/4 cup plus 1 cup heated water (I heated my water to 120 degrees to proof the yeast)

DIRECTIONS:

Grease the bottom of a 10 inch loaf pan or two 8 inch pans. Heat the oven to 200 degrees and then turn off. In the bowl of your stand mixer sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate medium bowl, mix eggs, molasses, vinegar, and melted butter together. In a small prep bowl, stir together your active dry yeast and one teaspoon of sugar. Add 1/4 cup of the heated water to the yeast mixture. Let the yeast sit for 10 minutes. It should be foamy and active! If not, start over with another packet of yeast. Once your yeast is ready, add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Then add the yeast mixture. Then slowly add your water (should still be warm) to achieve the right consistency in your batter. The dough should be like very stiff cake batter. I beat my dough on high for about 15 minutes in my stand mixer. If you accidentally add too much water simply add a little rice flour until you achieve the dough consistency you are after. Put the dough in your prepared pan and place in oven to rise for about 1 – 1 1/2 hours. You can put plastic wrap or a towel over the pan. Once the dough has risen to the top of the pan, bake the bread for 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until internal temperature reaches 190 degrees.

bitachon111

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 9:04 am
The Gluten Free Shoppe in Borough Park has shipping anywhere:

www.theglutenfreeshoppe.com

hatzlacha!

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 7:43 pm
BUMP
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads