Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Covering dining room chairs with clear vinyl

cranberry

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 9:49 pm
I want to cover my fabric dining room chairs with clear vinyl slipcovers. I need to cover the whole thing. There's no wood on these chairs, just fabric.

I was at Walmart today and saw that they sell clear vinyl in their fabric section. The thing is they have two or three different types. The lighter one is cheaper and will be much easier to work with, but I don't know if it will hold up to kids "sitting" on chairs. The heavier one is much stiffer, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to make it look nice.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to go through all this work and then have the vinyl rip.

OldYoung

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 10:25 pm
We reupholstered the seats of our dining room chairs ourselves and ended up going with the thinner vinyl/plastic. I don't know if you're trying to do the same thing, but the thinner is much better to work with and definitely holds up nicely. If you go to a fabric store, they can actually assist and recommend a number/thickness to use. If you get one that's too thick, you'll have a very hard time folding it around the corners.

rainbow

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 1:09 am
I second the thinner one. Can you get a half yard of each and try them both? Each chair needs about half a yard.

cranberry

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:34 am
I'd like to use the thinner one. I can't imagine getting the thicker one to fold nicely. But I have to do more than the seats. The whole chair is fabric. I want to basically make slipcovers that cover the back and the seat, and the legs will just have to fend for themselves. Do you think the thinner vinyl will hold up to the abuse that kids will give it? I don't want to have to be the chair police.

Also, is there a special kind of thread that I use, or some other type of binding, or can I just use regular thread? I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do this. Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:28 am
We have discussed this before, in detail. Do a search.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics