Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Health and Diet tips

proudmom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 5:02 am
Choose your condiments wisely.
Ketchup and mustard are low-calorie, low-fat, full-flavor extras with just 15 calories per tablespoon. However, these condiments are high in sodium with 15 to 180 milligrams per tablespoon. Make your own sodium-free mustard by mixing mustard powder with water, vinegar or milk. If you’d like to spice up your meals, mix in some fiery hot Japanese wasabi mustard.

Regular physical activity can help you lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol levels. Even moderate-intensity activity can provide benefits, if done for 30 minutes most days of the week. Try brisk walking, bicycling or gardening. Consult your doctor before beginning any new diet or exercise program, especially if you have any health problems or if you’re over 50 and not used to energetic activity.

Enjoy tomatoes for flavor and good nutrition. They contain lycopene, an antioxidant that protects against disease. Use ripe, red tomatoes for the best flavor; they should be firm, but give slightly to gentle palm pressure. To peel, submerge tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds. Then plunge into cold water, drain and slip off skins.

Make two meals out of one. Portion size is one of the leading factors of obesity. Most people only need 3 to 4 ounces of meat or fish per meal. Restaurants typically serve 10 to 16 ounces, more than three times what you need. For your health -- and your pocketbook -- share your meal or take half home. Ask the waiter to serve half your meal and put the leftovers in a take-home box.

1stimer

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 2:46 am
In lots of recipes chicken broth can be substituted for oil (have not tried this in baking yet but works great in cooking e.g. kishka)

supermom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 3:44 am
in baking applesauce works great and heathier too. the result moist soft baking goods. And you will never taste the differents. When it comes to margraine and butter in baking if it for example asks for two butters use only one or one and half it doesn't make a big difference either.

coffee

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 12:31 am
a good diet tip for snackers. make a batch of freshpopcorn over the stove. pam the pot, put two table spoons of kernels. when popped I put splena and salt which creates kettle corn. it will make about five cups and will take a while to eat resulting in only 100 calories. enjoy

queen

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 6:10 am
With duncan heins cakes, you can substitue apple sauce for oil.
(never tried this with other recipes/cakes)

supermom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 6:39 am
my mother in law tried to substitute applesauce with the oil and it never came out as good as the ducen hines mixes come out with the substitution I wonder why?

what is splena?

queen

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 6:45 am
supermom wrote:
what is splena?

do you mean SPLENDA?
a sugar substitue w/o all the calories.
Supposably, it's made from sugar, and therefore "more healthy" than other sweet and low sweetners on the market.

supermom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 6:52 am
I know what splenda is but she wrote splena and it is suppose to make the popcorn taste or look like kettle corn.

coffee

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 8:14 am
sorry for the confusion, I meant splenda. enjoy

supermom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 8:29 am
why would you add sugar in your popcorn in the first place?

coffee

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 8:36 am
because natural popcorn has no flavor and I happen to like food very flavorful. its taste.

RivkaS

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 8:58 am
If somebody needs a sugar substitue, I can recommend "Fructose" or "Fructosa" whatever American English is. In Israel the best brand - without bitter after-taste - is "marshal", available in healthshops, prices from 10 - 13 NIS.
And for baking you will need only half of the amount of regular sugar, it is very sweet.
Rivka
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise