Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Rochester, NY
Previous  1  2

NativeMom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:37 am
My parents stayed at the Strathellen when they were looking for a house. It's affiliated with the University and it's about 1/2 a block from Ora Academy (the girls school) and they said it was ok. It's definitely the closest place to stay. There is a hotel , I believe its a Holiday Inn on Monroe Ave closer to Wegmans-I dunno if you're familiar with the area. It's not near the shuls.

My husband brings Cholov yisroel Cheese etc from Brooklyn whenever I need it because he commutes a lot. I haven't seen anything I really like at Lipmans-non of the basic stuff I like to get. I've seen other pas Yisroel items at Wegmans like cakes etc aside from the challah.

As far as things to do theres a great childrens museum (Strong Museum of Play) that we go to a lot. There's the Rochester Museum and Science Center which has some activities for kids.

Please feel free to PM me

NativeMom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:55 am
Raisin wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
Lefty wrote:
What's there to do in Rochester?? Never heard anyone vacatoining there.

Family simcha.

I think niagara falls is not too far away if you are in the area.
It's about 90 min away, not a bad drive at all.

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:09 pm
Quote:
ETA: I see that Pobody's Nerfect (love your name Wink ) posted abt the restaurant in the Chabad House. Sorry for missing that! I wonder if I met you when I went to Rochester - I was at little get together there of ladies reading Tziporah Heller's book and discussing it!

hmm I do go to that chaburah every week, but I don't remember there ever being a guest there. could be it while I was recuperating from having my baby that you came.

realeez

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:37 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
Quote:
ETA: I see that Pobody's Nerfect (love your name Wink ) posted abt the restaurant in the Chabad House. Sorry for missing that! I wonder if I met you when I went to Rochester - I was at little get together there of ladies reading Tziporah Heller's book and discussing it!

hmm I do go to that chaburah every week, but I don't remember there ever being a guest there. could be it while I was recuperating from having my baby that you came.

I was there at the end of August if that helps (I was very pregnant at the time Very Happy)

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 1:21 pm
realeez wrote:
I was there at the end of August if that helps (I was very pregnant at the time Very Happy)

I had my baby at the end of september. it's possible I just missed the week you were there, or I don't remember! I only started coming in the beginning of august when I moved to roch. may I ask whose guest you were?

realeez

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 1:43 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
realeez wrote:

I had my baby at the end of september. it's possible I just missed the week you were there, or I don't remember! I only started coming in the beginning of august when I moved to roch. may I ask whose guest you were?

Her initials are MW (you can PM me for more info Wink).

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 1:50 pm
I once knew a few people - now I hear they're in rochester ... life changes - times change - people change ...

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 2:51 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
hello wrote:
Jewish Home of Rochester Cafeteria we ate here its a home but the food is not bad. (if you want you can contact the local Rabbi & find out exactly whats kosher on the shamash list).
Speak to the local rav about eating there; it's not somewhere everyone will eat at.

Yes, I even saw on shamash.com that it says they can't guarantee glatt meat -- just with that we wouldn't eat there.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 2:56 pm
NativeMom wrote:
My parents stayed at the Strathellen when they were looking for a house. It's affiliated with the University and it's about 1/2 a block from Ora Academy (the girls school) and they said it was ok. It's definitely the closest place to stay. There is a hotel , I believe its a Holiday Inn on Monroe Ave closer to Wegmans-I dunno if you're familiar with the area. It's not near the shuls.

My husband brings Cholov yisroel Cheese etc from Brooklyn whenever I need it because he commutes a lot. I haven't seen anything I really like at Lipmans-non of the basic stuff I like to get. I've seen other pas Yisroel items at Wegmans like cakes etc aside from the challah.

As far as things to do theres a great childrens museum (Strong Museum of Play) that we go to a lot. There's the Rochester Museum and Science Center which has some activities for kids.

Please feel free to PM me

Thank you. We did also check out the Holiday Inn on Monroe, but they don't have connecting rooms (we need at least 4 sets of them). I think we've settled on the Rochester Plaza Hotel & Convention Center downtown -- doesn't exactly seem elegant, but better than the Strathellen (price is better too) and they are extremely accommodating. We also figure that if we're not going to be walking places, it won't matter much if we have to drive 10-15 minutes.

rochestermom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 6:35 pm
There is a place to get pizza and milchig sandwichs -all cholov yisroel. It's called Eli's @ Chabad and it is in the chabad center on Winton Rd. There is also a bakery called Maleks that is all pas yisroel but their milchig items aren't cholov yisroel. You can get kosher grocery items at the wegmans supermarket in Pittsford.

solo

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 7:01 pm
ive been in rochester several times.
was there just last week.
we stayed at the marriot rochester airport. it was nice and aprox. 10 min drive from two shuls.
was told bout the chabad pizza shop but havent eaten there.
it is incredibly cold.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 9:25 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
hello wrote:
Jewish Home of Rochester Cafeteria we ate here its a home but the food is not bad. (if you want you can contact the local Rabbi & find out exactly whats kosher on the shamash list).
Speak to the local rav about eating there; it's not somewhere everyone will eat at.

Yes, I even saw on shamash.com that it says they can't guarantee glatt meat -- just with that we wouldn't eat there.

Yup Sad
My father grew up in Rochester, and due to insurance reasons, his mother can't leave and the kashrus issue is a very sore point in my family Sad

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 3:04 pm
Rochester moms --

Now I need the name of a good florist in Rochester. If there's one the frum community there usually deals with that would be best.

I'll need to send someone flowers regarding this simcha in a few weeks and want to be sure to line up the florist.

Thanks.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 8:37 pm
How far is The Strathallan Rochester by Double Tree from the shul or Yeshiva? We will be going for Shabbos.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:21 pm
That's about a mile from the yeshiva (maybe 2 from the shuls?), but it is way outside of the eruv - the yeshiva is too, so women don't really go much Smile

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:46 pm
Is it walkable on shabbos? Is there a minyan on Shabbos in the summer there?

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 11:57 pm
There is a minyan in the yeshiva until brain hazemanim starts. After that it joins up with the Brighton yeshiva alumni minyan. If you want to be hosted for shabbos I can definitely help set you up!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 9:12 am
In don't know if my husband will be comfortable being hosted but thanx for the offer. I was wondering is the Comfort Inn or Holiday Express walking distance to a shul. We don't need an eruv.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics