Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Lisp-Sigmatism need information and suggestions

neverbored

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 9:57 pm
So my 6 year old daughter lisps. She happens to be adorably cute (mother talking here) and the lisp fits into her personality so well now. Fortunately, she is growing up and it will not serve her well in the future.
What services should I apply for? What are the costs if any?
My insurance pays for 10 speech therapy sessions per year but I will have to pay a $40 co-pay per session which currently my budget cannot afford and I feel that 10 session might not be enough.
What at home exercises did you do to correct this speech impediment? Anything else that helped will be appreciated.

pina colada

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 10:40 pm
Have her evaluated at the board of ed.

neverbored

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 10:55 pm
not yet! I'm dreading that parshah. Did it with an older daughter for unrelated therapy and I am still not done fighting for therapy.

pina colada

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 10:58 pm
Even if she's not eligible the ST evaluator (if she's good) will be able to give you tips and exercises or guide you where to go for therapy.

bnm

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 2:22 am
10 sessions can be a major help if the kid is mature and does the exercises. don't wait till it becomes too embracing for her to open her mouth.

(I had a lisp and had therapy for it)

Seraph

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:10 am
I had a lisp as well.
One tip-
Have her close her teeth and then try to make an S sound. I remember in speech therapy in school that was what we did. And we did a lot of practice with that, reading sentences that were filled with S's and Z's.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:17 am
double post

Last edited by Seraph on Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total

bnm

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:18 am
Seraph wrote:
I had a lisp as well.
One tip-
Have her close her teeth and then try to make an S sound. I remember in speech therapy in school that was what we did. And we did a lot of practice with that, reading sentences that were filled with S's and Z's.

tongue has to be in the proper position. have her look in a mirror so she can visibly see where here tongue is when she makes the proper sounds

Seraph

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:20 am
bnm wrote:
Seraph wrote:
I had a lisp as well.
One tip-

tongue has to be in the proper position. have her look in a mirror so she can visibly see where here tongue is when she makes the proper sounds
Right. Her tongue should be touching the bottom of her mouth, right behind her front teeth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics