Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Recipe for london broil

happysmile

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:59 pm
hi,
does anyone have a easy and good recipe for london broil?

thanks

MrsMom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 7:36 pm
London broil is as easy as can be. I marinade it with a little vineg and marinades of my choice over night, and I put it under a broiler for about 15 minutes per side. This is with a small/medium peice and I like mine red in the middle.

Garden-Gnome

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:37 pm
London broil is not a cut of meat, it's a cooking style.
If you want to london broil your meat such as minute steak, flavor it or marinate it and broil it for 10 minutes per side. The time depends on how thick your steak is cut.
If you are dealing with a larger piece/part of a beef-blade roast, the crockpot is wonderful. You can put it in with carrots, red & green peppers, onion and celery and a can of tomato sauce and water. Flavor with pepper, salt, oregano and garlic. Alternatively, try roasting in the oven with a lot of liquid to make the meat tender.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:43 pm
I buy London broil all the time, it is a cut of meat, it has a thin layer of fat through the middle of it.

Garden-Gnome

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 9:51 pm
The following is from wikipedia, London broil is NOT a cut of meat. It is any cut designed to be cooked in that fashion.

Quote:
Although many American butchers will label a cut of meat "London broil", the term does not refer to a specific cut. The cut of meat traditionally used is flank steak, but top round roast/steak is also commonly used. Because the muscle fibers run the entire length of these cuts, the meat can be tough if not tenderized via pounding or massaging. Scoring, stabbing, cutting, penetrating, or otherwise mutilating the cut before sending it into the broiler results in a tougher finished product as it allows all the desirable juices to run out of the meat into the pan.

The preparation of London broil typically involves marinating the meat for several hours followed by heating in an oven broiler or outdoor grill. In both heating methods the meat is placed approximately three inches from a direct heat source and turned several times to promote even cooking and avoid burning. It is commonly served in thin slices, cut across the grain.

In Canada a ground meat patty wrapped in flank or round steak is known as a London broil. Some butchers will wrap the flank steak around a concoction of seasoned and ground or tenderized flank steak (Zehrs Grocers in the GTA). Others sell a pork sausage patty wrapped in flank or top round steak labeled as London broil (Goeman's Lakeshore Meats in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada). The website for Goeman's[1] differentiates between Canadian London broil (the sausage patties wrapped in Top Round Steak) and American London broil (Top Round Steak). Another variant, popularized in Ontario, is a London broil "loaf", wherein the tenderized flank steak exterior is wrapped around minced and spiced veal as the filler. In some regions, bacon will be added between the flank steak and the veal grind.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:20 pm
Garden-Gnome, the Kosher terms for cuts of meat are not always by the book LOL
And butchers in NY all carry a "cut" of meat, called London broil.

Motheroftwins

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:36 pm
I heard of a really good recipe with pineapple juice and soy sauce with a little garlic. But don't know measurements....anyone heard of this recipe for london broil??

Motheroftwins

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:39 pm
Motheroftwins wrote:
I heard of a really good recipe with pineapple juice and soy sauce with a little garlic. But don't know measurements....anyone heard of this recipe for london broil??

ok, so the recipe is equal parts pineapple juice and soy sauce. no garlic. supposed to be heaven. if anyone makes this let me know, I want to try it for purim...

YoMom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 8:16 pm
Everyone I've shared this w/ loves it, but it is heavy on the soy sauce and garlic (rosemary can be strong too), so don't try it if you don't like bold flavors...the guys love it, though, it's like steak.....

Grilled London Broil w/ Rosemary

- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 T dried rosemary
- 1 T black pepper
- 3/4 T salt

Score the meat on both sides diagonally ( small, diagonal cuts on either side, forming a diamond pattern - don't go too deep, just enough to let the marinade seep in). Marinate steak for a few hours and broil steak for 10 minutes on each side (or longer, depending on the thickness of the meat) Slice and serve!

NativeMom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 9:39 pm
I made the grilled london broil with rosemary this past shabbos and it was FINISHED friday night. It's a great recipe Smile

saw50st8

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 8:15 pm
YoMom wrote:
Everyone I've shared this w/ loves it, but it is heavy on the soy sauce and garlic (rosemary can be strong too), so don't try it if you don't like bold flavors...the guys love it, though, it's like steak.....

Grilled London Broil w/ Rosemary

- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 T dried rosemary
- 1 T black pepper
- 3/4 T salt

Score the meat on both sides diagonally ( small, diagonal cuts on either side, forming a diamond pattern - don't go too deep, just enough to let the marinade seep in). Marinate steak for a few hours and broil steak for 10 minutes on each side (or longer, depending on the thickness of the meat) Slice and serve!

Made this tonight and it was awesome! I would lessen the pepper next time though because it was too much for me, and maybe add some garlic cloves.

thekosherchannel

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 12:04 am
We make a marinade of equal parts:
olive oil
honey
tamari or soy sauce, tamari has a lighter flavor and is not as salty
ketchup
add some smashed or minced garlic

Marinate no more than 24 hours or the fibers break down and it starts to get mushy, you don't want that.
Take it out of the marinade to cook.
I broil or grill 5 min each side for rare, 10 for med rare. You'll have done and well done slices on the ends.
Let it sit at least 15 minutes so the juices can be absorbed back into the meat before slicing across the grain.

So simple. IF there's any leftover it makes great fajitas, and we also make steak salad with pareve ranch dressing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics