Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Color of my potatoe kugel??
1  2  Next

mama mia 123

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 1:22 am
the inside of my kugel comes out greyish how do I get it to be YELLOW??????also my kugel always sticks to the bottom of the pan it looks burnt...what am I doing wrong??

LibraMommy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 3:23 am
My DH (great cook) says you either don't have enough oil or an oiled pan and as far as the gray, it's because the potatoes are turning brown. What you need to do is first do the onion and eggs mixture and then add the potatoes so that the potatoes won't be "exposed" to the air.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 4:42 am
The key is to grate your potatoes last (mix everything else in the bowl) and then wash the grated potato well with cold water. Squeeze to remove any liquid, mix with the rest of the ingredients and immediately put it in to bake. This gives you a bright white kugel.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:08 am
Do you grease the bottom of the pan? What temp. do you bake it on?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:13 am
I find that first preparing the mixture of eggs, oil spices, then grating the potatoes and onions together (I think the onion helps keep it from browning) and then mixing immediately into the liquids keeps it white. Also, working fast and getting it into the hot oven as soon as it ready helps.

lkwdwife2009

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:14 am
Onion is the key to keeping it white (other than whitener-ask any caterer!) so I cut the onion(s) in quarters and grate a chunck in between every few potatoes. when all is done I mix with eggs, salt & pepper, no oil. Instead, I heat the oil in the pan in the oven for a few minutes and when hot, I pour the batter in, lightly toss and bake at 400.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:16 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I find that first preparing the mixture of eggs, oil spices, then grating the potatoes and onions together (I think the onion helps keep it from browning) and then mixing immediately into the liquids keeps it white. Also, working fast and getting it into the hot oven as soon as it ready helps.

I put eggs, oil and seasoning in the mixer. While it's running I grate the potatoes and then mix together, pour in greased pan, put in hot (at least 380) oven. Maybe after a half hour I lower.

Hope this helps OP; looks like everyone here has pretty similar techniques.

faigyl

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:21 am
Also, make sure you're using good Idaho potatoes. Whenever my husband buys me the cheap potatoes they always turn a yucky gray.

takeiteasy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:59 am
I read somewhere to put in a little lemon juice to keep it from getting gray. Onion also does it. If you dont want it to stick you have to use a teflon coated pan and heat the oil before putting in the batter.

momaholic

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:04 am
I do not think you need onions to make it white, because I dont use onion. The potatoes just can't sit out for long. I peel my potatoes and put them in a bowl of water. Then I put the eggs in the bowl b4 I grate the eggs. And I get a white kugel.

dolphin

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:15 am
Hi! the longer the potato mixture sits the more brown it will get. You should first put in the eggs, oil and spices and then add the potatoes last.. Then your kugel will come out nice and white. Also spray the pan very well with a pam spray and then the kugel wont stick!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:23 am
Also, any potatoes that have been peeled must be soaking in ice cold water. The must be underneath the water!

MOM222

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:59 am
One more thing. Make sure your oven is preheated.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 12:21 pm
lkwdwife2009 wrote:
Onion is the key to keeping it white (other than whitener-ask any caterer!) so I cut the onion(s) in quarters and grate a chunck in between every few potatoes. .

My Bubby makes tons of potato kugel for years and they are always white/yellow. Her secret is to switch off grating the onions and potatoes. I do this and never have brown kugel (and she uses the cheapest potatoes in the store)

Ronit

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 12:26 pm
I preheat the oven & place the pan with the oil in the oven.

While the oil is heating up-

I grate the potaoes & onion in the food processor. When half of the potatoes are in, I add the eggs- this way it's mixed in.

Once everything is grated, I remove the fp cover & add the salt, black pepper, & heated oil to the bowl ( why get two bowls dirty).

Then I pour it into a pyrex & bake. I start baking it at 450 and then lower it after about 45- 1 hour.

It never gets gray. Oh yum - we love potato kugel here.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 12:48 pm
I read in a cookbook about putting in zuccini

reachout

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 4:24 pm
I never put in onions. I don't like the taste. You must preheat the oven before and don't let the potatoes exposed to air for too long. I bake 5 lbs potatoes.. 550 50 min. then 350 for another hour.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:13 pm
My shvigger always has the perfect color and she says her secret is a little sprinkle of baking soda. I haven't personally tried it yet.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:27 pm
about the kugel sticking to the bottom:
the oil should poured into the baking pan, and heated in the oven until is sizzles
then swirl the hot oil and potato kugel batter together

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:30 pm
I put the oil in the pan and heat it while grating the stuff. Then I put it in the bowl after everything else is there already. Also, about the gray part, put potatoes in water after peeling until you grate them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes