Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Chof Bais Shvat -Yartzeit of Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 12:25 pm
The Rebbetzin knew what it meant to be the wife of the Rebbe. She wasn’t just a woman married to a great man who acquired the title of ‘rebbetzin’ thanks to him. She was the daughter of a Rebbe and knew precisely what sort of mesirus nefesh was required in this role. She knew how difficult and demanding being a Rebbetzin would be, even though in her father’s time, Lubavitch had not grown so large.

After the passing of the Rebbe Rayatz (R' Yosef Yitzchok, 6th Lub. Rebbe) when the Chassidim were forlorn, seemingly without a shepherd, the elder Chassidim turned to the Rebbe his son-in-law in the attempt to convince him to accept the nesius. The Rebbe adamantly refused. The Rebbetzin, with all her modesty and humility and the sacrifice it entailed, strongly stated that it wasn’t possible to make peace with the fact that the mesirus nefesh of generations would go down the drain (so to speak). It was her statement that carried the day.

However, shortly after accepting the nesius, the Rebbetzin chose to remain behind the scenes. She did this consistently and persistently. It was her choice and she lived this way until her last day. This was her greatness, her tznius.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 12:26 pm
Mrs. Fruma Junik relates:

When the Rebbe and Rebbetzin lived on New York Avenue, my husband Berel went to their home. When he passed the dining room he glanced at the table where he saw many sefarim and opened letters.

The Rebbetzin observed his glance and said, “I don’t look. I know that people rely on him.”

THERE’S NOBODY CLOSER

When the Rebbetzin listened to a farbrengen over a hookup and heard how the Rebbe spoke emotionally about some issue or another, to the tzibur at large, to individuals, or regarding some practice that the Rebbe opposed, she would say; “He thinks that they all care about Moshiach’s coming as he does.” Sometimes she would say, “Is there anybody closer to Hashem than he?”

stem

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 12:46 pm
RG wrote:
a short biography of Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka:

http://www.kehotonline.com/22shvat/

The picture on that page shows the Rebitzin wearing a hat, was it her custom to wear a hat on a shaitel, or was that picture just a one time thing? Thanks.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 12:50 pm
it was common lady's attire at the time

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:01 pm
It was actually Minhag Russia, is how the woman who did her sheitals, described her hat and sheital.

Motek

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 8:35 am
MOSHIACH IS THERE IN THE HOUSE

Mrs. Junik: During the court case about the sefarim, my son Meir spoke with the Rebbetzin on the telephone. He said to the Rebbetzin, “If only Moshiach would come already and redeem us from all suffering.” The Rebbetzin said - Moshiach is already among us, and we just have to acknowledge him.

My son said, “Moshiach is in your home. Tell him to reveal himself and redeem us.”

The Rebbetzin said, “You tell him, maybe he’ll listen to you.”

On Simchas Torah during the hakafos, my son went over to the Rebbe and said, “Rebbe, I have a story about the Rebbetzin and Moshiach.” The Rebbe leaned towards him slightly to listen to him but my son went blank and couldn’t say what he wanted to say. The Rebbe realized this had happened and said, “Better you should say l’chaim and sing a happy niggun.”

REFINEMENT

Mrs. Sarah Labkovsky relates: When I was a girl I once visited the Rebbetzin before going to learn in Gateshead Seminary in England. We sat on the coach and the Rebbetzin told me about Europe, how the people and culture there are different. Then she said how important it was to make good use of my time there.

The conversation went on and on and I didn’t know when to get up and go until the Rebbetzin stood up and said, “You’re surely very busy before you leave and I don’t want to keep you …”

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 9:34 am
THE REBBETZIN GOT INVOLVED

Mrs. Labkovsky: In the summer of 5746 (or 5747) when we were in the country, on the day before we were going to leave, I took the car with eight of my children and went shopping. My husband had already returned to the city with one of our sons.

I left early in the morning after we had finished packing. I knew I had the whole day ahead of me to buy school supplies for the children. In the meantime, my mother, Mrs. Temma Gurary, who was in New York, was trying to reach me by phone without success. My husband had lowered the volume on the phone and so we didn’t hear it ringing, and later on we had left the house.

As my mother grew more worried she called the Rebbetzin, with whom she was very friendly, and told her how concerned she was. The Rebbetzin calmed her down saying there was nothing to worry about and surely I would return shortly.

Around six in the evening, after repeated attempts to reach me, my mother called the Rebbetzin again and told her how she was extremely worried. The Rebbetzin asked her to wait, “I will ask my husband,” she said.

She soon returned with good news. “There’s nothing to worry about. By nine-thirty your daughter will return.” With a sigh of relief my mother hung up the phone and waited.

In the meantime it had started to pour while I was on my way back after shopping. Our summer home was on a hill with a winding road that led up to it. It was a two lane road but extremely narrow. It was a problem all year round, but in stormy weather it was really precarious.

I drove through the downpour with almost zero visibility. Whatever was not obscured by the rain was hidden by the fog. It had also started to grow dark, and the truth is, I was beside myself. I had eight children with me, and I knew that if a car descended the hill as we were climbing it, it would end in an accident. I drove in utter terror, praying that we make it safely, with the holy image of the Rebbe before me constantly. The children said pesukim and chapters of Tehillim.

When we finally arrived home, one of the neighbors greeted us saying, “Call your mother right away. She’s on pins and needles!”

I heard from my mother what had happened behind the scenes, and I realized we had had a miracle.

The next Sunday we took all the children for “dollars,” as we did before each new school year. Each child received a dollar from the Rebbe and we were about to leave when suddenly the Rebbe turned to me, “Labkovsky.” I turned around and the Rebbe said, “Don’t travel on the roads at night anymore.”

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 11:18 pm
Quote:
once, it was Purim and the rebbetzin fell on the floor, and broke her hand. one of the mashbaki"m (helpers) was there and wanted to drive her immediately to the doctor. The Rebbetzin refused - saying she`ll wait after the seudas Purim with the Rebbe, and that he should not tell a thing to the Rebbe - in order not to cause any tza`ar (pain) to the Rebbe! And so she sat with the broken arm till after the seuda acting like nothing happened and only after she went to the doctor.

Thanks for the story, but it's not exatcly accaruate!

The story as told over by R' Chesed Halberstam was printed in the english section of Chof Av 5765 issue (?) of the Beis Moshiach.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 11:35 pm
Quote:
You know about the famous picture of the Rebbe Rayatz and the Rebbe playing chess, which people said was played on Nittel Nacht. Some bachurim maintained that the picture was a forgery, and that the chess game was superimposed on the photo. They based their claim on the fact that the fingers in the picture look overly large, too large to look natural.

When the sefer "Yemei Breishis", (which the Rebbe looked over), came out this picture was printed in it on pg. 337. The caption reads; "this picture was taken when the frierdike Rebbe was in the frechtelsdorf (Austria), around 5697 (1937), where he stayed for health purposes. . . and the Doctor told the Rebbe to rest from deep and intelectual learning to stengthen his health. Then they played chess together". (see the above for further details).

youngmom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 2:42 pm
This is incredible, Motek.
Thank you for all this info.

goldrose

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 11:18 pm
Quote:
The story as told over by R' Chesed Halberstam was printed in the english section of Chof Av 5765 issue (?) of the Beis Moshiach.

stories from R'Ch.Halberstam are not exactly accurate either. Here is a nice story I heard directly from R'Halberstam, as you will see the details show some confusion on his part - he has told SO MANY stories, perhaps that is why he gets mixed up?

Anyway, here's the story:

(side note)R'Chessed Halberstam lived in the Rebbe's house from tav shin lamed until tav shin mem ches. (end side note)

People always used to ask, "we konw that the Rebbetzin is very knowledgeable in worldly matters but is this also with Torah?

One Friday, the Rebbetzin hurt her foot - she tore a ligament. She told Chesed not to tell the Rebbe because she didnt want to cause him any pain. But Chesed never kept anything from the Rebbe so he went and told him. The Rebbe said, "Dont let my wife know that I know."

So since the Rebbetzin couldnt walk on her foot, she and Chessed decided to set up as much food as possible on the table before the Rebbe came home.

By Kiddush, the REbbe said to the Rebbetzin, "you look very farmatert (tired, dont worry, just remain sitting."
Then came washing time and the Rebbetzin said, "Ich bin geven hungerik (I was hungry) so Chessed made kidush for me and I already washed and made Hamotze". So the Rebbe said, "how long ago, maybe you have to wash over again." So the rebbetzin began quoting some halachos...

Then came time for the soup and they both - Chessed and the Rebbetzin - didnt kow what to do. But the Rebbe solved the problem - he started to sing "azamer bishvachin" to the tune of "avinu malkeinu" and (here is the mix-up-details part) when he got up to "yegalun lan taamei" he went into dveikus and tears were falling freely. Chessed grabbed the opportunity and served the soup.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 9:58 am
SECRET MISSION

In Rostov during the terrible famine years, the Rebbe Rayatz asked his daughter to secretly bring food and candles to the Novordok Yeshiva in the city. The Rebbetzin was the perfect person for this secret mission, secretive – and yet most dignified. She did it regularly for a long period of time, without anybody knowing about it.

GREAT INTELLECT

The Rebbe Rayatz had a unique piercing look, and this very same look was discernible in the eyes of his daughter, the Rebbetzin. One can say with assurance that she inherited the broad and deep mochin of her father.

A SECRET VISIT

In 5714, the Rebbetzin made a secret visit to Paris that lasted a number of days, in order to gain information on the refugees then in Paris. A large percentage of Anash lived there under straitened circumstances (a large group lived in a hotel leased by the Joint, with thirty families living in thirty-six rooms, many of those families being blessed with numerous children, and they had to share a kitchen).

The Rebbetzin was very concerned about the situation and took an interest in all the details, and even visited the place without anybody knowing, at night, in order to see things for herself. In her tone, in her questions, and in her general approach, one could see genuine concern as a mother has for her children. Her comments displayed concern as well as great wisdom. Each question was carefully worded. With that very same wisdom, she was also able to avoid speaking about anything she declined to discuss.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 9:58 am
SCHNEERSON FROM ALL SIDES

The Rebbetzin was once visited by the chairman of the organization of descendents of the Alter Rebbe. They discussed the family tree in Eretz Yisrael and the Diaspora, and mentioned famous people in the family.

The Rebbetzin mentioned the fact that she was a Schneerson from both sides of her family, and that she retained the name upon her marriage too.

CARING AND HELPING

Once, when Mrs. Esther Sternberg’s father was in the hospital, the Rebbetzin called her and inquired as to how her father was doing. She asked who was watching over him and Mrs. Sternberg said that since she taught during the day, she went to see him right after work. The Rebbetzin asked, “Do you eat before you go?”

“No, I don’t have time, but I eat when I get home,” said Mrs. Sternberg.

The next day, early in the morning and before leaving the house, the Rebbetzin called her and said, “I looked into it and discovered that there’s a shop opposite the hospital where you can buy juice which is kosher and healthy. Before going up to the hospital, drink something so you’ll have strength …”

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 9:59 am
AN AMAZING CONNECTION

The Rebbe notes in a sicha that the Rebbe Rayatz’s grandmother, Rebbetzin Rivka, passed away in the month of Shevat (on the 10th), as did his mother, Rebbetzin Shterna Sarah (on the 13th), and his daughter, Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka (on the 22nd).

Rebbetzin Rivka asked for a cup of water, and soon thereafter passed away. The same thing happened with Rebbetzin Shterna Sarah. Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka once expressed the desire to go in a similar fashion when the time would come for her to pass on, and indeed she too felt ill and asked for a cup of water before she passed away.

OUR NACHAS

Somebody once said to the Rebbetzin that she and the Rebbe should merit to enjoy much nachas from the Chassidim. The Rebbetzin responded by saying, “Our nachas is when we hear that you have nachas …”

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 9:59 am
as told by Rabbi Shmuel Lew:

There’s a couple on shlichus in Riverdale; the wife is the daughter of Dr. Feldman, one of the Rebbe’s doctors. Since she was the doctor’s daughter, she and her husband, R’ Levi Shemtov had the zechus of receiving a bracha from the Rebbetzin before their marriage.

The Rebbetzin asked the chasan, “Are you the grandson of the Chassid, R’ Benzion Shemtov?”

When he said that he was, the Rebbetzin said, “Very good, because now I’m sure that your children will speak Yiddish.”

They got married but years went by without their having any children. I heard this story from Levi Shemtov himself a few months ago. “But,” Levi said, “we weren’t at all worried because the Rebbetzin had said that we would speak Yiddish to our children, and in order to do so, we had to have children! We were also sure that we would have more than one child, because the Rebbetzin had referred to children.”

Two years ago, after fourteen years of marriage, the Shemtovs had twins, a boy and a girl. They are named Menachem Mendel and Chaya Mushka. Levi ends the story by saying, “We didn’t lose hope for a moment, since we knew the Rebbetzin had the ability to give brachos.”

The entry in the Ha’Yom Yom for 21 Shevat is about the obligation that Chassidic women and girls have to lead the way. The entry for 23 Shevat is about the Alter Rebbe and his Rebbetzin and her greatness. How interesting it is that, sandwiched in between, 22 Shevat has no reference to the greatness of women or Rebbetzins.

I heard Chassidim say that this is similar to 7 Adar, the date marking the passing of Moshe Rabeinu, which falls out around parshas Tetzave. This parsha is remarkable in that it is the only one, since the birth of Moshe, which does not mention Moshe’s name. So too, the Ha’Yom Yom for 22 Shevat does not mention Jewish women.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 10:04 am
By R. Kaminker

Few knew Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka a’h. With outstanding modesty, she hid herself from the public. It is hard to describe such a noble woman.

We spoke with a few people who visited with the Rebbetzin. These little stories don’t do justice to this lofty personage, for each story reveals only a drop while concealing much more.

THIS IS THE PRESENT!

R’ Reuven Galperin: “When the Rebbetzin was a girl, she sometimes accompanied her father, the Rebbe Rayatz, on his trips throughout Russia. The Rebbe once went with his daughter to the home of a Chassid in the town of Oryol. The Rebbe sat down to talk and to take care of whatever he had come to accomplish, and he sent his young daughter to play in the other room with the Chassid’s daughter.

The adults closed the door and the two children played. In the middle of their game, the Rebbetzin said to her new friend, ‘Should I give you a present?’

What child would refuse a gift? The Chassid’s daughter readily agreed and little Chaya Mushka opened the door a crack and let her friend peek into the next room. She pointed at the man sitting there and said, ‘Do you see him? That’s the present! That’s my father.’”

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 10:05 am
THE PRESENTS THE REBBETZIN RECEIVED

“It’s hard for me to describe the Rebbetzin,” says Rebbetzin Sima Ralbag. “She shunned the limelight and despised praise, and maybe I shouldn’t publicize personal things about her.

“Some people brought the Rebbetzin gifts, and when they came from Eretz Yisrael the Rebbetzin only accepted gifts made in Eretz Yisrael. So every time we visited the Rebbetzin, we made sure that our gifts were products made in Eretz Yisrael.

“In the beginning of the 60’s, the chief rabbi of Turkey, a country which was Israel’s enemy at the time, received permission to visit Eretz Yisrael. It was unexpected and my husband a’h welcomed him and was responsible for hosting him. We arranged trips for him throughout the length and breadth of the country, and even got permission to enter places that were off-limits to ordinary tourists.

“We visited Masada where there is a huge edifice that Herod built. Our distinguished guest was allowed to take a few small stones that fell off this historic building. We decided to make a gift for the Rebbetzin out of these stones. We brought them to a craftsman and he set them in a medallion on a chain.

“The Rebbetzin was very moved by this gift and thanked us warmly for it.”

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 10:05 am
NOBILITY

Rabbi Sholom Dovber Butman visited the Rebbe and Rebbetzin many times. He relates:

“The Rebbe’s grandfather and my grandfather were brothers and I was invited many times to the home of the Rebbe and Rebbetzin. In the 50’s, the Rebbe lived in a large apartment building on New York Avenue, on the third floor, and I was one of the bachurim who built their succa.

“The Rebbetzin always made sure to open the door for me herself, even though one of her assistants, who were always present, could have done it instead of her. She never forwent this gesture of opening the door or accompanying her guests out.

“When she didn’t feel well, and was too weak to do it herself, she sat in the living room and lifted herself up slightly when people came in. Our conversations generally revolved around our family, or on other events that happened within the family.

“One of the amazing things that characterized the Rebbetzin was her ability to listen. Whoever spoke to her remembers the good feeling she gave her visitors, and the interest she took in each one.

“The Rebbetzin’s uniqueness was seen in every expression on her noble face, in her hand motions, in her manner of speaking. She spoke for hours with people, inquiring, taking an interest, but mostly listening. Most people interrupt others, but the Rebbetzin always listened till the end of a sentence, waiting with her full attention and patience until the person finished speaking. Only then, did she say something or express her opinion. She never cut off anyone in the middle of a sentence.

“Her special relationship with children is also well-known. Whenever I visited her, there were refreshments on the nicely set table, and when I visited her with my children, I could see that she made the effort to prepare refreshments they would like.

“In 5740, I flew to the Rebbe for Tishrei along with my oldest daughter and my twin sons, and I visited the Rebbetzin on Chol Ha’Moed Succos. She served ice cream and cookies to the children and invited them to go eat in the succa.

“The last time I visited the Rebbetzin was 11 Nisan 5747, a year before she passed away. I visited the Rebbe on his birthday, 11 Nissan, for a number of years, and on that occasion, I visited the Rebbetzin too.

“I called her beforehand to find out when a visit would be convenient for her. However, the Rebbetzin didn’t feel well and I didn’t want to bother her. I said that I realized it wasn’t a good time for visiting.

“The Rebbetzin seemed not to understand what I was talking about and graciously invited me to come.

“When I entered the house, I was immediately struck by the smells of Pesach cooking. We spoke about the family, as always, and the Rebbetzin inquired about how everyone was doing. I told her that my wife Devorah sent Pesach food along with me to my daughter who lives in Crown Heights, and the Rebbetzin said we probably provided her with all her holiday needs.

“I responded by saying that I smelled that the Rebbetzin was also already prepared for Pesach, and she enjoyed this comment.”

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 10:06 am
MY HUSBAND IS AN INTELLECTUAL

The Rebbe’s most devoted Chassid was the Rebbetzin. She devoted her entire life to his needs and desires and always spoke of him with the utmost bittul and esteem.

Mrs. Mira Raskin was a friend of the Rebbetzin, and she relates:

“One day I went for a routine visit to the Rebbetzin. We sat at the table and spoke, as we always did. My son refused to enter the house and he waited for me outside. His biggest fear was that the Rebbe would suddenly enter the house.

“The Rebbetzin, with her famous sensitivity, went outside and asked him to come in. He couldn’t refuse the Rebbetzin and he came in and sat down next to me. The Rebbetzin and I continued our conversation but my son was a nervous wreck. It was late evening and the Rebbe was likely to walk in at any moment. Indeed, the Rebbe arrived and we could hear the car being parked and the approaching footsteps. My son pushed my elbow under the table, indicating we should flee.

“The Rebbetzin had sharp eyes and missed nothing, and she noticed the imperceptible movement of my son’s hand. She understood his fears and she smiled and said, ‘My husband is an intellectual and doesn’t mix into my conversations.’

The Rebbe entered the house and as though he didn’t see us, he went up to his office with nary a glance at us.”

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 10:11 am
I WANTED TO WISH

“I would find myself amazed, openmouthed, by the Rebbetzin’s nobility,” says Mira Raskin. “From the following story you can learn another important detail about the Rebbetzin’s many qualities.

“On one of the occasions that the Rebbetzin called my house, my son, who had just come home from yeshiva, answered the phone. The Rebbetzin told him it was ‘Mussia Schneersohn,’ and she politely asked how he was. She said that although she wanted to speak to me, since she imagined how he just came home from yeshiva hungry and tired, it would be better if she called another time.

“My son decided to fudge the truth a bit and said it was fine, his mother was available and he had already eaten.

“This was at seven in the evening, and when we finished talking it was very late. Seconds after we hung up, the phone rang again and once again, my son picked up the phone.

“It was the Rebbetzin again. He quickly said that surely she wanted to speak to me and he was about to give me the phone when the Rebbetzin said she wanted to speak to him. She called especially for him and said, ‘Since I don’t know whether we will be able to speak again before Purim, and Purim is approaching, I wanted to wish you a happy Purim.’”
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note