Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais yaakov Miami elementary school

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 6:45 pm
Moving to Miami from a very frum out of town community. Looking into this school for my youngest daughter. I want very frum without pressure to get in with secular culture (movies, dress, etc.) but most important to me is good middos, love of Hashem, ahavas yisroel. Anyone have any idea if this school may have too much of an in town / Lakewood style atmosphere, for example maybe not being as warm and friendly to everyone if they’re not dressed in the latest frum fashions, etc? Not that any other school will be better, but I don’t want to go too much this way.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 7:03 pm
I do think the school will be closer to a Lakewood style than the other schools in Miami are. But this is speculation, it's not in existence yet...

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 7:56 pm
we looked into this a lot we applied here and toras emes .. I’m coming from Lakewood we moved about a year ago Smile I was nervous about what you are saying since it def is being a more mainstream bais yaakov school .. seems like you can’t know for sure since it did not open yet but sounds it’s def being more in town vibe than the other schools just cuz it’s attracting all the more to the right crowd , but again it’s miami so it’s def going to be a lot more warm and out of towny than a lakewood school .. this is the impression we got !

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
Moving to Miami from a very frum out of town community. Looking into this school for my youngest daughter. I want very frum without pressure to get in with secular culture (movies, dress, etc.) but most important to me is good middos, love of Hashem, ahavas yisroel. Anyone have any idea if this school may have too much of an in town / Lakewood style atmosphere, for example maybe not being as warm and friendly to everyone if they’re not dressed in the latest frum fashions, etc? Not that any other school will be better, but I don’t want to go too much this way.

You also may want to see if there is any more space since they are just starting out, they are only opening one class per grade (pre-k, kindergarten, and 1st) For sure the kindergarten is already full. I am not sure about the other grades.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:30 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
You also may want to see if there is any more space since they are just starting out, they are only opening one class per grade (pre-k, kindergarten, and 1st) For sure the kindergarten is already full. I am not sure about the other grades.

pre-k is also full , don’t know about first

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Obviously since it’s only opening for this coming school year, this is all just speculation. As an NMB resident for the past 5-10 years, here’s what I think.

It will definitely be the most mainstream BY type school in the area. You will have the least outside influence of culture and movies etc. I’m assuming there will be a focus on middos and Ahavas Yisroel, etc. Most likely though, there will be the most in town dress and style there, because it will be the most in town style school. Again, nothing definite, just my assumptions!

OTOH, in Toras Emes there is a much bigger mix. There will be girls with different cultural backgrounds and more exposure, but definitely not all. There is still a nice group in each grade that is more sheltered.
Because of BYM opening, they are trying to keep the more sheltered/yeshivish kids together because they know that is important to many of the parents who chose to stay. The school most likely will have the more out of town feel and less social/clothing pressure by comparison because of the mix of types though. In general Toras Emes definitely focuses a lot on middos and love of Hashem (it has a chofetz Chaim hanhala, in general that is a big chofetz Chaim focus).

I think you have a lot of positives with each school. If you want a more in town yeshivish vibe, definitely check out BYM. If you appreciate the benefits of a more out of town and relaxed mix, check out Toras Emes. I’m sure you can reach out to both schools to meet the administrators and ask questions.

(I’m only mentioning these two schools because they are in NMB. Yeshiva Elementary is also a nice option but it’s located in MB.)

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:41 pm
You could look into Yeshiva Elementary School as well
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics