Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Substitute for oil

beth

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 3:24 pm
I want to substitute something for 3/4 cup oil in dressing.Any suggestions?

greeneyes

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 4:37 pm
What kind of salad is it?

Whenever a salad recipe calls for a lot of oil, I cut down on it significantly. For example, if the recipe called for 3/4 cup, I'd use 1-2 Tbsp.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 4:47 pm
I'd both cut it down AND use a nutritious oil. That said, if you use a recipe with orange juice, for example, it's already liquidly.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 5:22 pm
Do you want to cut down on the oil, or eliminate it entirely?

bookworm

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 5:42 pm
this is what I do for salads.
in my new diet ,I am allowed 1 tsp oil a day.so I make a delicious tomato sauce,with spices of my choice,and chilli powder.
than I also stir fry onion ,garlic and red pepper.mix the lot and let it cook 10 minutes .
when my salad is ready I season it with freshly squeezed lemon juice,and pour the hot tomato sauce on top.
I make a weeks supply,so whenever I have a salad,I heat up some sauce in the microwave,and pour it on my salad .yum

bookworm

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 5:42 pm
this is what I do for salads.
in my new diet ,I am allowed 1 tsp oil a day.so I make a delicious tomato sauce,with spices of my choice,and chilli powder.
than I also stir fry onion ,garlic and red pepper.mix the lot and let it cook 10 minutes .
when my salad is ready I season it with freshly squeezed lemon juice,and pour the hot tomato sauce on top.
I make a weeks supply,so whenever I have a salad,I heat up some sauce in the microwave,and pour it on my salad .yum

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 2:37 pm
I've seen in the Mishpacha many times that a healthier alternative in salad dressings is to substitute most of the oil for water. A lot of dressings need the liquid for the consistency, but not the fat. The salad needs a little oil so that the spices and things stick to the veggies, but if a recipe calls for 8 Tbsp. oil, try substituting 7 Tbsp. water and 1 Tbsp. oil. I've done it before and trust me, there is no difference in taste!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics