Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
CLEANING DIAMOND RING
1  2  Next

Hee Hee

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:09 pm
Does anyone have tips on cleaning polishing a diamond ring, besides for giving it in to do proffesinally.(that tends to be expensive and doesnt last to long)

shev

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:13 pm
I clean it with alcohol

happyone

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:19 pm
Believe it or not, toothpaste works great.

Zus

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:43 pm
Yeah I was going to say toothbrush (soft!) with toothpaste.

PIP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:51 pm
toothopaste!!

hadasa

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:53 pm
I put it in a cup with water and a bit of bleach for a few hours, until I see the dirt coming off.
You have to be careful with this method, though - a relative of mine left hers soaking in pure bleach for a few days, and found the diamond floating alone - the gold just disintegrated! So make sure to dilute the bleach and not to leave it in too long.

JewishMother18

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:54 pm
I grew up in the jewellery business and we always used to tell our customers to put their diamond rings into a glass of whiskey - comes up sparkling and no brushing required.

mosma

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 5:27 pm
how long do you keep it in the whiskey? does any whiskey/bourbon work?

busydev

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 5:32 pm
there is also haggarty jewlery cleaner. works wonders and it comes out sparkling for weeks!! and it comes with a soft brush to help clean it if the liquid isnt enough

shirafruma

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 6:46 pm
my husband is a jeweler and he says toothpaste, a soft cloth, and a toothpick will also do.

cheeseblintz

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 7:39 pm
I keep a toothbrush near the sink and when I do dishes, I put a tiny bit of dishsoap on the toothbrush and brush the diamond clean. it comes out great and takes less than a minute.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 8:43 pm
Hee Hee wrote:
Does anyone have tips on cleaning polishing a diamond ring, besides for giving it in to do proffesinally.(that tends to be expensive and doesnt last to long)

I've never paid for my rings to get cleaned. Whenever I'm near a jewelry store I just ask them to clean it and its always free.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 9:16 pm
Mr clean or ammonia works grea.t How dirty is this ring ? If you clean it often, it will be easier on you.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 11:36 pm
I've been told by more than one jeweler that toothpaste loosens the ring.

I put some powder laundry detergent in hot water (from the percolator) and let it soak overnight. Every time I do it, people ask me if I got new jewelry because it's so sparkling. I don't need to touch it.

Sherri

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 4:04 am
I have done the toothpaste but now you're worrying me. I think I will try the detergent method tonight.

JewishMother18

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 5:52 am
mosma wrote:
how long do you keep it in the whiskey? does any whiskey/bourbon work?

I leave it overnight and it's beautifully clean the next morning.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 2:47 pm
I soak mine once a week overnight in Efferdent (tablets to clean dentures)

GingerSpice

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 3:51 pm
I read that toothpaste is abrasive and will slowly affect your diamond and the gold.
I soaked mine in warm water with some dish detergent and then I used an old/soft toothbrush to clean it. Worked wonderfully Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 4:35 pm
Ladies, how dirty is your jewelry that you need to soak it overnight? If you wash weekly, you will find that 10 minutes is enough.

I wash all my everyday jewelry every week.

GingerSpice

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 6:24 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Ladies, how dirty is your jewelry that you need to soak it overnight? If you wash weekly, you will find that 10 minutes is enough.

I wash all my everyday jewelry every week.

embarrassed I'll admit I hadn't cleaned mine in a while but a few minutes still worked fine. Overnight seems a bit much.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics