Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Electronics bought to a non Jew

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 7:25 am
I read somewhere that if you buy an electronic appliance to a [gentile] you must bring it to a Jewish technician to take apart and rebuild it. I have never heard of that, neither has my dh. Did you?

yummydd

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 7:36 am
AFAIK this is only if you want to avoid having to toivel it.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 8:20 am
Yes, it's for things like toasters, handblenders, sandwich makers etc that need to be toivelled because they come into direct contact with food.

Since a Jew took it apart (it has to be professionally, not what anyone knows how to do) and built it again, it's considered that the Jew made it and it doesn't need toivelling.

louche

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 12:42 pm
According to most big kashrus agencies, you can safely toivel food prep appliances provided you give them enough time to dry out. That's the critical issue: the wiring must dry completely before use. A blow-dryer can help dry up the last vestiges of moisture after you've let the item air-dry for a few days.

Another tactic is to bury or fill the appliance with raw rice and leave it for a few days. This is what technicians suggest for cell phones, keyboards and other small electronics that have gotten wet.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 12:56 pm
Yes, I know people have successfully done that. Other peole just avoid buying that kind of appliance.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 1:13 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Other peole just avoid buying that kind of appliance.

What do you mean? People don't buy a stick handblender or a sandwich toaster because they have to pay a frum electrician a few $$ to take it apart? shock Either you need it or you don't.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 7:10 pm
Yes, SOME people don't buy the kind of electronics that have to be toiveled but it might ruin the appliance. That's what the rov recommended.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 10:49 am
Let me ask,

If I buy a proctor silex toaster oven from Eluzer's eluctronics, I don't need to toivel it, but if I buy the same exact toaster from proctor silex, at Big Bubbas, electronics, I need to toivel it? Because that is silly, If its made from the same company, it really doesn't matter where I bought it, either way I would need to toivel it.

Anyways, when it comes to a toaster, you only need to toivel the parts that would have direct contact, such as the trays. Same with a hand blender, it would only need to be immersed enough to get the blade all wet, which would be perfectly safe for the appliance, as its meant to get wet to that point.

A sandwich maker is more problematic, but there are ways of doing it, same with a hot water pot.

Zus

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:18 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Let me ask,

If I buy a proctor silex toaster oven from Eluzer's eluctronics, I don't need to toivel it, but if I buy the same exact toaster from proctor silex, at Big Bubbas, electronics, I need to toivel it? Because that is silly, If its made from the same company, it really doesn't matter where I bought it, either way I would need to toivel it.

It was manufactured by a non-jew, which means that at some point it was owned by a non-jew. No matter that it was owned by a jew after that. So no it doesn't matter where you bought it.
People often think that things bought in EY don't need to be toveled, but everything is made in china nowadays so you still have to tovel everything (almost).

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:37 am
Zus wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Let me ask,

It was manufactured by a non-jew, which means that at some point it was owned by a non-jew. No matter that it was owned by a jew after that. So no it doesn't matter where you bought it.
People often think that things bought in EY don't need to be toveled, but everything is made in china nowadays so you still have to tovel everything (almost).

That's what I was pointing out. The whole idea of if you buy from a jew it doesn't need tevilah is highly misunderstood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions