Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Praying at the gym
Previous  1  2  3

dleah

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 6:15 am
mom22- that's part of my point. If we are not going to have abig argument about whether or not people can daven while also saying dvorim btelim ( at best) then, maybe we should also not argue about whether women can daven while exercising.

elisecohen

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 6:28 am
But she was not talking about davenning per se--I mean I can't imagine anyone saying it was fine to say shemoneh esrei on the treadmill in shorts and hair uncovered (but if someone did ask the shailoh and their rav said it is okay for her, okay, I am not arguing with her rav on that). She sees girls saying tehillim or learning, and I don't see why should a woman should not be reading tehillim at that time; as someone else said, it is good to direct her mind towards heilige thoughts at any time, rather than the mundane.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 7:13 am
Crayon, if you don't know the answer, and I do, I don't think you should make me feel bad about posting it.

You cetainly shouldn't vehemently state things that aren't nec. true!

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 7:42 am
dleah wrote:
Quote:
Yes, you are wrong. Jewish people don't think they are holy, they are holy. The urge to do/think/speak something else during the time they have - to their credit-set aside for davening (witness the fact that they are in shul) comes from the "left ventricle of the heart" the seat of the yetzer hora, and drives of the animal soul.

sarayehudis, just to clarify, I copied and pasted the original poster's post and changed gym to synagogue and exercise to gossiping. Just trying to make a point that was clearly lost on most pple. Your comment to my post should have been made to the original poster.

LOL. dleah, I totally did not realize. However, I agree with Mom22 who says the comparison doesn't jive. Maybe that's why it went past me. What

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 8:18 am
lol

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 8:34 am
elisecohen wrote:
But she was not talking about davenning per se--I mean I can't imagine anyone saying it was fine to say shemoneh esrei on the treadmill in shorts and hair uncovered (but if someone did ask the shailoh and their rav said it is okay for her, okay, I am not arguing with her rav on that). She sees girls saying tehillim or learning, and I don't see why should a woman should not be reading tehillim at that time; as someone else said, it is good to direct her mind towards heilige thoughts at any time, rather than the mundane.

I cant say for certain as of course I am not a posek, but we already mentioned that a woman is allowed to daven naked, nothing on at all. she is allowed to just cross her feet so that her erva is covered. thats all that is supposed to be done. she does not even have to have her hair covered.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 8:37 am
elisecohen wrote:
elise, good point, but like I said my objection is to be saying words of Torah and tefillah while not properly covered. I'm not saying that <paskening> technically, dry halacha you can't. That's a question for a Rav.

But I just can't imagine myself saying a brocho in such attire, although during tevillah we do.... If I wanted to say tehillim while exercising- to which I have no objection, on the contrary- I'd make sure to do my exercise properly covered.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 10:25 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
But I just can't imagine myself saying a brocho in such attire, although during tevillah we do.... If I wanted to say tehillim while exercising- to which I have no objection, on the contrary- I'd make sure to do my exercise properly covered.

Okay, so YOU can't...but people were trying to be melamed zechus on the women who do this practice, so your hergesh doesn't really apply, and in fact is only serving to be the opposite of melamed zechus on these women...

realeez

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 10:32 am
Shouldn't you be in one place, and not doing anything else while davening? That's what first came to my mind.

Like Asher Yatzer - We had a teacher who said "asher yatzar is NOT tefilas haderech so don't say it while you are going somewhere!"

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 11:12 am
Quote:
Okay, so YOU can't...but people were trying to be melamed zechus on the women who do this practice, so your hergesh doesn't really apply, and in fact is only serving to be the opposite of melamed zechus on these women...
Hey, I'm all for limud zchus, but I'm talking about l'chatchillah, not after the fact.

If I was planning to exercise, and I know I'd want to say Tehillim on my treadmill....I'd plan my attire for that. What's wrong with pointing that out, as a solution to an apparent, but unnecessary contradiction?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 11:20 am
Nothing wrong...just a) it might not actually be l'chatchila (I don't know), and b) it's still a limud zechus on these ladies, so pointing out that maybe these women should be dressed accordingly takes away from the limud zechus. 8)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions